Help with new blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Hi,

I've been playing table tennis for about 6 months now and I am looking to buy a bat.

I'm not sure what type of player I am yet. My forehand is quite strong and I can play lots of topspin. My backhand is very weak and my shots tend to loop a little.

After reading about the forums I have decided to purchase Sriver rubbers. The FX and L.

I've been given a very old Butterfly Geregly Blade, I think it's one from the 70's or so.

The blade is in excellent condition.

I have a dilemma! Is the old Geregly Blade any good for a beginner or should I buy a Primorac OFF- blade?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Alan

says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
says hAHAHAHA THANX MATE :D
Mar 2011
Wow!! You have a Gergely? Excellent blade buddy! It goes very well with Sriver, any Sriver in fact. If you can handle it, why would you want to change. No doubt it's a very fast blade, but tame it if you can, and it will be rewarding.

Yes, it's a blade for experts. But if I got for free, I would definitely try to master it. Don't blow your dosh on a new blade. Having a weaker BH is not a reason for you to change your equipment buddy. Practice makes perfect, so I would suggest you do just that. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Thanks for the help!

I'll give the old Gergely a try. With only being a beginner i'm unsure of how to know if the blade is too fast :confused: Hopefully it will be fine!

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
Wow!! You have a Gergely? Excellent blade buddy! It goes very well with Sriver, any Sriver in fact. If you can handle it, why would you want to change. No doubt it's a very fast blade, but tame it if you can, and it will be rewarding.

Yes, it's a blade for experts. But if I got for free, I would definitely try to master it. Don't blow your dosh on a new blade. Having a weaker BH is not a reason for you to change your equipment buddy. Practice makes perfect, so I would suggest you do just that. :D

I agree with Azlan...If you got it for free then you should play with it, at least for a while...so that you will later be able to determine what you like or don't like!
One of drawback of playing with a blade that is too fast though, especially for a beginner is that you might develop some weird strokes because of the speed and lack of dwell time...I recommended to play with it for few months. If you feel good with it they stick with it, but if if you thinks that you put too many balls long off the table or can't keep the ball low and short, then you should consider a slower blade.

When I first started to play in France, the blade of choice for beginner (that was almost imposed by the coach) was the Tibhar IV L... I still believe that it gave me plenty of control as i was able to learn the proper stroke and learn how to feel the ball rather than just hit it!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Thanks for the help!

I'll give the old Gergely a try. With only being a beginner i'm unsure of how to know if the blade is too fast :confused: Hopefully it will be fine!

At the beginner stage, it is MUCH MUCH more important to learn form, tactics, strokes, etc under professinal competent guidance. What equipment is used is not as important as the professional guidance. A player can learn the strokes with a super slow or super fast blade. happens all the time here. Coach brings anyone from newb to USATT 1800+ in two years with a bat that would have the pundits roll in their grave.

The bad thing about rediculous fast bats is when you try to improve WITHOUT professional help, you develop BAD habits and do not hit through the ball as the ball comes off the bat fast enough on passive shots to clear the net, then you get confused about the proper bat angle on stronger shots. Professional coaching makes this a moot point 99% of time.

Have fun with your new (Free) blade and enjoy the game with or without a coach.

says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
says http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=100002098293963
Sep 2011
Hello friend

I hope your Playing regularly I have piece of advice you have one of best carbon ply for beginners or up coming players since your good at top spin you can add spectol on back hand or Yaska A2 pips out for better play and improve fast.

If you dont like pips out you can use copa gold or sinus tibhar Pips in

Pl check with your coach or senior players