Complete statistics from 2011 pro tour

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Here are the statistics which I have slaved over for most of 2011 and all of December thusfar.
They show data from all 16 Open events as well as the Pro Tour Grand Finals.

This table shows extracted data from the spreadsheet.
The statistics below display the frequency of 'Expected' and 'Upset' results for matches played, as well as a tally of Walkover, Disqualification, and Injury outcomes.

stat1.jpg

As we can see, Morocco was the most straightforward Open, with 88% expected results.
The Korean Open had the highest upset percentage at almost 38% unexpected results.

The next table shows the total number of matches, games, and points for each Open event.

stat2.jpg

Austria is the clear winner here, and Brazil easily the smallest event.

The third image shows various match statistics, including:
Men vs Women
Open Singles vs Doubles vs Under21
Best of 5 vs Best of 7 matches

stat3.jpg

Some interesting factors, not shown in the above image, women's best of 7 matches are far more often 4-0 than men's. Also, men's best of 7 are more often 4-3 than women's.
The same is true of best of 5 matches.
This leads me to believe there is either a much wider range of ability in women's table tennis, or... they're simply more brutal.
The game scores support this argument, showing that women win games 11-4 and under far more than men.
Men's games reach 10-10 (deuce) and beyond much more frequently than women.
Another cause for this discrepancy may be due to the Asian dominance, which is even more pronounced in women's table tennis than men's.

This fourth image tells us the longest and shortest matches throughout the year, in both 'best of 5' and 'best of 7' matches.
It also shows some fun stats, the number of donuts, and the longest game in the Pro Tour.

stat4.jpg

Obviously the Arabs need to brush up on their table tennis. :p

If you wish to see any other statistics of interest, or perhaps wish to see what the actual spreadsheets where stats are stored look like, post your query's and requests on this thread.

Thank you,
ttGuru

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Gees Emmanuel Lebesson what a brutal hiding 11-1, 11-1, 11-0, 11-0. Don't need to ask him about his 10-0 position

He was probably still doubting about it, and changed his mind about it after giving the diplomatic point in the first two games :p In other words: His opponent didn't score a single point. But it is pretty embarassing indeed.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Gees Emmanuel Lebesson what a brutal hiding 11-1, 11-1, 11-0, 11-0. Don't need to ask him about his 10-0 position

Wow that is a crazy score! You would have fault Lebesson would have been generous a bit more :)

Amazing stats once again Matt! I hope you can keep these coming, very interesting! These statistics could be used as table tennis research to help better our understanding of the game :)

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Brilliant. Thank you Dan.
Looks much better now.

No problem :)... I wish all photos could come out like that from attachments. The World Tour is going to be great, can't wait!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using tapatalk