Is the time right for Tenergy 25?

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
I've been reading up a bit recently on the so-called "new style" of table tennis that has developed since the introduction of the plastic balls. From what I can gather, the new style of play is characterised by staying a bit closer to the table, taking the ball a little earlier, and focusing a bit more on speed and power rather than spin (think power-drive rather than spinny loops). From what I can see Harimoto is a prime example of this sort of play.

So this go me thinking, Tenergy 25 has always been seen as the odd one out in the Tenergy series and hardly and top level players use it. But could the 25 actually be better suited to this new style of play than the other rubber in the series? Might we see more players experimenting with this rubber?

I don't believe Harimoto uses the Tenergy 25, but from watching a few of his matches I can't help but wonder if 25 would actually suit his game better than what he currently uses.

Interested to hear your thoughts on T25 for the plastic ball era.

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I've been reading up a bit recently on the so-called "new style" of table tennis that has developed since the introduction of the plastic balls. From what I can gather, the new style of play is characterised by staying a bit closer to the table, taking the ball a little earlier, and focusing a bit more on speed and power rather than spin (think power-drive rather than spinny loops). From what I can see Harimoto is a prime example of this sort of play.

So this go me thinking, Tenergy 25 has always been seen as the odd one out in the Tenergy series and hardly and top level players use it. But could the 25 actually be better suited to this new style of play than the other rubber in the series? Might we see more players experimenting with this rubber?

I don't believe Harimoto uses the Tenergy 25, but from watching a few of his matches I can't help but wonder if 25 would actually suit his game better than what he currently uses.

Interested to hear your thoughts on T25 for the plastic ball era.

I agree with you, and maybe in the future we can see younger players play with tenergy 25. Tenergy 05 Hard also could suit well this style and theorically with the right technique could be easier to play also in mid distance in some game situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeGo
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018

The weird thing about the T25 is that it's a rubber designed for close-to-table spin game. Close-to-table spin game. See the problem with that?

You don't play a spinny game close to the table. When you're close to the table, you don't need to worry about trajectory as much when you can take the ball at top of bounce or late ascent. Instead, you focus on speed, and to do that you hit, not brush. T25 is absolutely taking things backward.

Last edited:
Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Interestingly enough, T25-FX is popular in my club as a backhand rubber. Very easy and safe to block with and you can generate quite a bit of spin using your wrist as the sponge is a bit softer.

One of my club mates also uses T25-FX an both sides. He tries to be a chopper, but that oftentimes doesn't work for him. So after a series of (more or less) unforced errors he would go full attack mode. He's a lefty and the spin he can generate on fast topspin shots is simply insane, impossible to block.

Reactions: anchorschmidt
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I agree and maybe in the future we can see younger players play with tenergy 25.