Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
"I never gave up on my dreams" quotes Michael Maze as he returns from injury winning the INTERSPORT Super Cup in Ekaterinburg on the 7th November 2011. Maze beat last year’s champion, and World’s no. 10 Dimitrij OVTCHAROV in the final.

maze_supercup.365x265.jpg

Photo by: ettu.org

Michael Maze Interview

You had a tough compeition on route to winning Maze, however you prevailed
“I had a tough tournament. It was a real test for my knee. The most important thing is that it stood a test. Even more important is that I have to regain my stability in game and shape. It has been a lot of setbacks recently. It is normal but it is not easy to deal with”

It has been a year and a half since the surgery; it must be very hard period for you, especially since the nature of the injury is very delicate and uncertan?
“It has been the days when I could not walk, or run or practice. I just laid down watching the movies and feeling bad. But then I realize there are so many dreams I have to fulfill and so many things to achieve,”

You was 2-0 down against Ovtcharov, what was you thinking at this time?
I am so happy now that I came back. Even I did not believe that the title will came that quickly. I had very hard matches in past two days, my knee is still all right and I hope it will stay that way tomorrow and day after tomorrow,” said MAZE.”OVTCHAROV played perfectly in the final and it was really great match. After that I won few easy points, it gave me confidence that I can beat him. ”

You had a close game against Smirnov

“It was close game and 4:0 is not the result that explains what happened at the table. Maybe 4:3 will be more adequate of fair outcome after match like this. I think that Alexey did many mistakes on easy points in the closing stages,”

Maze_9238.jpg

Photo by: ttfr.ru/supercup2011

Michael made a promise: “I promised to my self I will not finish my career with injury. I found inner strength to carry on and I succeeded.”

Maze you played in the European Championships in Gdansk and Sopot but only in Team’s Event. Your appearance was reduced to one match per day. Later, you played at the INTERSPORT Euro Asia All Stars Event, but failed to feel the taste of success.
“I was not ready, I played bad,” said MAZE..

At that time it was almost impossible to reach Danish star.
“I am the person who finds hard to deal with the failure… At that time I tried to prepare myself as best as I can for the outcome of my games, since I came without lot of practice.”

Before the INTERSPORT Super Cup you had 9 days of interrupted practice.
“It showed results. Now I have important match in European Champions League against Liebherr Ochsenhausen and I hope I will repeat the good play.” The match will be played in very same hall in Verkhnaya Pyshma in Ekaterinburg where MAZE lifted the big trophy yesterday.

Next year is also very important for you MAZE . You have booked a place for the Olympic Games in London and Danish Herning will be the host of next Individual European Championships from 17th to 21 October 2012.
“It is very important Championships for us. We have a good chance at the home soil and if I recovered fully with our very good players we can count on great success.”

Interview by Milica NIKOLIC, EWT, taken from ettu.org

Match highlighted here thanks to youtuber Janus770

Congratulations to Michael Maze on behalf of the TableTennisDaily

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
That was a great interview. I just wish the interviewer had asked him how he coped psychologically after his injury. I have a bad left knee after years of stamping my foot, though it doesn't hurt that much nowadays, I am still sceptical whether it will hold if I go all out with my BH and FH.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Damn Maze looks skinny! Much more than a few months ago!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
They gave us such a nice perspective while they were warming up- > the match begins and we see all only from above... :p

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Maze is awesome!
Since first time I saw him play in 2000 in ECL against Bratanov, I knew he will be a great player!
I hope he will beat some chinese in pro tours in next year.. maybe he can show to Timo how its done.. Maybe he finds a way to beat even the greatest.. Ma Long or Zhang Jike.. Would be great challenge for them!

says Do you guys have streaks where you are just not playing...
Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
Maze is no where close to even getting a single game off the likes of Malong - let alone a match. And that was even before he got injured. He is just a normal prof player - nothing special.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Maze is no where close to even getting a single game off the likes of Malong - let alone a match. And that was even before he got injured. He is just a normal prof player - nothing special.

In 2009 Yokohama WTTC he came close to winning a single game 3 times in 1 match, with a bit of fortune Ma Long took them all though. Also Ma Long lost to Wang Hao and Yan An in the Men's Team WTTC warm-up recently, so maybe his invincible streak is kinda ending with a big event around the corner. Maze however plays his best game in big events, though his performance is rather instable. Ma Long will really have to improve from that losses to prove that he can beat his nerves. People think he is a legend already, but he has everything to prove in order to become one.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
I have to agree Wiwa. We dont know how he will shape up under pressure - but otherwise, Malong has taken tt to another level with his standard of play(when not under pressure)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I have to agree Wiwa. We dont know how he will shape up under pressure - but otherwise, Malong has taken tt to another level with his standard of play(when not under pressure)

True. He won't stand much chance against a 'free' Ma Long. But not many other players do, so that's not a standard ;) Since I'm a big fan of Michael I tend to think very positive about him of course, but I really think he can do damage to the Chinese and others. He has already beaten all sorts of players throughout his career, won Euro Top-12 and Euro Champs, Bronze Medal in WTTC Singles, so he certainly is capable of doing big things. Many good players will never reach those victories.

Jun 2011
Read 6 reviews
True - cant argue with that... Kreanga for instance only managed to win the top 12 in the twilight of his career.... Well I do hope Michael Maze recovers from his injury completely and gets back to his previous level at least.