Interview with Wang Liqin

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
wang_liqin_30_08_10_Large.jpg
by courtesy of the ITTF

I found this interview by tabletennista done by Patrick Tan. Before 2011 WTTC, Wang Liqin accepted an exclusive interview with Morning News where he talks about love, life and retirement. He allowed people to not only hear his words of wisdom but also to see his other side which is private.

1.) Is there any pressure for WTTC? Does the younger generation catch you off guard?

Wang: Yes, there is pressure but its okay. As for the new generation, I think it’s not “off guard.” In the past 2 years, the competition was really fierce. But for us veterans, there will be no good competition if there will be no new entry to catch up with. I think having the younger generation is also important where we get to improve more on our skills.

2.) Last year 2010, you had “setbacks.” After these, do you consider yourself to have learned and grown?

Wang: 2010 was indeed difficult. But I had experiences both success and failure in previous years. I believe that low moments are requirements in making an athlete.

3.) Have you thought about retiring?

Wang: To be honest, yes, I though about it. Right now, I have been enriching myself, and one of them is reading. I think whether now or later, it’s important to enrich yourself with other things. However, currently there are still a lot of matches for me and I feel more energy towards the sport so issues about retirement are temporarily set aside.

4.) Do you still remember getting the first runner up in the Yokohama WTTC? Particularly that night where you said you were highly drunk, what were your moods that night?

Wang: I pretty recalled what happened that night very clearly. 2009 wasn’t easy for me. A lot of people said that I was just average and that made me think so much about myself. If you ask me if I want the championships, I certainly want to be champion. Who wouldn’t want? However, I was able to live up to their expectation and eventually lost to Wang Hao. I was so disappointed that time. But now, I already know how to accept results, good or bad.

5.) You have been so persistent for so many years. Why are you doing it? Do you still want to prove yourself? You already have done that long ago.

Wang: I think being persistent is a very common word to describe athletes. On a bigger picture, I do it for the glory of our country, while on a smaller scale, I’m doing it because it’s my responsibility. In the National team, I just want to win, simple as that.

6.) In what state do you want to retire? When you are so old that can hardly hit a ball or standing at your highest point?

Wang: I really haven’t thought carefully about that matter. I guess I just need to listen to my heart on that matter but right now, I am still very warm towards TT. Maybe, I just need to wait for that time where I feel a need for a change.

7.) We all know that you have a special pursuit for perfection. For most people, you are under the sun. Was it the reason why you still don’t want to retire?

Wang: If you’re going to ask me this question before, I would say yes. But now, I would say no. Currently, I don’t mind what other people say. I’m more concerned with the views and opinions of my coaches and teammates, because we are a team.

8.) Have you ever thought life after retirement? Marriage life? Twins?

Wang: I never thought of it, that’s the truth. Me and Liu Yanchi have been together for more than a year, not really that long. The topic about marriage is still quite distant.

9.) Do you mind other people so concerned about your private life, especially about marriage?

Wang: Like I’ve said, the more important things are the views of the people close to me. But I think, with my old age, I guess it’s time to consider such issues. No fuss about it.

10.) Is marriage not the only thing that will make you retire?

Wang: I do not think there is a relationship between career and marriage. I left home very early and my parents have been my solid supporter and I hope my future wife will also do that for me, who will support me in my career and my life. If I have to give up TT for my career, I can certainly not do that. So for a very short period of time, I just want to make good use of my career and to cherish this last time.

Even though Wang Liqin doesn’t care so much anymore with the opinions of others, let’s have some discussion over here. Do you think Wang Liqin should already retire? What are your views on his answers?

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I saw him play against Zjang Jike yesterday at the pro tour finals, and even my gf who does not play TT could see the difference between him and the younger player. Wanq Liqin is an absolute star, one of my favourite ever players. He also looks like a really nice guy. But alas, I think his playing days at the very top level are now over.....that does not make him any less of a great player, a player who ruled TT for almost a decade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I don't think he should retire just yet. If he's still got the will to pursue it, I think he should go for another Grand Slam Title. While he may not be able to get a medal in the Olympics with the 2 slot restriction, who's to say he couldn't win a World Cup, or World Championship. You all have to admit that even to this day his forehand dominates the National A Team. His backhand is weaker and he doesn't move around as much as he used to, but if he went all out for a final season I don't doubt that he could put some more titles under his name. He's got the experience and he's still the strongest member of the National Team in terms of conditioning.

If he can just find a crossroads of powering that forehand in I'd love to see him dominate the sport again for one last year.

Last edited:
Mar 2011
I don't think he should retire just yet. If he's still got the will to pursue it, I'd like to see him go for his Grand Slam, but as for getting it that's going to be tougher than ever before and to be honest how awesome would that be if he were to get it?

I agree with you Richard. I mean, why should he? As long as he enjoys it and able to play at the highest level, I don't see why not. WLQ has always been my hero, aside from my coach Li Furong...and dread the day he calls it quit.