Letting rubbers "breathe" before sticking them on (in order to reduce shrinkage)?

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Letting rubbers "breathe" before sticking them on (in order to reduce shrinkage)?

Hi Guys,

I've seen a posted on you-tube which suggests that you should leave new rubbers out of the packet to "breathe" for about 72 hours in order to allow any shrinkage before putting them on the blade, rather then putting them on the blade straight out of the packet and then having them shrink afterwards. Is this common knowledge as its the first I've heard of it? Also, do you need to glue them up and then leave for 72 hours, or do you put the glue on at the end of the 72 hour period right before you stick the rubber on the blade?

I currently have a tenergy rubber that's 24 hours out of the packet but I've not put any glue on it yet.

Thanks

Stuart

If the package is not vacuum sealed there is absolutely no reason to "breathe" the rubbers.
Factory "pretuned/boosted" rubbers are vacuum sealed to keep the gas in. If you leave them to breathe, they will loose some of the booster effect and I doubt if they will shrink less. All rubbers shrink at some extend, sometimes just because of overpressure tention during gluing.