U.S. Nationals 2011

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
So if you live in the U.S. or follow U.S. TT at all you know that we've just had the U.S. Nationals in VA Beach.

I just thought I'd put up this video because at 11:34 Peter has some style in losing a point. Does a cool little spin on the floor after going for FH shot.

Any discussion on the tourney will be fun I'm sure.

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
How did Timothy Wang did on this edition? I like his style...smart player!
for those who don't know about him...check this exciting video of match played at the Los Angeles Open 2011 ($45000 was the total prize money, and $12000 for the open single), that was only the 8's of final...but amazing battle!

This user has no status.
US Nationals quarter final ??? Almost no rallies at all, poor service returns, 3rd division level in Belgium i think.
The US is not producing high level table tennis, because i think it is not really taken seriously. Just look at Borat's hobby , yeah , ping-pong !

I dont want to hurt feelings here , it is just reality.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
I agree our players are not up to world class levels, but let's be honest here these guys are teenagers and they have only been playing seriously for the last 2-3 years. Your Belgium leagues and divisions have players that have been playing for a long time. No need to mention Borat, he isn't a reflection of Table Tennis in North America. Belgium doesn't quite rank at world class levels either. Frankly very little of Europe ranks at world class anymore except the top players. China produces so many more player that are in fact at World Class levels, but because of the Coaches decisions and their process of producing players only allow a few out at a time. There are players that are professional practice partners that will literally copy any style necessary to learn from. And they'll do it better than the actual player.

I agree that the U.S. has no world class level players, but I also want to say that we're still in our infancy as far as ITTF goes. Europe has been around the block and really should be pushing more for better players and better teams.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Hey... In the U.S. even if you take Table Tennis seriously (I do :D at least 35 hours a week doing drills and practicing)... The problem locally is the lack of high level players, and general consensus of my peers at school that table tennis is a game which the Chinese take too seriously, and that the real way to play is (in the way I see it) low basement level play. There are few coaches anywhere, none locally. The top players around here are around 1400-1600 in the USATT ratings (of which there are maybe 3 or 4), there is one player from China who played professionally in high school and is rated at around 2400, he played for a while, and then I'm pretty sure discovered girl and bars. I really wish we had world class level players, and I really want to be able to play on a high level (maybe I'll find a camp in China for this summer, and go and train).

Nov 2011
Hey... In the U.S. even if you take Table Tennis seriously (I do :D at least 35 hours a week doing drills and practicing)... The problem locally is the lack of high level players, and general consensus of my peers at school that table tennis is a game which the Chinese take too seriously, and that the real way to play is (in the way I see it) low basement level play. There are few coaches anywhere, none locally. The top players around here are around 1400-1600 in the USATT ratings (of which there are maybe 3 or 4), there is one player from China who played professionally in high school and is rated at around 2400, he played for a while, and then I'm pretty sure discovered girl and bars. I really wish we had world class level players, and I really want to be able to play on a high level (maybe I'll find a camp in China for this summer, and go and train).

Well i semi agree with you on that and have to say that it may depends on where you live in the US, I'm sorry to hear that the highest level around your area summarize to 1400- 1600 players...I guess i am kinda lucky then since in our club we have quite a few players at 2100- 2300, and couple 2400- 2500.

But in my opinion the real problem in the US is the lack of structure! When i first started to play in the US (after quitting for 10 year the french league), shockingly I discover that there were no league, i mean some year long inter club competition...and there are various reasons for that.
But the consequences are that players in local clubs don't develop the kind of bond and team spirit (since they do not experienced the team aspect or the feeling of belonging to the same team or even club) that is required to push each other to the limits and point out each other mistakes. On top of that individualistic mind frame it takes away a tremendous amount of experience (by not participating in a season long championship) for players of any level...Personally, playing just tournament just doesn't do it there is an atmosphere of camaraderie that you just cannot get without being in a championship with a bunch of guys!

Forget about not having Chinese players around..although sure its always good to have some around to get a reality check....But I think that USATT should step up and work on a league/championship involving USATT ratings, that would be paid for when the player takes his membership at the beginning of the season (maybe having two types of membership: one at $40 the same as the one currently offer and one more expensive but gives you the right to be part of the club team and participate the league)
At a even more macro level...there is no government involvement in any sport, besides a superficial promotion of recreational activity to combat childhood obesity...
Sorry for the cynical view on this...but that is my opinion

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2012
Why didn't GAO jun play WS? Surely shed win?She played in doubles I think . For some reason I love her style. Is she gonna try for Olympics this year?

Gao defaulted in WS draw, nothing to prove there. Her doubles partner was one of her students. :) I love Auntie Gao very much. I drew a lot of stares at the Shanghai Worlds in 2005 for cheering so loudly for her. As an ex-pat, the crowd was polite but restrained. She reached QF, IIRC.

Her style is wonderful and superb BH blocking skills have kept her competitive for a long time. She is a fierce competitor and very proud. By virtue of her World Ranking, she prequalified for Olympic berth. She'll be in London, you can be assured.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
She just won the U.S. Olympic Trials 11-0 with a cold and just blocking. She's still such a solid player with the traditional Penhold. On another note, we're working with Peter Li the National's Champ and hopefully will have some videos for people. I'm currently shooting the video with him and finishing up on Monday. It'll be exciting to start editing it.