In Between Butterfly OFF and OFF+

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
I've been playing for 15 years + and I currently play a Xiom Strato (roughly 6.9mm typical 3+2 hinoki carbon). I am looking for something a touch slower.

My old blades have been Keyshot, Viscaria, and Mizutani. My Mizutani 91g was slower than my Viscaria, and I actually only got it because I thought it would be a bit faster as part of my glue ban adaptation. So after awhile, I decided to make a big jump in speed hence my current blade. I'm actually pretty comfortable with it, but I'd like to make another move in the right direction (triangulating in on the ideal speed for me). Basically, I'm looking for something in between the ALC, TBS, Maze, Mizutani "group" and the Primorac Carbon, Iolite, Amultart, Photino, Schlager "group" as far as speed goes. As far as feel, I like the feel of the "OFF" group like my old Viscaria and Mizutani, so I am leaning towards a super fast "OFF" rather than a slow "OFF+".

Boll ZLC seems to fit my bill as far as the marketing stuff goes, but when I looked to various forums, there are a lot of contradicting reports as to whether it is actually any faster than other ALC/Mizutani type blades. Some say it is definitely a notch faster, but some say its just comparable. Innerforce ZLC has a better consensus on being faster, but the limba and buried composite layers provide a softness I don't particularly care for. I like crispness and don't mind the artificial feel of composite. Keyshot Alpha, Innerforce/Boll T5000 are also some others, but I don't find them as compelling. ULC is too light for my preference. All wood and ZLF have too much vibration for my liking.

So...I am hoping people who have played with some of the blades I've mentioned can let me know how these blades compare speed wise. I will probably pick something up in the 89-91g range if that helps any in speed comparisons.

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I think you should try the Innerforce series - I use the Innerforce ZLC - and I think it fits your criteria. The down side is that it can get head heavy with heavy rubbers, so lightweight rubbers make this a truly awesome blade.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Spoke to a training partner of Adrien Mattenet, and he among others, is a part of a growing list of pro's using the Innerforce ZLC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2010
Yes, I know Mattenet is using Innerforce ZLC. A bit of me wants to go with that koto top on the Boll ZLC since I liked my Viscaria a lot, but I know according to my criteria Innerforce ZLC is a safer pick. I'll consider your recommmendation. I'd still like some pinpointing help on where the Boll ZLC really fits on the speed chart though, in comparison to the blades below and above.