Long pips on ALC

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Hey all,

I have a question about a change i want to make in my tabeltennis play. I currently have a Timo Boll ALC blade with tenergy 05 on my forehand and rozena on my backhand. However ive always wanted to try out pimples. Now i know i should try pimples with a defensive blade however i dont wanna change my winning forehand. So i was wondering if i wanna chop in the third position what kind of pimples would suit me best. Ive never played with pimles so i have no prior experience.
Would love to hear your ideas.

With kind regards,
Martijn

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have a TB ALC but I have never considered putting LP on it. The ALC is too fast and is really meant to be use with inverted for play a little from the table.

Any LP will work but since the ALC is fast I would add some sponge to absorb energy. Even 0.4-0.6mm will make a big difference if chopping. The sponge provides extra friction that is useful for chopping and attacking but not so good if you want to play push blocker style and block at the table.

I have a friend that tried LPs. He could never get use to the different strokes and what you need to do under different circumstances. People think it is easy to play with LPs but there is a learning curve.

So,
Get 755 0.6mm or similar like DHS C8 or Pogo 0.6mm, or Dawei 388D 0.6mm
1.0mm will work too but 0.6mm is a good starter. Do not spend a lot of money until you know if you can adapt.

I like to play with junk rubbers. It is fun but everyone tells me I play best with double inverted. This will probably be true in your case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
If I am not mistaken, Der_Echte in the past described similar setup (fast blade with LP OX on BH) as being quite popular in Korean clubs: OX on fast blade maximizes reversal and you then flat kill any loose returns with FH. Not a lot of chopping needed here, I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
pgpg;244212OX on fast blade maximizes reversal[/quote said:
Yes, but the quality of your shot must be close to perfect. Balls with spin reversal will float long. Fast paddles with LP 0X do not absorb the impact of fast loops well. Often the ball will go long unless the trajectory make the ball go just over the net.
One needs to learn how to hold the paddle loosely and even draw the paddle back a bit before contact to avoid the ball bouncing too fast off the paddle.

and you then flat kill any loose returns with FH. Not a lot of chopping needed here, I guess.
Then T05 is not required. A SP like 802-40 will do.
But the OP wants to chop. A good FH rubber like T05 is handy. There are choppers like Ruwen Filus that seems to never chop with his FH and just hits or loops and when hitting or looping from chopping distance you want a faster rubber.
I think the ALC is too fast for chopping. if the ALC weren't too fast for chopping then more people would be chopping with an ALC. The OP should buy a slow cheap chopping paddle.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
But the OP wants to chop.

Yes, missed that - mea culpa. Obviously what I (and Der_Echte) describe is much more about close to the table play with LP.

Also, the fact that OP never played with LP before is important, as you pointed out - they are not magical and require lots of practice.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
I understand that long pips will take a long time to get used to and a lot of practice to become good with. However ive always been fascinated by players who are able to chop far behind the table. I just hear a lot of different things about 0X and a sponge. My play plan is primarily to stand far begind the table, think 2nd and 3rd position. And attack with my forehand when possible, however chop with my backhand when the opponent is spinning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Chopping is fun. I understand the fascination but.... be realistic. Don't mess up your competition paddle.

If you do decide to put LP on your ALC then get an LP with sponge. It will be easier to put on and take off as well as absorb energy. LP with sponge will allow you to switch back and forth easily.
Try 755 0.6mm. It is cheap. Gluing LP 0X can be a b!tch unless it comes with a glue sheet.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
OP, I was in your shoes ~4 years ago with exactly the same motivation: "I want to chop loops like Joo does!". Reality is somewhat more complex, and where you end up really depends on your current level, your patience, and probably tons of other factors.

I'm not going to re-type most of my posts here, so I'll just give you a link to OOAK thread, perhaps you will find it helpful:

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=27372