Liu Guoliang talks about 2012 Olympics

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
liuguoliang12_Large.jpg
courtesy of ITTF

Again, I found this interview by tabletennista that is worth sharing with everyone. Liu Guoliang candidly talks about the Chinese team and the upcoming Olympics.

Everyone is just excited for the final announcement of the Chinese delegates for the 2012 London Olympics. Since there are limited slots this year, China has to make a very hard decision and choose the best possible players they have. Among the decision makers, the head coach of the men's team Liu Guoliang shoulders the most pressure. Along with this, the head coach graced an interview and expressed his views over the London Olympics. In addition, Liu Guoliang acknowledged Wang Liqin's performance while he also admitted that Zhang Jike needs more discipline.

The 2012 London Olympics is just ten months away from now and the excitement is just in the air. Along with this excitement is the anticipation for the final list of China which we all know are facing a hard time in deciding for their Olympic delegates. To give some light, Liu Guoliang finally talked about the upcoming Olympics with more depth.

Reporter: Everyone is just showing their concern for the upcoming Olympics. Is the list of the Chinese delegates fixed already?

Liu Guoliang: Currently, the candidates for the Olympic Games is certainly not identified yet. Including Wang Liqin, it doesn't mean that he has no chance to break into the London Olympics. In a span of ten months, anything can change.

Reporter: Wang Hao and Zhang Jike are already in the list. Since Zhang Jike achieved this year's world championship title, is he ensured of a slot already?

Liu Guoliang: It's still hard for me to answer that. After all, he got one title. However in our team, we have players who got more championship titles. What I can only say is that he has equal chances just like the others. The player with the most stable condition will certainly get through.

In Rotterdam, Zhang Jike defeated the world's number one Wang Hao and the number two player, Timo Boll. I was actually a bit surprised with his achievement. He showed a very good, explosive and bloody performance in the arena and that is his biggest advantage. However, technically speaking, he is still not good enough and he still have a number of problems. He also needs more discipline.

Reporter: Compared to the previous Beijing Olympics, did our advantage decrease?

Liu Guoliang: Overall, our advantage is still there. After all the Chinese table tennis team has a good foundation and we are also the best team. As for the overall strength of the players, it is beyond doubt that we are the strongest. However, in the individual level, we are going through a replacement period. This advantage is indeed shrinking.

Reporter: Would our goal in London is to sweep all the medals?

Liu Guoliang: I cannot dare say that but I must go to war for every gold medal. We cannot just give up just because of increased difficulty.

Reactions: Zarif Hossain
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
View attachment 952
courtesy of ITTF

Reporter: Wang Hao and Zhang Jike are already in the list. Since Zhang Jike achieved this year's world championship title, is he ensured of a slot already?

Liu Guoliang: It's still hard for me to answer that. After all, he got one title. However in our team, we have players who got more championship titles. What I can only say is that he has equal chances just like the others. The player with the most stable condition will certainly get through.

In Rotterdam, Zhang Jike defeated the world's number one Wang Hao and the number two player, Timo Boll. I was actually a bit surprised with his achievement. He showed a very good, explosive and bloody performance in the arena and that is his biggest advantage. However, technically speaking, he is still not good enough and he still have a number of problems. He also needs more discipline.

This interview defenitley shows head coach Liu goliang unfavoritism for Zjk, and favoritism for Wang hao!, which i can't stand (not wang hao but the prejudice toward Zjk)!! Rumors are that this is because Wang hao played side by side with liugoliang when he was still playing...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
View attachment 952
courtesy of ITTF

This interview defenitley shows head coach Liu goliang unfavoritism for Zjk, and favoritism for Wang hao!, which i can't stand (not wang hao but the prejudice toward Zjk)!! Rumors are that this is because Wang hao played side by side with liugoliang when he was still playing...

I don't know its hard to say, there are obvious reasons why Liu would like Wang Hao, since he probably has a greater connection with him, since they are both penholders and Liu had a lot of influence on the pioneering of the reverse penhold backhand. However, there are also good reason for him to not necessarily place ZJK above Wang Hao in terms of who goes to the olympics. Despite the fact that in recent matches ZJK has beaten Wang Hao, that doesn't necessarily mean he is the better player. It just means he matches up well against Wang Hao. While I probably like ZJK as a player better than Wang Hao, if I had to give my honest opinion, I think Wang Hao is the better choice because he seems to match up better against non-Chinese players, which is the most important factor the Chinese team needs to consider. The chances of ZJK suffering a random loss in the early rounds is much greater than the chance that Wang Hao will, in my opinion.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Yeah, I think the decision to limit each country to 2 players is lame.

Nah, I think I like it. Makes it a real challenge for the Chinese to win, and gives the other countries better chances. It's boring me already that China wins all the medals at the moment. :p The selection for the World cup was bad in my opinion though, because it gave Ma Long no chance at all.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Nah, I think I like it. Makes it a real challenge for the Chinese to win, and gives the other countries better chances. It's boring me already that China wins all the medals at the moment. :p The selection for the World cup was bad in my opinion though, because it gave Ma Long no chance at all.

It's not boring at all ;) They present us the best table tennis ever played, please let them break through to the finals so they can show us another epic match! They are the best, they work hardest, they deserve it, and we should thank them for bringing table tennis to the level it is played at nowadays. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
@ Waldner4ever - He is Wang Hao's Mentor if I'm not mistaken. And ZJK was nearly kicked off the team and booted off to the Military before LGL gave him one last chance in Rotterdam. Currently Wang Hao has the highest level of Mentality towards an Olympic match. The other 2 have never competed for the Olympic Gold Medal and WH has. That's not say that the two Lions don't have a good chance at winning, but just lack the experience. There is no doubt that it's a tough decision for them because this is a pivotal moment in TT history. LGL has to choose the best two players to win the Gold and Silver Medals to close out the last 4 years as the dominating country before the new ball change. When circulation of the ball is international the Chinese team may end up losing more matches than before. This will be changing the history of the game and could be the reason why they want to help Europe and the rest of the world grow in the sport they've dominated for decades at a time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Liu Guoliang on Wang Hao, from Tabletennista.com:

What worries Liu Guoliang the most is the that Wang Hao failed to give power. After Wang Hao's defeat against Ma Long, Liu Guoliang frankly stated that Wang Hao is in a dangerous position.

"Wang Hao's condition and his level of performance vary considerably and do not match his position in the team. If this will continue, Wang Hao will be in a very dangerous state. Zhang Jike and Ma Long are already into the Olympic state. Waiting for Wang Hao to find his right condition might just be a little late. Professional sports can sometimes be brutal. The current Wang Hao is not comparable to Zhang Jike and Ma Long." Liu Guoliang concluded.