Advice on replacing/upgrading my table tennis blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hello everyone. It is my first post here and I don't know much about blades so sorry for any mistakes on my part ;).

I have a question considering my blade. I am playing with Donic Waldner Allplay. It is an allround blade of "limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba" composition. I used this blade for 1 year now to relearn my strokes after long break from playing. I feel more comfortable with my strokes and overall play and I am thinking about changing it for faster blade.

However, I really like limba-ayous wood blade as it suits my style. I am doing a bit of everything in my play (attack with pushes, like to block and lob the ball away from the table). I guess it makes me an allround type player. I feel a lot of control with Allplay but feel that I lack power when attacking.

I did a bit of research and found that Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC has limba-ayous layout with 2 layers of carbon. I thought that it would provide more speed without sacrificing control and I am thinking about buying it. However, it is expensive. As my knowledge about blades is low, do you know any cheaper alternative :) ?

Could you please give me some advice on choosing such blade ? If you think my choice is wrong, please tell me. I'd rather hear it before I buy it. Will other wood combination provide more speed with control that limba-ayous blades provide ?

Thank you in advance for any response. :)

Last edited:
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi!

If you prefer that combination, you also could try also Nittaku Accoustic Inner Carbon! It's expensive, but not like Tiago Apolonia ZLC! ;)

If you wan't a more gradual change until you play with that blade, but that's more expensive, you could go to Liu Shiwen ZLF/Innerforce ZLF, because they have no Carbon, just ZL Fiber, and then you could finally change to Innerforce ZLC/Tiago Apolonia ZLC.

About that blades, I've tried Innerforce ZLC(a long time ago, with cell ball), and as far as I remember, Innerforce ZLC was quite controllable, at least for my technique.

I think that, regardless of the blade that you choose, all of these seems like good options.

Happy TT ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
The Clipper is a good blade, and there are various similar blades as almost every manufacturer makes a Clipper-like blade. My personal choice would be DHS PG-7.

There are several blades of the same composition as the one you have, but faster. Butterfly Primorac or Korbel spring to mind. Or if you want to go carbon, the DHS Pg-5 or Fang Bo 2 have ALC layers next to the core ayous, and retain much of the feel of an all wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Thank you everyone for your advice :). I have all of those blades written down and will compare them.

What rubber do you have on your Donic Waldner Allplay ? Consider getting slightly faster rubbers. Than a new blade. .

I have :

Forehand : Andro Rasanter R42
Backhand : Andro Rasanter V42

Harder rubber ? I was thinking about getting Donic Bluestorm Z2 for both sides. Will this be sufficient ?

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
You got a very fast very modern rubber, no worries. If you're itching for speed with that wood and those rubbers you gotta be near pro level.

ZLC and ZLF blades play peculiarly and super-reward topspin with great spin and speed but make other shots difficult. LSW ZLF especially is a very fast blade. I remember just bouncing balls off of some of my blades to hear the sound and try to figure them out, the ball jumped highest off of the LSW ZLF. I like it but I honestly can't play with it very well.

I'm selling mine if you want one at a discount. Flared handle, 92 grams.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
What about trying R47 and V47 ?

I am thinking about them, but I was always interested in Bluestorm rubber. Maybe I'll buy one Z2 and one V47 then. V42 works great for me, block is excellent and backhand attacks are very good. My only problem is that I like to attack with backhand away from the table and about 50% of the time it goes into the net :p.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Hello everyone. It is my first post here and I don't know much about blades so sorry for any mistakes on my part ;).

I have a question considering my blade. I am playing with Donic Waldner Allplay. It is an allround blade of "limba-limba-ayous-limba-limba" composition. I used this blade for 1 year now to relearn my strokes after long break from playing. I feel more comfortable with my strokes and overall play and I am thinking about changing it for faster blade.

However, I really like limba-ayous wood blade as it suits my style. I am doing a bit of everything in my play (attack with pushes, like to block and lob the ball away from the table). I guess it makes me an allround type player. I feel a lot of control with Allplay but feel that I lack power when attacking.

I did a bit of research and found that Butterfly Tiago Apolonia ZLC has limba-ayous layout with 2 layers of carbon. I thought that it would provide more speed without sacrificing control and I am thinking about buying it. However, it is expensive. As my knowledge about blades is low, do you know any cheaper alternative :) ?

Could you please give me some advice on choosing such blade ? If you think my choice is wrong, please tell me. I'd rather hear it before I buy it. Will other wood combination provide more speed with control that limba-ayous blades provide ?

Thank you in advance for any response. :)
Hi there.
There are many options to get more speed out your setup. You could change your rubbers or blade to something faster. I would recommend you to either change your rubbers or blade at a time. If you just want to try something else then change both.

If you like the feel of all wood blades then don’t go for carbon blades. There are tons Limba/Ayous blades out there so just get one you prefer. If you want a composite blade try one at your club and then decide which way to go. If you really like the Tiago ZLC then buy it.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Speed classes in question: All, All+, Off-, Off, Off+, Off++

Yeah, the jump from Allplay to ZLC is a bit misguided. I get the idea of wanting a blade with a little more speed. But you are thinking of going from All speed class to Off++ speed class and you are missing 4 speed classes in between. Also going from a blade that is wood in the All speed class to a carbon blade in the highest speed class may not make much sense either.

Why don't you try a blade like:

Butterfly Primorac Off-
Butterfly Petr Korbel

They are both all wood. They both have the same ply construction as your blade: Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba. They both are Off- so you would be jumping in speed class from All through All+ to Off-. That is a more manageable change in blade speed.

The Primorac is not too fast but not slow. It is right in the middle of Off-. The Korbel is a little faster. It is really right at the top edge of Off- or at the bottom edge of the Off speed class.

There are lots of other blades that could be recommended. But these two seem right in line with taking a next step from the blade you use. For reference, there are high level pro players who use Primorac and Korbel.

And Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba is a great ply construction that helps you get lots of spin with lots of control and good feeling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amaken23 and langel
My understanding is that a player should always keep his blade with one, or even two minus / "-" / below his highest potential speed style.
The best weapon is the one you can control the best. If you can barely shoot with a pistol, you would not manage a machine-gun for sure.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
I am thinking about them, but I was always interested in Bluestorm rubber. Maybe I'll buy one Z2 and one V47 then. V42 works great for me, block is excellent and backhand attacks are very good. My only problem is that I like to attack with backhand away from the table and about 50% of the time it goes into the net :p.

Have you tried using R42 or R47 on BH? It should have higher throw angle than V42, due to different pimple structure, which might help you get more shots over the net.

Also, I recommend just switching to faster rubbers instead of changing blades. If you do change blade, consider Waldner Senso Carbon V1. It's close to what you have now, but a bit faster. And it's a very high control carbon blade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Thank you very much everyone for your advice. I will take it into consideration.

Speed classes in question: All, All+, Off-, Off, Off+, Off++

Yeah, the jump from Allplay to ZLC is a bit misguided. I get the idea of wanting a blade with a little more speed. But you are thinking of going from All speed class to Off++ speed class and you are missing 4 speed classes in between. Also going from a blade that is wood in the All speed class to a carbon blade in the highest speed class may not make much sense either.

Why don't you try a blade like:

Butterfly Primorac Off-
Butterfly Petr Korbel

They are both all wood. They both have the same ply construction as your blade: Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba. They both are Off- so you would be jumping in speed class from All through All+ to Off-. That is a more manageable change in blade speed.

The Primorac is not too fast but not slow. It is right in the middle of Off-. The Korbel is a little faster. It is really right at the top edge of Off- or at the bottom edge of the Off speed class.

There are lots of other blades that could be recommended. But these two seem right in line with taking a next step from the blade you use. For reference, there are high level pro players who use Primorac and Korbel.

And Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba is a great ply construction that helps you get lots of spin with lots of control and good feeling.

I see. Thank you for information. As I said, my knowledge about blades is not big. I once saw Tiago Apolonia ZLC review on TTD and thought about it. Didn't know that it is such a difference in speed class. Perhaps I will change my rubbers to harder ones in Rasanter series, as usualsuspect suggests.

Amaken23 - you can also pull your rubbers off and apply a polyurethane varnish on your Allplay blade. A light coat. This will harden your surface. When dry glue your rubbers back on.

If not fast enough you could apply a second polyurethane coat to harden it.

This would be the least expensive solution.

Just a thought.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Amaken23 - you can also pull your rubbers off and apply a polyurethane varnish on your Allplay blade. A light coat. This will harden your surface. When dry glue your rubbers back on.

If not fast enough you could apply a second polyurethane coat to harden it.

This would be the least expensive solution.

Just a thought.....

I never did that, to be honest. I think I'll buy new harder rubbers in the end.