Multiball vs off block

This user has no status.
Hello fellow trainees or knowledgeable coaches.
What's your take on drills that are multiball driven or off block driven? I've seen some videos
online that use multiball (say for a Falkenberg) and since the ball is more controllable by the coach, it seems that
you can really focus on the shot and footwork. The coach can amp it up or tone it
down.
The off block drills have the advantage of receiving a ball off the rubber but is directly
connected to your shot quality and the quality of your blocking opponent. Much more
game type simulation.

What are your thoughts? I suppose both should be part of your training regime...

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Multiball is to build up a precise technique through incessant repetition against similar (near identical if possible) placement/spin. Also used to build up stamina and speed, which is perhaps its more important use at higher levels.

Vs. block is more fun and mellow. More variance, more game-like.

Personally I'd rather practice only with a partner but yeah a good multiball practice will leave you breathless like no other practice

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Both are good and useful. Multiball requires skills on the part of the feeder that not al have, though.

One of the things I particularly like is the training I get when feeding multiballs. It stresses my consistency, and has me observe my training partner in a way that I find really helpful — because you don't just feed balls, you feed the same balls in a frequency/pace that is within reach of your partner, but barely so. And finding a good pace, and keeping it, is a challenge all of itself.

Reactions: CroneOne