placement

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
hi..i have a problem...my dad is really good at placement and hats how he always scores so much points...its like reflex to him...but me i have to think about it before i can actually do it...and i make lots of errors...is there any drills i can do to get better at placing the ball? thanks!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think he means blocking and pushing/service return. You can practise those with service drills where the receive is irregular, but you learn it most when you just play a lot of matches I think. It is more of an experience thing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
im sorry i didnt explain it well...i meant offensive placements...because i think once i get the hang of offensive placements it would most likely be easier to just "block" them with placement correct? or is it so different that i need to practice both individually?
Thanks Again :)

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
it is such easy money to put the ball right at the body or even a bit to the Bh side of someone who is errect and does not crouch. That player simply does not have the capacity to move or bend like Gumby Himself (EG M. Maze) to make any useful high percentage attempt on the ball, whether it be offensive or defensive. That is like taking candy from a baby, but MUCH more gratifying. That is only one example of how this hapens. maybe father knows your habits a little too well and it is time to become more nuetral ready crouched and able to suprize his ole azz once you see what he is doing.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
BTW, it is cool you come to a TT forum to ask about this. Discovering what is wrong and taking steps to correct it are the first steps to overcome anything. TT forums facilitate this. You have a good spirit and I hope you get it worked out. Just be on guard agaisnt jokers like me who give you bad advice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
YosuaYosan : yes i have seen that and i have tried it :) but i want to learn placing the ball around the table

Der_Echte : actually i crouch alot...my dads friend (number 1 in olongapo philippines) even said i have a good posture...
and i do not plan on beating my dad as he is very skilled at the game (he has beaten the number 2 in the philippines and beat some 2000+ ranking players) i just am simply asking how to do it like him :) or drills to learn it because when i ask him he just tells me it comes along through time...he also said that the reason he is good at it was because when he was little he couldnt afford good rackets so he used cheap pieces of wood with fake pips out....and since it was so slow he learned it i guess...but now he is using LKT carbon blade with dhs hurricane 3 neo on FH and focus 2 on BH.....i know its not a very "good" setup compared to people with lots of money but he prefers it then euro rubbers cuz thats how he likes it :)

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Well the crouching thing was one example. There are many ways to place the ball to an opponent who otherwise presents opportunities to give difficult placement. There are obvious things you are doing to show father where you are expecting the ball to go. Discovering them and learning how father detects these tendencies will be a step in the right direction. If father is that good of a player, then he will soon adapt and learn another way to put you in an ackward receive position. Still, you will make him at leastmake ONE adjustment and learn something along the way.

maybe making a vid of a couple matches and looking over them will see what your father does to you when you do such and such.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I can name a couple other examples.

Some of our club players step around and atack during singles, but when faced with a ball to their BH or elbow in doubles, they push nearly 100% so much you could make dinner bets on it and get free food all the time.

Our penhold players sometimes serve short to my BH. That is a bad idea as I can BH flick it away from them fro a winner or into their elbow for an ackward play.

Our OX LP women like to punchblock on BH crosscourt to the oppoennt's BH side. Why not simply punch it straight down the Fh line, since they are in a BH stance in their BH corner?

These are only 3 examples of things to look for during a match to take advantage of tendencies.

Maybe your father is very skilled at doing this and you need to see how he goes about it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
ok thanks for the suggestion...ill take a video of us playing on monday because im not allowed to play on sunday's ...ill upload it to youtube and post the link here :) hope u can help me :) i REALLY REALLY want to learn how to do placements hahah......and my dad doesnt really "look" for my weakness.... this is what he usually does...he serves i push he spins i block,punch or topspin back..he then hits it WIDE to my forehand (sidespin) then i do that jump footwork thing (crossover) and he just simply punches it to my wide backhand...sometimes i get it back...as a lob htough hahah then there comes the smash...THE END ....thats the kinda placement i mean :) hahha combos that make others have a hard time...but when i get a chance to attack i do a strong fast topsin to his forehand which he ususally blocks then i keep doing that....but like i said in the beggining ...sometimes the thought of "placement" pops up in my head so i randomely topspin it to his backhand really fast and sometimes he gets it sometimes he doest :) ...but i think u get the point...ill just upload a video on monday so u can understand it better :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
and i dont want to just "learn as time passes by" because my dad has been playing for like 30 yrs and for me that is a LONG time...i dont want to take that long to learn that...hahahha i would prefer to learn it within like 1 yr or something...haha cuz...idk thats a crazy amount of time xD

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
When you play from out of position, like u mentioned when he plays wide in ur fh, your best bet to keep yourself in the rally is to sidespin it to his forehand. This makes the angle towards your backhand harder to play for him. Another thing about that shot is that you should try to hit it closer off the bounce instead of stepping back and do the cross-step thing. In order to do that u need to learn to get back into a 'neutral' position quickly after every shot. And if u anticipate on what he will do, u can get into postion to return the shot u think he will do. In fact that is what ur dad is doing to u now I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Oh thanks so much for those suggestions...i think ill try that tomorrow....but...i just realised...im kinda getting off-topic....so can anyone suggest drills for me to do to get good at placing the ball? thanks :D

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
im sorry i didnt explain it well...i meant offensive placements...because i think once i get the hang of offensive placements it would most likely be easier to just "block" them with placement correct? or is it so different that i need to practice both individually?
Thanks Again :)

Hi buddy,
Personally, I think feel that offensive placements are a little easier than blocking placements.
Why? Because you'll be exerting your own spin to the ball rather than having to control and ride on the opponents spin when you're blocking.
When I 1st started TT, the drill that I think is the most effective is serving an under spin serve to a friend and have him returning the ball back to you (to the body, middle & far end).
Loop the ball to the left on the 3rd ball from those 3 positions (use your BH if the ball goes to your body, it's easier than stepping around for your FH). Then repeat the drill, looping to the body and to the right of the table. For each time just ignore the balls if they come back to you after each loop. Why? You wouldn't want to lose your focus on what you're trying to achieve, which is placements. Don't tire yourself out trying to return the balls coming back to you. Do that a few reps.
Then start looping to the body, with the 2nd ball pushed to body, middle & far end. Do that a few reps. Repeat the drills and loop to the right. Once you get the hang of it, you may mix it up. I still do the drills till this day sometimes.

TIPS : Don't try to finish the ball on the 3rd ball, get your placements 1st until you can do it on reflex. Once you get it, put more pace on the 3rd ball to finish the rally. Then you may step around for your FH on the 2nd ball that goes to your body (rather than using your BH) - why I don't advice stepping around for your FH in the earlier stage when you're merely looping?
Because you'll be opening the entire table especially your FH side.
Also get a decent partner so you may get consistent long 3rd balls.

Happy training buddy :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
azlan: thanks !! i apreciate it! i will try all that :) i really hope it will help me :)thanks

i will upload a video later of me and my dad playing so you guys can tell me what im doing wrong :)