How do I Improve my footwork?

I have been playing for a while and my strokes are all ok, I dont seem to struggle on serve and apart from a decent backhand loop, I seem to have a decent game. However, I really struggle with my footwork. I have worked on my fitness and that has helped, but can anyone suggest some simple to do, daily drills which I could do....Any help is appreciated.
:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
exercises

i think its very good to do some skipping
maybe 100 the right then 100 on the left and then 100 with both legs
also very good is if you have ah bar which is 30 cm high. you jump over it about 50 times but from left to right
(sorry for my english... hope you understood what i mean ;) )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Amazing is right on the footwork drills. There are so many to work on, but for beginners to intermediate students of mine. I recommend this video of exercises.

They are perhaps the best basic drills out there and as long as you have a table the same dimensions or close to a tournament table you can do them.

Focus on the drills that they do for footwork, but warm up and work on fitness with the drills he does at the end. They are the most basic drills, but are fantastic for learning footwork. Always use your racket hand to touch the table or posts. because the view is that if you can touch your racket hand in those positions you can reach the ball in those positions even easier.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Amazing is right on the footwork drills. There are so many to work on, but for beginners to intermediate students of mine. I recommend this video of exercises.

They are perhaps the best basic drills out there and as long as you have a table the same dimensions or close to a tournament table you can do them.

Focus on the drills that they do for footwork, but warm up and work on fitness with the drills he does at the end. They are the most basic drills, but are fantastic for learning footwork. Always use your racket hand to touch the table or posts. because the view is that if you can touch your racket hand in those positions you can reach the ball in those positions even easier.
RicharD is right. As mundane as some of these drills will get, as long as you keep doing them, your feet will get faster and faster. Just be persistent in doing these drills.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Some great exercises for footwork, but just remember that flexibility and staying low are your key priorities. You should have your back straight when doing these exercises and keep your head up without looking at your feet. This provides poor posture and thus affects your technique and game. Many players from Europe have the tendency to lean forward when doing footwork and this also makes them believe that they are low enough to the ball, but in reality that is not true. You must stay low with your back straight because quite often the ball will cause you to lean back to hit a shot or even just backing up alone will raise your back and thus makes you hit the top of the ball sending it into the net.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
I think everyone should bookmark this page

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=44287&PN=1

This one shows one of the modern footwork (at least to me). As if you looks RSM's footwork training, the movement of his leg is kind of a big step. But if you search for Xu Xin's footwork training, you can find that these days, most of the chinese player will use a smaller steps to move around. This may because that this can prevent their feet "root" to the ground after move to a specific spot, and maintain a "spring like" flexibility all the time.

However for me, I still could not able to mimic these properly...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is a good video as well:

The player demonstrating the footwork drills is Zoran Primorac. And the simple explanations given are helpful.

You can do all these footwork drills with multiball or in shadow form. It is worth doing them in front of a mirror where you can see your movements sometimes. What is interesting is how, doing the footwork without the ball there helps you do it when the ball is there.

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Wow amazing videos! I've learnt so much! Makes you realise why the Chinese are so fast, they must implement this training on a daily basis :)

Table Tennis - Chinese Footwork Part 1 - Forehand From Half Table

Table Tennis - Chinese Footwork Part 2 - Connecting Forehand And Backhand

[h=1]Table Tennis - Chinese Footwork Part 3 - Pivot And Cross Step[/h]

[h=1]Table Tennis -- Chinese Footwork Part 4 - Small Steps[/h]

[h=1]Table Tennis -- Chinese Footwork Part 5 - Body Balance[/h]

[h=1]Table Tennis - Chinese Footwork Part 6 - Forehand from the middle[/h]

The thing is - I had discovered this 6 part footwork training earlier.....but they are quite advanced even though it might not seem like it ....I tried the ryu seung Ming footwork exercises..... They are so simple and good - and they were exhausting.. I can see my footwork improving just doing those simple exercises.But, like Dan said these Chinese videos are amazing and that's why the Chinese are the best in the world of table tennis.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2012
I am wondering about the best option for improving my movement and footwork. The above material and suggestions are helpful, but I do agree with Ash that many of the footwork practice drills are really quite advanced and require the skills in you and your partner to perform. I feel I need something which is going to get my feet moving as I have a great tendency to stay rooted to the spot and reach and bend back and forth, or to move my feet very late as I am making the shot rather than stepping first to arrive in the right place before playing the shot. Now I am in my 50s fitness is a big issue, but even before that I feel I need something to get my feet moving more at a subconscious thought level.

I am wondering about skipping which is mentioned above but doesn't seem to get highlighted much. It seems to be treated as a key piece of training for boxing, another sport requiring rapid foot movement.

Does anyone have any experience of using skipping and whether this really helps to develop foot movement? Is skipping used by advanced players and if not why not? Is it just too embarrassing and too hard to learn as a skill in itself? I don't want to waste time trying to learn to skip at my age if this is really not going to make a material difference?

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I especially like the videos Dan posted. Those are classics since the time they first appeared, and I watch them a lot, whenever I feel like I am having problems. I especially like the part where the coach points out that to move your feet fluidly, your upper body has to be a bit relaxed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Does anyone have any experience of using skipping and whether this really helps to develop foot movement? Is skipping used by advanced players and if not why not? Is it just too embarrassing and too hard to learn as a skill in itself? I don't want to waste time trying to learn to skip at my age if this is really not going to make a material difference?
Chinese national teams/provincial teams use skipping ropes too. They also do double skip in one jump etc.
If you don't know how to skip already, then jump was out a skipping rope. After a few jumps (under 1 mins), you should start feeling the strain. After a while of daily jumps, you will feel you can jump longer until you feel the strain.

There is also other drills that you can do to make your leg muscles stronger as seem in the videos above.
Most importantly is have a short run first, then stretch then do these excercises and dont get injured.

Here is some other videos from my FB page:
[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=581840318533561&set=vb.443481379036123 &type=3&video_source=pages_video_set[/video]

[video]https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=201415553355008&set=vb.443481379036123 &type=3&video_source=pages_video_set[/video]