Advice on learning

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I used to play table tennis a lot in the past as I was in a Table Tennis Club. I dropped table tennis due to school and have not been playing for about 5 years. I forgot quite a lot of strokes and service techniques and I think it will be great to start from scratch. Other than Forehand and Backhand Counterhit, what other strokes should I learn?
Additionally, I feel that my timing when I hit the ball is quite slow (when I was playing recently) as the ball tend to touch corners of the bat instead of the centre of the bat (or what people usually call "sweet spot"). How do I improve on that?
Thanks!

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
FH and BH push, practice placement (esp. depth: very short and very long). Vary the amount of underspin. Practice against short underspin serves.

FH and BH topspin for opening up on underspin, and for spinning over "no-spin" balls, and for counterspinning over incoming topspin. Practice it nearer to and further away from the table. Vary placement, speed, and spin level - deep brush as well as shallow loop drive. Practice against long(ish) serves.

FH and BH block, both active and passive. Practice placement and pace changing.

FH and BH flick, both classic and banana/raspberry. Practice against short serves.

Do not forget to stay low and move permanently with the rhythm of the game. Make intermediate, small positioning steps. Relax, use "natural" body (whip) mechanics rather than muscle power. Focus. Follow the ball. Read your opponent.

Last edited:
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
Just play more. It all works out with more time. With a coach it might take less time.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Topspin.
The most simple advice for that I guess would be to always start the hit with your racket under the table and end it with your racket at head hight.