PDA

View Full Version : Ma Long is the most deserving player for 2012 Olympics

paras.oriental
11-28-2011, 11:43 AM
Ma Long is the Winner Of ITTF Pro tour finals.

Ma long Smashed the world top players in such an important event. What an amazing performance , played like Super-Man.

He is currently the most eligible person for 2012 London Olympics. No one else can match his current form .

I cant never forget his ultimate rallies against Wang Hao and Zhang jike.:cool:

I just want him to be in the team for London Olympics. What are your opinions ..???

PlasmaLight
11-28-2011, 12:01 PM
he will be for sure. he and zhang jike performing very well at the moment. and the other players are to weak at the moment.

Bryce
11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Zhang jike lost every single match he played against Ma Long. So i think he'll get some advantage over zjk in the selection process..

paras.oriental
11-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Zhang jike lost every single match he played against Ma Long. So i think he'll get some advantage over zjk in the selection process..

But what about Wang hao... we cant underestimate Wang Hao also.......... He's a gr8 player...

WiWa
11-28-2011, 03:00 PM
But what about Wang hao... we cant underestimate Wang Hao also.......... He's a gr8 player...

If there would be 2 player to pick I wouldn't know a reason to go with others that Zhang Jike and Ma Long if you want the strongest two. Wang Hao is a great player, but not as great as Zhang and Ma at the moment.

Scorpnox
11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
But the coach said that Zhang is too arogant...
The olympics are way too important to fail by too much confidence or something.
MA long wil go but the second place is not decided i think

WiWa
11-28-2011, 03:14 PM
But the coach said that Zhang is too arogant...
The olympics are way too important to fail by too much confidence or something.
MA long wil go but the second place is not decided i think

I don't think that will happen. Wang Hao is just not as good as Zhang Jike, wether he is arrogant or not. Against practically any random player, Zhang has a better chance to win than Wang at the moment.

PlasmaLight
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I don't think that will happen. Wang Hao is just not as good as Zhang Jike, wether he is arrogant or not. Against practically any random player, Zhang has a better chance to win than Wang at the moment.

i agree with wiwa. arroganz does not count. everything they want, is, that a chinese player wins the tournement. and ma long and zhang jike are the two best at the moment. you cant list all players, because they were good. you cant nominate ma lin cause he won the olympics three years ago ;) and you cant nominate wang liqin cause he won the wttc three times. and not wang hao cause he was the number 1 for long time. the are getting old and liu guoliang know it. its time for the new generation. ;)

Steven
11-28-2011, 03:36 PM

But what's more important is how they perform against non-Chinese players, and they're pretty equal at that: I don't think they've lost a single match for about half a year(?)

scylla24
11-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Hmmm this I actually don't think so. It has been a bit iffy after Wang Hao lost to Octvarchov, but otherwise, Zhang Jike actually performs worse against many of the non-Chinese players, which after all is the most important consideration for the Chinese national team. Zhang Jike lost to one of the korean players this year. Players with good backhands tend to actually play a lot better against ZJK than they do against Wang Hao. A lot of european players tend to have trouble and are not as used to Wang Hao's style as they are to ZJK's. People like Bastian Steger, even though ZJK still beats them, tend to do better against ZJK than they otherwise would do against someone like Wang Hao.

I don't think the arrogance factor really matters. From what I have seen of ZJK, the bigger the stage, the more clutch he tends to be.

WiWa
11-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Hmmm this I actually don't think so. It has been a bit iffy after Wang Hao lost to Octvarchov, but otherwise, Zhang Jike actually performs worse against many of the non-Chinese players, which after all is the most important consideration for the Chinese national team. Zhang Jike lost to one of the korean players this year. Players with good backhands tend to actually play a lot better against ZJK than they do against Wang Hao. A lot of european players tend to have trouble and are not as used to Wang Hao's style as they are to ZJK's. People like Bastian Steger, even though ZJK still beats them, tend to do better against ZJK than they otherwise would do against someone like Wang Hao.

I don't think the arrogance factor really matters. From what I have seen of ZJK, the bigger the stage, the more clutch he tends to be.

ZJK maybe drops more games, but that has also to do with the fact that he likes to be lazy until he has to go all-out. If he loses games, like against Kishikawa in the Grand Finals, he can make it up by stepping up his game. He did the same against Ovcharov in the World Cup. That is his problem, that he doesn't give it his all from the start. What u say about Wang's playing style is true, but that means that those players would cause him even more trouble after getting used to his game. This is not or less the case when they play against Zhang Jike. I think it would be a big risk for the Chinese team to let anyone other than ZJK/Ma Long play the most important matches. ZJK is at his best when it matters. Even though he might perform bad, he won't lose. Wang Hao is more likely to lose when he performs bad those days. He doesn't have the extra in the tank that ZJK has.

paras.oriental
11-28-2011, 05:12 PM

I agree with scylla.. We cant predict Zhang's game against non-chinese players.. But one thing is sure ... Ma Long must be fixed for the London Olympics.. He cant be skipped... :D

PlasmaLight
11-28-2011, 05:58 PM
I agree with scylla.. We cant predict Zhang's game against non-chinese players.. But one thing is sure ... Ma Long must be fixed for the London Olympics.. He cant be skipped... :D

yes scylla is right. but you cant nominate a folling star, when there is a growing star, only for the reason, that wang hao maybe will win 4-2 against boll and zhang jike only 4-3 or some stupid stuff :D wang hao becomes weaker and weaker ... and zhang jike stronger and stronger. thats it

Matt Hetherington
11-28-2011, 07:42 PM
No doubt in my mind that Ma Long will go, if he's just matched Liqin's 40 undeafeated matches record then there is no way they can rule him out for the Olympics. This could finally be the opportunity Ma Long has been waiting for.

jogiii20
11-28-2011, 09:56 PM
zhang go for sure. but as to the longa can be a problem because in one of the reports about the coaches talk about his weak psyche in the most important tournaments in the world team championships and loss of timo, in the world cup with Samsonov and of course the individual championship of the world where losing the most important moments.

Mr. RicharD
11-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Zhang has lost all but 1 match against Ma Long. Wang Hao is an Olympic Veteran having medaled twice at Silver. He has a hunger for it like none of the other players having missed it twice. It's his last item for the Grand Slam so I wouldn't take that out of account. I don't think there's anyone on the team who wants the gold more than he does right now.

Matt Hetherington
11-29-2011, 01:26 AM
I have to agree with Mr.RicharD on that one, Wang Hao will be gunning for a gold medal if he makes the cut big time

WiWa
11-29-2011, 08:12 AM
I have to agree with Mr.RicharD on that one, Wang Hao will be gunning for a gold medal if he makes the cut big time

That hunger might as well make him perform worse, putting himself under that pressure. Wang Hao is almost used to being number two. First behind Ma Lin or Wang Liqin and more recently behind Zhang Jike or Ma Long.

Matt Hetherington
11-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Fair point WiWa but I think Wang Hao can perform ;)

TableOhTennis
11-29-2011, 08:47 AM
I don't have problems with Zhang Jike and Ma Long in the Olympics... :D They're on top of the game right now!
But I'm kinda doubting on Wang Hao. he's been too depressed lately..... i dunno..
Xu Xin was soo close to beating Wang Hao.. He's a good option also.
And the fact that Xu Xin played 7 games with Wang Hao means they're like "on the same level" right now.. I dunno..

YosuaYosan
11-29-2011, 11:20 AM
Want to see Ma Long's mental strength on such event :)

Camarão®
11-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Ma Long is in, otherwise if such a bad thing happen with him. The other spot will be between ZJK and Wang Hao (LGL baby).

PlasmaLight
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't have problems with Zhang Jike and Ma Long in the Olympics... :D They're on top of the game right now!
But I'm kinda doubting on Wang Hao. he's been too depressed lately..... i dunno..
And the fact that Xu Xin played 7 games with Wang Hao means they're like "on the same level" right now.. I dunno..

yeah but xu xin hahas to win some tournements or just reaching the finals. but he often failed in the quarterfinals. thats not enough

david93fcb
11-29-2011, 02:32 PM
I've been saying this for months now, I'm fully convinced that LGL will send the two players with the best chance of beating Timo Boll.
That would automatically book ZJK a place and suggests a huge fight between Ma Long and Wang Hao, I do agree that Ma Long has deserved the participation at the Olympics though.

WiWa
11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I've been saying this for months now, I'm fully convinced that LGL will send the two players with the best chance of beating Timo Boll.
That would automatically book ZJK a place and suggests a huge fight between Ma Long and Wang Hao, I do agree that Ma Long has deserved the participation at the Olympics though.

I think Ma Long in his current form hasn't played Boll, but he should crush him. ZJK seems to match up well against him indeed. He has trouble against Ovcharov though. But Wang Hao even lost to Ovcharov :P So there is probably more to consider than just Boll.

scylla24
11-29-2011, 03:34 PM
yes scylla is right. but you cant nominate a folling star, when there is a growing star, only for the reason, that wang hao maybe will win 4-2 against boll and zhang jike only 4-3 or some stupid stuff :D wang hao becomes weaker and weaker ... and zhang jike stronger and stronger. thats it

I mean, I wouldn't say Wang Hao is really that weak.... at least not against the non-Chinese players. In fact, Wang Hao actually probably does better against Ma Long, Wang Liqin, than ZJK. ZJK despite beating WLQ pretty badly recently still has lost to him in the recent past. He also lost to Ma Lin in the Super League I think twice or something. Though Wang Hao also does badly against Ma Lin. Wang Hao has shown the ability to beat Ma Long in the big tournaments when he really really places a lot of effort on practicing, whereas ZJK hasn't really been able to beat Ma Long in big or small tournaments.

scylla24
11-29-2011, 03:37 PM

I definitely don't know about that, Xu Xin's game is too erratic. When he is at the top of it, he is unbeatable, but when he isn't he loses to mediocre players. I am unsure about his ability to beat Octarchov when it counts, and earlier this year he lost to one of the young koreans.

Xu Xin, just doesn't seem to make a lot of good decisions in game, and relies more on his physical gifts.

PlasmaLight
11-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I dont think, that Boll is the biggest problem. he performes not very well at the moment and has injuries.
but we will see, what happens in 2012. maybe zhang or ma get an injury or something. we dont know.

WiWa
11-29-2011, 04:22 PM
I dont think, that Boll is the biggest problem. he performes not very well at the moment and has injuries.
but we will see, what happens in 2012. maybe zhang or ma get an injury or something. we dont know.

I agree. Even the World Team Championships are 2-3 months before the Olympics, so they will probably focus on that first. A lot can happen in half a year, I don't know when they have to make up the final list of players though.

david93fcb
11-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Boll is definitely the major threat to the Chinese. They of course take players like Jun, Joo, etc. into account but Boll was the only player who broke into their phalanx at this year's WTTC and as LGL once said, as long as Timo Boll is around, he'll not sleep well at night.
@Wiwa, I don't think Timo would stand much of a chance against Ma Long in this form, either, but he tends to play worse on bigger occasions and has lost to Boll several times. LGL is well aware of that and will not have forgotten about their match at the last Team WTTC.

PlasmaLight
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Boll is definitely the major threat to the Chinese. They of course take players like Jun, Joo, etc. into account but Boll was the only player who broke into their phalanx at this year's WTTC and as LGL once said, as long as Timo Boll is around, he'll not sleep well a night.

hm boll just won against chen qi and failed then against zhang jike clearly. and chen qi is easy to beat (for a chinese player). so if you just look at the wttc, tojan bokic will be the biggest rival ;) :D

ttmonster
11-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't know if you noticed this ... from what I saw ... Ma Long used Wang Hao's "pocket" to throw him off from his game ... this is a little bit weird because Penholders are not supposed to have pockets but seems like Wang Hao does because he prefers the RPB .. so I think its more a matter of fitness .. since he needs to step around more .. so a little bit of LGL's stick might get him back in shape .. at this point Xu Xin does not count because of the obvious reasons .. unpredictability and too much dependence on physicality ..... Jike is a tough nut .... its a case of love - hate relationship with LGL and because of his performances LGL can't ignore him and that what pisses him off so much .... Ma Long is the other obvious choice at this moment ...

Dan
11-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Boll is definitely the major threat to the Chinese. They of course take players like Jun, Joo, etc. into account but Boll was the only player who broke into their phalanx at this year's WTTC and as LGL once said, as long as Timo Boll is around, he'll not sleep well a night.
@Wiwa, I don't think Timo would stand much of a chance against Ma Longin this form, either, but he tends to play worse on bigger occasions and has lost to Boll several times. LGL is well aware of the Team WTTC 2010

If Boll was to win the London 2012 Olympics it would be one of the biggest sporting acheivements in history. I know that China can only send 2 players in the singles, which I belive will be Zhang Jike (for sure) and Ma Long (as he deserves a shot). Wang Hao has had two Olympics in his belt, and choked twice could we say?

So, yeah I will be routing Boll, I hope he is fully fit.

david93fcb
11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
hm boll just won against chen qi and failed then against zhang jike clearly. and chen qi is easy to beat (for a chinese player). so if you just look at the wttc, tojan bokic will be the biggest rival ;) :D

Ich fürchte, ich kann deiner Argumentation nicht ganz folgen.. :D
Dan, I fully agree with you. Zhang Jike is almost flawless against non-Chinese players so we could take his participation for granted if nothing changes significantly in the next months.
Wang has indeed lost a lot of credit due to his performances at the Olympics. It will be thrilling to see who prevails in the race for the second spot. I'd be happy either way, Ma Long has gained a lot of credit over the last half year.

paras.oriental
11-29-2011, 06:34 PM
If Boll was to win the London 2012 Olympics it would be one of the biggest sporting acheivements in history. I know that China can only send 2 players in the singles, which I belive will be Zhang Jike (for sure) and Ma Long (as he deserves a shot). Wang Hao has had two Olympics in his belt, and choked twice could we say?

So, yeah I will be routing Boll, I hope he is fully fit.

Ya boll could be a major threat to chinese players.. But as per the current forms of the 2 machos ( Zjk nd Ma ) i dnt think he stands far in their way to win the olympics..

ALso in the next 6 months whatever the conditions changes... Ma or Zjk is gonna crush him out of the way :D... Boll can fight for 3 place or for 2nd max. :P

WiWa
11-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Ya boll could be a major threat to chinese players.. But as per the current forms of the 2 machos ( Zjk nd Ma ) i dnt think he stands far in their way to win the olympics..

ALso in the next 6 months whatever the conditions changes... Ma or Zjk is gonna crush him out of the way :D... Boll can fight for 3 place or for 2nd max. :P
I wonder how that goes with the seedings. If Boll is 2nd seed, would he need zjk to be 4th seed in order to avoid both of them until the final? I believe no. 1 and 4 are in the 1st half of the scheme and no. 2 and 3 in the 2nd half right? Or is this different at Olympics?

Steven
11-29-2011, 08:22 PM
After winning the Grand Finals, Ma Long just completed his last four months as undefeated and has won six singles titles. Despite this amazing performance, Ma Long managed to remain humble and was realistic enough to say that he will soon taste defeat. "Actually I didn't mean for that to happen and I know that sooner or later that I will also lose. So I try to put down all the unnecessary burdens and try to play one match at a time," Ma Long responded. Hmmm... :)

scylla24
11-29-2011, 08:38 PM
@Wiwa, I don't think Timo would stand much of a chance against Ma Long in this form, either, but he tends to play worse on bigger occasions and has lost to Boll several times. LGL is well aware of that and will not have forgotten about their match at the last Team WTTC.

I actually don't even know anymore. There is no doubt that he used to be, but from the results of this year, and just how things are going, the Chinese team have studied Boll so much, and have played him enough that they are used to his game. None of the new Chinese players really have problems playing Boll anymore. I actually think mizutani causes more problems for some of the Chinese players more than Boll. Ovtarchov, and then the three young korean players all cause more of a problem for the Chinese players if for no other reason than they have played these players less and thus are less accustomed to their games, as opposed to Boll's game.

WiWa
11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I actually don't even know anymore. There is no doubt that he used to be, but from the results of this year, and just how things are going, the Chinese team have studied Boll so much, and have played him enough that they are used to his game. None of the new Chinese players really have problems playing Boll anymore. I actually think mizutani causes more problems for some of the Chinese players more than Boll. Ovtarchov, and then the three young korean players all cause more of a problem for the Chinese players if for no other reason than they have played these players less and thus are less accustomed to their games, as opposed to Boll's game.

Hard to say indeed. Boll hasn't been in good shape lately, so it is probably hard to judge. He might revive next year and be their biggest nightmare again.

Dan
11-30-2011, 02:44 AM
Ich fürchte, ich kann deiner Argumentation nicht ganz folgen..
Dan, I fully agree with you. Zhang Jike is almost flawless against non-Chinese players so we could take his participation for granted if nothing changes significantly in the next months.
Wang has indeed lost a lot of credit due to his performances at the Olympics. It will be thrilling to see who prevails in the race for the second spot. I'd be happy either way, Ma Long has gained a lot of credit over the last half year.

Yeah this is very true, we also have to realise Ma Long had an ankle injury which effected his performance before. Now he is fully recovered he is back to his best which we saw him in last year. If he can maintain it, I think he will continue to improve as he has the burning desire to achieve a major! His ultimate dream I’m sure!

I wonder how that goes with the seedlings. If Boll is 2nd seed, would he need zjk to be 4th seed in order to avoid both of them until the final? I believe no. 1 and 4 are in the 1st half of the scheme and no. 2 and 3 in the 2nd half right? Or is this different at Olympics?

Very good point! Well the 1 and 2 seeds I am sure will be China. However if Timo Boll can reach number 2 again before the Olympics perhaps he could miss a Chinese player to the final??

I actually don't even know anymore. There is no doubt that he used to be, but from the results of this year, and just how things are going, the Chinese team have studied Boll so much, and have played him enough that they are used to his game. None of the new Chinese players really have problems playing Boll anymore. I actually think mizutani causes more problems for some of the Chinese players more than Boll. Ovtarchov, and then the three young Korean players all cause more of a problem for the Chinese players if for no other reason than they have played these players less and thus are less accustomed to their games, as opposed to Boll's game.

This is very true Scylla. The Chinese have studied Boll so much. It did not help the fact they saw him in the Chinese Super League. Even the young players like Fang Bo took Boll close and beat him on an occasion if my memory is correct. Mizutani and Ovtcharov are proving very strong against the Chinese that’s for sure aswell as the Koreans.

I believe if Wang Hao was selected for the singles, its not certain for sure in him making semi's if he reaches lets say Ovtcharov in the Quarters. Whereas we can pretty much guarantee Zhang Jike and Ma Long will defeat all non-Chinese players on a average general basis...

Hard to say indeed. Boll hasn't been in good shape lately, so it is probably hard to judge. He might revive next year and be their biggest nightmare again.

Boll will be back! :) He never lets us down WiWa :)

TableOhTennis
11-30-2011, 04:01 AM
yeah, anyone can be a threat to China.. Timo Boll, Ryu Seung Min, Kim Min Seok, Ovtcharov, Gao Ning, Joo Se Hyuk... I think these guys performed really great recently and maybe, right now they're working even harder.. and who knows, they might be a big surprise. You know a lot of things can happen in 7 or 8 months.. :D

david93fcb
11-30-2011, 08:32 AM

I do unterstand your point but I believe that Timo will be back.. he's been struggling with some injuries/illness lately which resulted in some rather poor results for his standard. He'll certainly be back for the Olympics and get to the semis..from there on, anything can happen. Timo Boll at his best can definitely beat Ma Long or ZJK, but it's indeed a high hurdle to jump over for him due to the bad match-up against Zhang. He's lost to him 3 times in a row now.

UpSideDownCarl
11-30-2011, 11:39 AM
I agree with Wiwa's original point: Ma Long and Zhang Jike.

I think Ma Long and Zhang Jike are the two best players in the world right now. I think they will go to the Olympics. I think Wang Hao is just a small notch below them. But if any combination of those three go, they will probably not be beaten until the finals. Unless the ITTF or the Olympic committee does some bs magic trick with the seeding, the seeds from China should be #1 and #2 which means they would not meet each other until the finals. Unless something happens where one of them is really off, none of those three will lose to a non-Chinese player. Since Ma Long got on this roll he is on I do not think anyone has beaten Zhang Jike in the single elimination part of a tournament except Ma Long or Wang Hao. I think I can make the same statement about Wang Hao. And nobody has taken a match from Ma Long since he won that first tournament at the end of the summer.

I think it would be great for someone, anyone, to challenge the Chinese players. I see them get thrown off by someone having a different style than they are used to, or coming at them in a match, and they might drop a game or two. Like Ryu Seung Min took ONE game from Ma Long in a match where Ryu played great and surprised Ma Long in the first game. But then he still lost 4-1 and in each game Ma Long became more dominant.

I don't think anything is going to change in those regards at a "bigger" forum. Whoever the Chinese send between Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao, they will be seeded #1 and #2 and they will probably get to the finals.

Mizutani loses 4-0 or 4-1 to any of those three regularly. I have not seen Timo win a tournament where the Chinese were there this year. Timo actually got lucky in the 2010 World Team Championships. Ma Long was crushing him and choked. He started playing tight. I have not seen that happen since he has been on this roll. It almost happened when he had Match point against Jike in the first tournament he won. He started playing tight and pushing the ball. That is also what Jike did when he had 5 match points on Wang Hao in the finals at the worlds. I think both of them have learned not to do that. They are both at their best when they are playing their game which means they are attacking everything they can.

PlasmaLight
11-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Olympic Games are the last chance for Boll. If he fails, he will retire.

paras.oriental
11-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Olympic Games are the last chance for Boll. If he fails, he will retire.

Guys I think we all are skipping one more important player who made his presence count in the recently held World Cup, ANd he is Joo Se Hyuk.

Joo defeated Boll to have a 3rd position. Boll Must tackle him before he meets the chinese players, and also Joo can be a threat to chinese as well , as he

maintains his great form and his accurate chops which are his ultimate weapon .

I am not saying he will win against them but can make them shiver their feet.

WiWa
11-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Guys I think we all are skipping one more important player who made his presence count in the recently held World Cup, ANd he is Joo Se Hyuk.

Joo defeated Boll to have a 3rd position. Boll Must tackle him before he meets the chinese players, and also Joo can be a threat to chinese as well , as he

maintains his great form and his accurate chops which are his ultimate weapon .

I am not saying he will win against them but can make them shiver their feet.

Joo will never be a threat to Zhang Jike and Ma Long I think.
But for Boll there are more players to watch out for than for those two. Oh Sang Eun has a pretty good record against Boll, and his matches against Mizutani are often close as well. If I'm correct he lost to Joo in the Superleague as well. But with the current world ranking, Joo would be the 6th seed, which puts him in the top half I think. Boll as 3rd seed would be in the bottom half of the schedule.

scylla24
11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
I do unterstand your point but I believe that Timo will be back.. he's been struggling with some injuries/illness lately which resulted in some rather poor results for his standard. He'll certainly be back for the Olympics and get to the semis..from there on, anything can happen. Timo Boll at his best can definitely beat Ma Long or ZJK, but it's indeed a high hurdle to jump over for him due to the bad match-up against Zhang. He's lost to him 3 times in a row now.

I think Ma Long actually will dominate Boll even more than ZJK. Before he was having trouble, but his new style of play is more about slowing things slight down compared with his old style of just pushing the pace. Now he aims better and has higher quality of shots, so his quality has gone up, where as his old style was more about just speed and quantity. I think in the China vs world match or whatever they played against each other, Ma Long after the first game pretty much dominated Boll, I think that type of result will be what we are most likely to see in the future between Ma Long and Zhang Jike.

scylla24
11-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Joo will never be a threat to Zhang Jike and Ma Long I think.
But for Boll there are more players to watch out for than for those two. Oh Sang Eun has a pretty good record against Boll, and his matches against Mizutani are often close as well. If I'm correct he lost to Joo in the Superleague as well. But with the current world ranking, Joo would be the 6th seed, which puts him in the top half I think. Boll as 3rd seed would be in the bottom half of the schedule.

Yeah I have to agree, Joo might get lucky and throw off some other players, but he poses no threat to any of the the three Chinese players who might go. Even in his recent match against Boll, it was more a combination of Boll playing bad, Joo playing great, and thus pulled the upset, even with that, Joo only won in 7. In most circumstances Boll should win that match up.

Mizutani doesn't really pose a threat to Ma Long, but I think when he is playing well, and ZJK or Wang Hao are playing average, he has a chance to cause them a great deal of stress. I don't know how Ma Long would do against the apparently improved Ovtchov, but I don't see him having any really trouble. Despite Wang Hao actually losing to Ovtachov in the world teams, I think that match really should hold all that much weight in determining how they would do if they met up again. Wang showed he was more than capable in the world cup match, when the match is to 7. I think ZJK would have the most trouble against Ovtchov of the three, since ZJK's backhand, his main strong point also is Ovtchov's, so they match well against each other.

The three young koreans are unknown factors, because they definitely are really good, and the Chinese players haven't really played them that much, so they could be not use to their styles. ZJK already has lost once against one of them this year.

Its for these two main reasons that unlike many in this forum, I actually am not sure ZJK would be the better choice above Wang Hao to represent China.

WiWa
11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Yeah I have to agree, Joo might get lucky and throw off some other players, but he poses no threat to any of the the three Chinese players who might go. Even in his recent match against Boll, it was more a combination of Boll playing bad, Joo playing great, and thus pulled the upset, even with that, Joo only won in 7. In most circumstances Boll should win that match up.

Mizutani doesn't really pose a threat to Ma Long, but I think when he is playing well, and ZJK or Wang Hao are playing average, he has a chance to cause them a great deal of stress. I don't know how Ma Long would do against the apparently improved Ovtchov, but I don't see him having any really trouble. Despite Wang Hao actually losing to Ovtachov in the world teams, I think that match really should hold all that much weight in determining how they would do if they met up again. Wang showed he was more than capable in the world cup match, when the match is to 7. I think ZJK would have the most trouble against Ovtchov of the three, since ZJK's backhand, his main strong point also is Ovtchov's, so they match well against each other.

The three young koreans are unknown factors, because they definitely are really good, and the Chinese players haven't really played them that much, so they could be not use to their styles. ZJK already has lost once against one of them this year.

Its for these two main reasons that unlike many in this forum, I actually am not sure ZJK would be the better choice above Wang Hao to represent China.

Apart from the last line, I totally agree :) You also have to consider that the young Korean guns will most likely not participate in the Olympics. Korea only gets to send two players too. Those will most likely be Joo Se Hyuk and Oh Sang Eun/Ryu Seung Min. And if not I don't think Zhang would struggle with them on an occasion as serious as the Olympics. His motivation tends to be low when the occasion isn't big. This is a weak point of him, but since the Olympics are the biggest event in a year, I have no doubt that he will show his best performance there.

scylla24
12-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Apart from the last line, I totally agree :) You also have to consider that the young Korean guns will most likely not participate in the Olympics. Korea only gets to send two players too. Those will most likely be Joo Se Hyuk and Oh Sang Eun/Ryu Seung Min. And if not I don't think Zhang would struggle with them on an occasion as serious as the Olympics. His motivation tends to be low when the occasion isn't big. This is a weak point of him, but since the Olympics are the biggest event in a year, I have no doubt that he will show his best performance there.

they might, but if they choose joo, oh, or ryu, I personally think they would be making a mistake in doing so. I would much rather send the unknown factors such as the three young koreans, who when they play well, can definitely cause problems for a whole host of players, if for no reason because people are not used to their style. That way they also get some great experience for the future.

WiWa
12-01-2011, 05:03 PM
they might, but if they choose joo, oh, or ryu, I personally think they would be making a mistake in doing so. I would much rather send the unknown factors such as the three young koreans, who when they play well, can definitely cause problems for a whole host of players, if for no reason because people are not used to their style. That way they also get some great experience for the future.

I think they get alot of experience from playing Pro Tours already. If you can send two players to the Olympics, you should sent your two best. I don't think the youngsters are that, even though they do well against some top players. But maybe Joo and Ryu automatically get the spots because they were the two highest ranked Koreans on the WR after the WTTC 2011. I believe that is how it works according to Azlans post in another thread on the selection matter.

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 12:27 PM
in my opinion ma long and zhang jike would be the best choice ;)
ma long is nearly invincible now, and zhang jike is world champion and has also won the grand finals!
so i don't think that wang hao will go instead of one of them, because he "only" has his wttc title from 2008 and, looking back to the past few months, he has always played worse than zhang and ma !! ;)

YosuaYosan
12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
A bit out of current conversation but I will hope the best for Schlager in his late career :)

goldhand96
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
yess i hope that he will also play well in the future ;)

and (i'm glad that nobody spotted the mistake), relating to my post, of course i meant "world cup" instead of "grand finals" :)

wLatisha
01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I think at the Olympic games China will win or maybe Korea

Beartrendy
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
yeah, anyone can be a threat to China.. Timo Boll, Ryu Seung Min, Kim Min Seok, Ovtcharov, Gao Ning, Joo Se Hyuk... I think these guys performed really great recently and maybe, right now they're working even harder.. and who knows, they might be a big surprise. You know a lot of things can happen in 7 or 8 months.. :D

Wishful thinking?:D We'd all enjoy a nice old-fashioned surprise but I really think China will prevail.

SteVenRoCK
03-07-2012, 11:26 AM
Well Guys Zhang Jike is such a great player I personally like him He's the great one about him so many peoples always commented in positive sense that sounds really cool.......