Blade and Rubber recommendations for Intermediate Offensive player?

This user has no status.
Hi,

I'm an Intermediate player (maybe low Intermediate by the standards on this forum) who has been playing with a used Stiga Infinity VPS V with Andro Rasant Grip on FH and Andro Rasant on BH. I bought this blade used from a coach a year ago.

My equipment is worn out so I'm ready for recommendations on what to get next. I've gotten used to the weight of my current blade/rubbers.

I'm a straightforward offensive player but I still want to get some spin of course. But I don't chop. I do like how my current blade blocks. I'd like to be able to backhand flick better and lift up underspin balls easier. Of course, I have to work on my technique.

I don't want the blade to be *too* fast but I'm ready to have more control and more spin. (I assume my current rubbers have degraded, so that's part of the issue. )

I want the blade to be under $70 to purchase and the rubbers to be under $60 each.

Do you have any recommendations for what blade and rubbers to get? My guess is I want an OFF- blade?
I was just reading reviews of the Donic Burn Off-. Sounded like it had a good feel.

Thanks!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Trust me, don’t get anything faster than OFF. Your blade is fine if you’re okay with it. Get some replacement rubbers. Any of the tensors should be fine (for example EL-P, or Rhyzer 48, or Rasanter R47). There are literally hundreds of threads in this forum if you look for suggestions. If you want specialized advice, post a video and people will give you good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I’ve been reading a lot of rubber reviews this week. of course, you can probably guess which one everyone praises the most. Tenergy 05.
But that sounds like it might be too fast for a typical low intermediate player yeah? It’s also expensive.

I made the mistake of buying Tenergy 05 right when it came out on the market - I was probably rated around 1350 USATT at the time. The "catapult" (or explosively high throw) was great on blocks or my backhand...most of the time... but it really seemed unpredictable in terms of getting the ball on the table (due to not understanding how it responded to varied incoming speed and spin). It's not that it's too fast for an intermediate player, but that it's too unpredictable and will force you to change the angle of your blade and strokes to compensate; which, to a player who is still learning, means that it will inhibit/reverse progress in mastering the fundamental skills. Sure, you will get an amazing shot out of it every once in a while, but it's not predictable or consistent for a low-intermediate level player. Also, tenergy will occasionally reward you for lazy technique, so it reinforces what you did (lazy), further inhibiting you from improving - I think many players get Tenergy, experience a slight rating bump, but then plateau because they're not actually improving their game. I will say that tenergy lasts a long time, so you will get your money's worth if you do invest in it.

My advice? Stick to something that doesn't have that tenergy explosiveness (i.e., tenergy, tibhar evolution mx series, etc) and plays much more linearly in terms of getting out what you put in.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Hi,

I'm an Intermediate player (maybe low Intermediate by the standards on this forum) who has been playing with a used Stiga Infinity VPS V with Andro Rasant Grip on FH and Andro Rasant on BH. I bought this blade used from a coach a year ago.

My equipment is worn out so I'm ready for recommendations on what to get next.

I'm guessing the rubbers are worn. If the blade isn't damaged beyond playability, stick with it. Good blade. If you did like these rubbers, you won't go wrong with Rasanter R47, R42 or V42.

This user has no status.
If you feel comfortable with that rubber setup just stick with it

What I wish could be better about my blade/rubber setup is the weight. It's fine for forehand but I've always felt I would be able to perform backhand flicks and other wrist-based action more easily with a somewhat lighter system. But I don't want to sacrifice power too much.

Stiga Invinity VPS = 88-90gr
Andro Rasant Grip and Rasant rated Medium Heavy on Revspin

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Ninga, would you believe it is possible for a lighter bat to be more DIFFICULT to accelerate with wrist?

It is if the blade handle is all hollowed out making the setup top heavy, then it can be true.

I would say look at overall balance. Often, putting on a grip tape is enough to balance out a blade.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I made the mistake of buying Tenergy 05 right when it came out on the market - I was probably rated around 1350 USATT at the time. The "catapult" (or explosively high throw) was great on blocks or my backhand...most of the time... but it really seemed unpredictable in terms of getting the ball on the table (due to not understanding how it responded to varied incoming speed and spin). It's not that it's too fast for an intermediate player, but that it's too unpredictable and will force you to change the angle of your blade and strokes to compensate; which, to a player who is still learning, means that it will inhibit/reverse progress in mastering the fundamental skills. Sure, you will get an amazing shot out of it every once in a while, but it's not predictable or consistent for a low-intermediate level player. Also, tenergy will occasionally reward you for lazy technique, so it reinforces what you did (lazy), further inhibiting you from improving - I think many players get Tenergy, experience a slight rating bump, but then plateau because they're not actually improving their game. I will say that tenergy lasts a long time, so you will get your money's worth if you do invest in it.

My advice? Stick to something that doesn't have that tenergy explosiveness (i.e., tenergy, tibhar evolution mx series, etc) and plays much more linearly in terms of getting out what you put in.
Nate,

I might have to kick out a sheet of Karis your way...

Reactions: Nate4s
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I’ve been reading a lot of rubber reviews this week. of course, you can probably guess which one everyone praises the most. Tenergy 05.
But that sounds like it might be too fast for a typical low intermediate player yeah? It’s also expensive.
T05 really isnt that fast of a rubber like it is billed, but you can really hit it hard on a counter topspin and land with extra spin. It is also very spin reactive, unless you have a positive stroke. That can be bad initially and later, or good later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Nate,

I might have to kick out a sheet of Karis your way...

I've read a few reviews of the Karis series - it seems like nice rubber - do you feel like it addresses some of the issues I had with Tenergy? I think I could play with Tenergy 05 just fine these days, but it's too expensive for me to want to find out. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: dominus7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I think the price of that rubber Karis is too high, you can afford cheaper rubbers and same quality. 50 bucks it's too much
I've read a few reviews of the Karis series - you feel like it addresses some of the issues I had with Tenergy? I think I could play with Tenergy 05 just fine these days, but it's too expensive for me to want to find out. :D

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk