Zhang Jike talks about Love & Olympics

says yup.. from weibo haha :D
says yup.. from weibo haha :D
Oct 2011
So there's this recent article of Zhang Jike's interview after the Military training.
He admitted his past relationship with Liu Shiwen openly (cause before it was just a rumor and they don't talk about it) and he also talked about Ding Ning and his ultimate goal.

I hope TableTennista would translate this or can anyone here understand Chinese? But I'm giving a shot in translating this! Hope it turns out understandable hehe :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once, he was considered as a "dark horse" in Guoping's future. If only inadvertently, he used his strength and the results proved that he is "deserving." So he quickly surged forward, unknowingly he has the main competition for the position. During this period, the "WenKe" love issue was inconclusive. In his journey to London, he only moves forward, no time for love. Now, looking back at that period, it was innocent, it was sentimental, Zhang Jike cannot avoid it. He said "we are still friends".

No feelings, not lovers, just friends.
300000908235129047902119530_950.jpg
His performance and personality is in the spotlight. Zhang Jike is given this "special attention". Last year, he and Nvping's "Future Star" Liu Shiwen together, through Moscow, their love affair was exposed. Zhang Jike's father was firm on his opinion, "I do not believe/agree with this love issue. There's a lot of attention to it. I hope it won't affect his training and competition." It is reported that about this issue, the outside world came late.

As early as 2004, when Zhang Jike entered the National Team, there were already rumors about his "good" relationship with Liu. Even at the end of the year, when Zhang was forced to go back to the provincial team for violating team rules, rumors say their relationship is still "ongoing". The "WenKe" love issue ended like this: inconclusive.

Zhang Jike tried to avoid these issues whenever reporters open it up. "With respect, I am distracted and then my training will be affected. Preparing for the London Olympics gives me a lot of pressure so I do not have time to consider these things."

Q: Seeing each other after breakup and training together, isn't it a little awkward?

"There is nothing to be awkward to whenever we meet or when we talk to each other. The feelings, it's over, but it doesn't prevent us from being friends."

After the World Cup, Zhang Jike thanked his teammate Ding Ning who provided valuable experiences and advises. Now, the outside world is beginning to "gossip" about the relationship between them. "I did ask her before my game and she gave me some notes and advises and the like. Our relationship is very good. She's very approachable. *As a man, if we're not in good terms, she wouldn't talk to me about those technical things.*"
*not really sure what he meant, sorry

When a reporter asked what kind of girl he likes, he blurted out, "Ding Ning's okay!" Then he added, "I mean, her character, very simple, very sunny, very bright, nice to talk to. Of course, just that character."

But when it comes to his future (about relationship), "I will consider it after the Olympics. If I play well, I will. If not, then I won't."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the arena, he treats others sincere, easy-going, but still without prejudice to his personality. He was 8 years old when he was asked who his idol was, he answered "I do not have an idol. My idol is myself." It stunned the world. He swept the World Championships and the World Cup Championship in the same year and said he doesn't care how many titles he took but only his most wanted one. "If I cannot get the Olympics title, all the other trophies are useless." This idea of his is "very positive".

Others say he doesn't want to listen: "I am not obedient, and if that's not the other, it must express my opinion, otherwise, what is my long mouth for?"

The coach calls him the "Tibetan Mastiff", head coach Liu Guoliang scolded him many times; "I was kind of scolded more than you think but the stronger was my rebound."

Zhang Jike actually defined his own way to victory. Wanting to take every title, Ma Long and Zhang Jike are in contrast. Zhang Jike has his plan.

“冠军拿多了也不是不好,但是每个人性格不同,我只拿自己想拿的冠军,拿到最重要的冠军才行,否则拿一堆冠军也没用。就像如果拿不到奥运会冠军,其他的什么都没用。”

"There's nothing wrong in taking many championship titles but everyone has different personalities. Some just want to take the championships, some want it to get a job or get a bunch of useless titles, just like, if you cannot get the Olympics title, the other titles mean nothing else."

source: here and here
------------------------end--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Google translate is giving me a headache. Haha sorry for that. I did my best.. hahaha

So I guess Liu was 13 or 14 and Zhang was 16 or 17 at that time hehe but the main thing is that Zhang Jike wants the Olympic Gold and nothing more. :)
Wow, not just Zhang Jike but I'm sure all athletes are going through the same thoughts and pressure about the Olympics. I just wanted to share these news yeah, cuz you know, you dont see these kinds of articles often. So what are your opinions about this? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: ping fun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I don't know if that's really going to happen. He has so much more to offer to the sport I doubt that even if he won his World Cup probably the first in TT history in a row like this that he would really focus on a love life. I really feel that he and Ma Long are likely to compete with each other for the next decade. It's quite possible that the culture over there just doesn't allow growth for a public relationship.

I'm fairly sure Ma Lin had some love life issues and it really hurt his game, but more importantly I don't think much was revealed. They're very private about the majority of their love lives.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I just have to say that when ZJK mentioned something about Ma Long and Liu Shiwen being very similar in personality and ability I just noticed that after the Award Ceremony's for Men's Doubles and Women's Singles Liu and Ma both threw their flowers into the stands while the others did not. Pretty funny as far as similar personalities go.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I don't know if that's really going to happen. He has so much more to offer to the sport I doubt that even if he won his World Cup probably the first in TT history in a row like this that he would really focus on a love life. I really feel that he and Ma Long are likely to compete with each other for the next decade. It's quite possible that the culture over there just doesn't allow growth for a public relationship.

I'm fairly sure Ma Lin had some love life issues and it really hurt his game, but more importantly I don't think much was revealed. They're very private about the majority of their love lives.

ya, love life issue does hurts any sport player. Ma Lin does got alots of down time after the olympic gold during 2009-2010, mainly due to the divorce issue with his ex-wife. This probably the reason why the CNT is so strict about any love affair

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews

Jorgen Persson won singles in WTTC and WC in the same year.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2012
A lot of couples had broken up under the "iron fist" policy such as Wang Hao and Fanying, Ma Lin and Bai Yang. Rumor said that the policy had been relaxed in recent years, girls above 21 years old and boys above 24 years old has been allowed to date. However, Liu Shiwen and Zhang Jike were too young to start dating under the policy at that time. I believe that "WenKe" is real. "Two members from our group are dating. " Kong Linghui, the competent coach of Liu said. I am interested in who is the other one, may be Guo Yue, Yao Yan or Mu Zi. The reason From my intuition, Liu still loves Zhang. I hope they still have chances to get back together as Liu is 21 and Zhang is 24 now. ^^

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
Haha Zhang Jika is just too awesome !! :D He's funny, true about his private live and the best table tennis in the world ;D