Pro Players Not Using Grip Tape

This user has no status.
Hi,

I have just been wondering abour why we don't see many pro players using grip tapes on their blade. I use one and i don't feel like i've comprimised anything by using it, and it gave me the benefit of being less worried that my blade slides in my hand (never been a big issue for me) and it gives me somehow a bit more confidence to hit the ball a tad bit harder.
It could be becouse pro players have blades that have heavier heads compared to regular blades, but im not sure.

What's your opinion on this guys?

I think that you already have the answer in your own post - You are worried of sliding and You feel more confident with a grip tape. If you really need a grip tape for confidence, most probably you don't utilze looser grip. Top players feel confident enough even with the loosyest grip and don't need grip tape.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
If a pro player is good then the factory would probably make a blade with a larger handle for them.

You need to ask the real question as to why players use grip tape. Most amateurs (ie club members) want a thicker and fatter grip as the Western countries players have bigger hands.

Why do you think Tibhar's Samsonovs Force Pro Black Edition is so popular in Europe? Hint the very large grip.

Why is it so hard for manufacturers to test out a larger grip? If the did you'd see less wrapped handles.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
There are quite a few pros using grip tape still. Notably Vladi. Depends how much you sweat.

Do you say that grip tape helps if you sweat a lot?
My understading is just the opposite - usually most of the handles are made of a pourous wood which absorbs the wet /and is drying faster after play/. The grip tape will make the wet to go to the head, which is worse.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Interesting explanation of why SFPBE is so popular. Because the one I had was a lousy blade. Handle was nice though.

Maybe pro players don't use overgrips because they make fine grip adjustments during the point and it's harder to do that with tape on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I used to use grip tape, but then I've been told by one coach I should remove it as grip tape lessen the feedback and you cant feel your blade properly. (Of course this is very subjective and depends on the blade and your level).

This is one of the reasons. At least from the pros i know personally.
Grip tape dampens the feeling quite a bit since it's less responsive.
I could imagine that the Game from guys like Dima probably wouldn't suffer as much as Timo's for instance.

Reactions: thomas.pong
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You need to ask the real question as to why players use grip tape. Most amateurs (ie club members) want a thicker and fatter grip as the Western countries players have bigger hands.

Why do you think Tibhar's Samsonovs Force Pro Black Edition is so popular in Europe? Hint the very large grip.

Why is it so hard for manufacturers to test out a larger grip? If the did you'd see less wrapped handles.

If U buy Ur blades from Nate4s, then that isn't such a worry either. Those handles are just right for those wanting a beefy grip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
a cedric nunytinck blade.

So the "new blade that Vladi played during the EC which will be released to the market soon" will be a re-designed Nuytinck?

Like they did with the CCA, only that people "felt" there were differences between CCA and VS Unlimited other than the color? ;)

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
no, it was a cedric nuytinck blade before. the one that has a red handle with 1 black stripe. he changed over to the cca unlimited.

Changed back then, because the Nuytinck has just been released whereas the CCA has been out for a while.

Anyway, something new has been promised, not yet announced, but we´ll see.