What is different between ST and FL?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I don't know what's different between ST and FL?

Which one is better?

generally each one is best for what?

This user has no status.
I actually customized my Viscaria since they almost exclusively are sold as flared. :)

viscaria.jpg

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
The shape of the handle.

ST is straight. FL is flared. Down to personal preference. I like straight. :)

I know that
My point is don't any change speed or control or something at ST ?
I before hear that ST is very good for service!

This user has no status.
I don't know what's different between ST and FL?

Which one is better?

generally each one is best for what?
For me that using twiddling AKA flipping forehand and backhand side,

twiddling and half twiddling ST blades is easier than FL blades, no big "butt" stuck in my palm.

Miniscule fingering to reposition the blade is much easier.

I should agree that FL grip much more stable than SH grip. Lack finger grip in FL is okay, the big "butt" latch to your palm. Lack finger grip in ST means flying blades. (。•́︿•̀。)

Sent from my I7D using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Most of the previous comments get at the main issues.

The main differences are:

1) They feel different in your hands so, personal preference: whichever feels better in a person's hand is the one he/she will prefer. The different handles do not noticeably change speed, dwell time or feeling from the blade, so it really boils down to personal preference and there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

2) Straight is better for twiddling so a lot of LP defenders use straight.

3) With flared you can have a very relaxed grip and hold primarily with index finger and thumb and keep the other three fingers loose. This gives you more whipping action and so, more racket acceleration and spin because of the whip mechanics of the stroke. The reason is the thinner neck of the handle with the thicker butt of the handle. However, a guy like Timo Boll, who uses a straight handle, still gets great acceleration and spin on his strokes. So, technique will always win out.

4) The shape of the flared handle should actually enable you to use more wrist on shots and serve. The thinner neck is less in the way of the movement of the wrist. The thicker butt of the handle actually helps you use the wrist more because of how you can press the heel of the hand into the butt and get extra movement from the head of the blade because the neck of the blade is not in the way.

5) Based on the information above: because you are encouraged to grip a little more firmly with straight handle, it is thought to make the FH a little more powerful. Because of the ability to generate more whip and use more wrist, flared handle is thought to be a little better for BH and serves.

The last thing I will say is that, if you look at the top pros in the world and then you look at the ones that are offensive players, over 95% of them use a flared handle.

It is worth contemplating why if you play a two winged offensive looping game.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It's also important to note that it's down to a particular blade's ST or FL when you're going for it. If you have a shop around you that has the blade you want in both ST and FL, go and try it for yourself.

This is a good point. Different companies make their handles differently. If you compared Stiga's Legend Flare with the flare from a TB ALC, they are as different as a Legend Flare is from one of Stiga's Peter Straight handles. Not only is a straight square handle different from a straight round handle, each company makes their handles differently. And most companies make their handles differently for different blades. Like the flare on a Viscaria is very different from the flare on a TB ALC. :)

Reactions: BeGo and perham

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
I can't use ST, it just feels all wrong in my hand and I don't feel that I've got a proper grip on the bat. Consequently I'd always used FL. However my current TB ALC is AN, purely because I picked up someone else's AN and it felt so "right" that I decided there and then my next bat would be AN.

The size (thickness rather than length) of the handle makes just as much difference as the shape, and is unfortunately something which manufacturers seem to keep very much to themselves. Stiga blades can have quite chunky handles which is good for those with larger hands, whereas Butterfly's handles seem to be quite skinny. When you are buying a blade here in the UK there are no bricks-and-mortar stores where you can go and try one for size, unless you happen to live in the north-east of the country - so you buy your blade online and effectively take pot luck on the size of the handle. This is one reason why grip tapes are so popular !

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 3 reviews
Indeed. Brands make a difference. I like Xiom (Zeta Offensive) flared, but I find Joola (Rossi Emotion) flared too long for my liking. Joola is broader at the bottom in comparison to Xiom. My new handle is a straight one from Andro (Treiber Z) and I love it after trying only flared ones in the past. In case I ever feel it slipping out during play, I'll roll a single strip of grip tape at the bottom. I'm a backhand dominant player and somehow I feel straight suits me more than flared. I hope you can try both physically at a store, and then choose.

Reactions: JHB
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Many good theoretical points, and the important practical about the handle fitting your hand.

After years of trying many different things, how the blade feels in my hand and how it is balanced mean a lot more to me than other characteristics. In other words, if you took the two carbon layers out of my racket I´d surely adjust to the remaining speed, but if you made the blade more top-heavy or the handle longer or thicker there´d be a problem.

Reactions: BeGo and Madmazel