Name this serve...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hey guys,

I recently played a player who had the best serves I've come across and he served in a motion I have rarely seen used. I can't find a video of it and it may not even be called anything as it's rarely used but I'll describe it anyway and if you know what it's called or seen a pro using it let me know:

Imagine you're stood square on to the table slightly to your backhand side, now take your bat hand and put it across your body to the opposite side, now imagine your serving with your forehand side from 'almost' under your arm arm pitcoming out and across your body.

Any ideas if it's got a name?

I tried serving like it once when I first started and had no spin on my serves anyway so writ it off (and in my mind they shouldn't be that great), but although this was only a local league guy he was getting all sorts of spin variations on it. It's fundementally like a backhand serve but you can get more out of your wrist I think and I'm going to try to work on this and develop them for myself. Awesome, so let me know if you've come across any vids of anyone serving this, at the moment, nameless serve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
I think I know what motion u mean. But I doubt you can get better sidespin on it than the regular backhand sidespin serve. But with practise, it is probably easier to get a lot of variations on it. But keep in mind that backhand sidespin serves are often hard to receive when executed decent. So it isn't necessarily the weird motion that makes it a tough serve to recieve.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
No not the Tomahawk Azlan, you have your hand over the other side. Like as if you were throwing a frisbee from under your left arm.

Yeah you're right it's not the motion, I think it's because you can get a lot out of your wrist on it. Hmmm, it can't be great because otherwise more people would use it. I'll try a few and put the video up.

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Aaahh I see. It's like Timo's serve, the inside out one. Except that he serve from under his left arm??? Assuming the guy is a right hander that is. Yeah, I think you should put it on video buddy, but really, you got to do justice with the serve hehehe. I mean 99% resembling the originals hahahaha