change our setup according to our availability to pratice

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi all,

For an amateur player, that table tennis will not make his life, but he likes to pratice and so. For example. In one season, he has time to pratice every day, but the another next three or more seasons he will have less time(1 time pratice for week), it's correct to have a blade that he can control in the seasons that he pratices frequently and the seasons that he pratices less? Or it's viable tu use a faster blade on a season that we have more time to pratice, and on a season we have less time to train to change for a slower blade?

I know that pratice is mandatory, but just asking this question for the common table tennis amateur that plays for fun(But to win games, not fun for EJing or so).

I would like to hear your opinions about this.

Best Regards,
Eduardo

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
I completely understand what you're trying to say, as I am on the same boat, only difference being not an amateur :p

I have a collection of blade and rubbers; that's my hobby / passion. However, when it comes to competitive play, I always stick to my love Virtuoso Off- (a simple 5ply all wood blade, which obeys me). I had paired it with TSP Super Ventus, which was a high throw combination and I've now changed to Hexer Grip, which is closest to Tenergy05 for me, after FastArc G1, and is working best for me for mid distance corner loops and close to table flat hits and counter top-spins.

Before switching back to all-wood blades, I loved Tornado King Power, Freitas ALC and Mizutani SZLC and Mizutani ZLC, for mid distance looping, I am liking the Innerforce Layer ALC.S with Rakza 7(medium-hard) as well. Paired them with harder rubbers like MX-P and soft rubbers like Vega Euro DF and Joola Energy Xtra and it suits best for me with softer rubbers as they give more control and also last long as compared to harder rubbers (depends on how your care).

Considering that the player is amateur, I would not recommend the blades and rubbers I've mentioned and would ask him to get a Tibhar Stratus Power Wood blade and pair them with Xiom Vega Intro rubbers. It is a long lasting combination as compared with the ones I've mentioned above, and wont need a change for atleast 3-4 seasons, depending on the level of play and hours of practice carried out.

Ofcourse, there are other combinations which also last long, but its personal preference and experience.

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I completely understand what you're trying to say, as I am on the same boat, only difference being not an amateur :p

I have a collection of blade and rubbers; that's my hobby / passion. However, when it comes to competitive play, I always stick to my love Virtuoso Off- (a simple 5ply all wood blade, which obeys me). I had paired it with TSP Super Ventus, which was a high throw combination and I've now changed to Hexer Grip, which is closest to Tenergy05 for me, after FastArc G1, and is working best for me for mid distance corner loops and close to table flat hits and counter top-spins.

Before switching back to all-wood blades, I loved Tornado King Power, Freitas ALC and Mizutani SZLC and Mizutani ZLC, for mid distance looping, I am liking the Innerforce Layer ALC.S with Rakza 7(medium-hard) as well. Paired them with harder rubbers like MX-P and soft rubbers like Vega Euro DF and Joola Energy Xtra and it suits best for me with softer rubbers as they give more control and also last long as compared to harder rubbers (depends on how your care).

Considering that the player is amateur, I would not recommend the blades and rubbers I've mentioned and would ask him to get a Tibhar Stratus Power Wood blade and pair them with Xiom Vega Intro rubbers. It is a long lasting combination as compared with the ones I've mentioned above, and wont need a change for atleast 3-4 seasons, depending on the level of play and hours of practice carried out.

Ofcourse, there are other combinations which also last long, but its personal preference and experience.

Thank you for your answer! ;) I did not explained me well. I say an amateur as a player that don't play table tennis as a job(professionally), and you referred a amateur as a beginner. For example me, I had seasons that I could pratice 5/4 days a week plus physical training and other seasons that I could pratice 1/2 days only and some weeks I couldn't pratice. I just feel that when I don't have so much time to pratice I get a bit slower on movement and reaction and also lose some touch, so a solution could be a slower blade. But when I return to have more time to pratice, probably I will feel that the blade is too slow for me. So if I constantly change I can't get a proper evolution.

For example before I go to the college I had time to pratice 5 days a week with a TB ALC with 05 both sides. After enter the college I started to pratice 1 day a week and I felt really out of shape, so I changed to a Korbel, though was a bad season, even with the blade change. After that season I manage my time better so I could pratice 2/3 days a week with physical training also and felt Korbel was too slow again, then returned to TB ALC and felt good again! So that's a common dilemma for a "non-professional" player? :p

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I don't think any equipment change will actually compensate for lack of playing time. My view is that it is better to stick with one setup for a very long time so the feel is maximally embedded into your motor memories. That way you degrade less when playing time decreases. I think that point of view is supported By some research evidence on motor learning.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't think any equipment change will actually compensate for lack of playing time. My view is that it is better to stick with one setup for a very long time so the feel is maximally embedded into your motor memories. That way you degrade less when playing time decreases. I think that point of view is supported By some research evidence on motor learning.

I fully agree with this.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
You know, was a time I used to do this too. I had my regular setup for the stage when I was in full flow and had been playing for a while, getting regular practice and playing time and I had a setup I would use when I was coming back to the game after a layoff. But then I realized that if your regular setup has been chosen smartly, and suits your style and level of play, you don't need to keep switching. Just a few sessions after a lay off and you start to get your rhythm back and you ease back into it just like riding a bike. I mean think about it, if as Baal said, and Carl concurred, you have been using your setup for a while then it is something that is almost like learning to ride a bike. Once you know how to ride a bike, no matter how long of a gap, you don't go back to training wheels do you?
I think the only thing that would warrant a setup change is an injury that results in a change in how you play, or old age where your speed or movement is an issue, etc. Otherwise, I don't think you need to switch your setup each time you come back after a break.

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I think you'll find the more controllable setup simply more fun to play with at these times.

TT is a sport where you have to practice a lot just to stay on the same level

I fully agree with the statement of Baal.

Anyway I would like to some kind of colour to this.
This statement would be absolutely perfect if we presume that you have already found your perfect setup.
But what if you still haven't? During the most dynamic terms you are happy with this setup, but once you get aside the return makes you somewhat confused and you are looking for a more friendly-forgiving one? Then its not your dream setup and a step off to look for a better alternative maybe usefull. Or may be not, it depends. I have some different setups and use them sometimes for perticular excercises, sometimes just to get off the always insisting preasure of the irrevocably permanent presence of my main setup. My other setups make me happy in different ways, but once I take in hand my main again, I feel the joy of holding it like a SEAl back to a fiancee. But if you don't feel like that, look elsewhere.
Anyway its just like in life, changing setups may be wrong, but sometimes it helps.

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Thank you for this gold info guys! :D So changing equipment often might be only for proffessionals! We have players like Timo Boll and Zhang Jike, always with the same setup(same or similar) and then players like Jeoung Youngsik and Koki Niwa!

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk