ma long service SPIN

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is hard to tell. He pulls up. It could be topspin with the sidespin. But he comes from under. It could be underspin. It bounces like it is topspin though. Still, the pros are good because they can disguise those things. The idea with that service motion is that you can produce pure underspin, underspin with sidespin, pure sidespin, sidespin with topspin and pure topspin with what looks like the same motion. There is definitely sidespin on that serve because you can see the ball curve towards the backhand side. But it is well disguised whether that is topspin or underspin.

This user has no status.
it is topspin with sidespin... and this one is not a tricky serve. I have seen some serves where I would swear that it is backspin and it comes with topspin and vice versa...
I will leave a video here where it shows some part of the final in a Tournament here in Nicaragua and the Guy in blue shirt has really good serves and I also would like to know what you think of these 2 players

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
I personally use side- backspin serves therefore i can assure that the serve of ma long is a side-backspin serve! :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
it is topspin with sidespin... and this one is not a tricky serve. I have seen some serves where I would swear that it is backspin and it comes with topspin and vice versa...
I will leave a video here where it shows some part of the final in a Tournament here in Nicaragua and the Guy in blue shirt has really good serves and I also would like to know what you think of these 2 players

The players look decent. The video quality is not good. Most of the serves look like they are long. If they were slow motion close-ups like the ones in the video for this thread we could probably tell what they are. But these guys look like they can play.

This user has no status.
They are really good and it is just that they are not in top shape but they trained for like about a year in China when they were young. Their game does not look that awesome because they stay close to the table but when you get to play against them you tell how good they are...
and the video unfortunately was taken with a camera not a video camera that is the reason of the poor resolution...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
The ball has side and top spin, but it is not a side top spin service. It is a corkscrew service. Go to the video and put your mouse on 0:18 and keep click on it after the service has been done. You'll see that he pulls up to the side of the ball which means on the first bounce it looks like underspin, but on the second bounce it corks into side and topspin.

A cork screw service is very handy against impatient players. Spin on a ball is always shown by it's bounce and trajectory. You can see the side with it's arc, but you can tell if it is top, under or dead by it's bounce. A cork screw ball plays on our tendencies to be impatient if we only look at the first bounce and go in for a bh loop or a push we'll misread the spin and hit long or push high. The second bounce is always the most important to watch because it either confirms the guess of service or recalculates for less error.

Hope this helps all.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
In Norway, this motion is simply called "feilskru" that in direct translate means "Wrong spin" in english... Most players above a certain level use this serve a lot. Myself, for an example, I am trying to use different variations of spin based on this motion. But you righthanders should be really careful using this against a lefty like me, I can honestly tell you that it's really easy to return in a good way for lefthanded players. (Think it's because of the angle of the wrist or something, don't got a reasonable explanation, just experience)
Many of my opponents in Norway have told me that I have a good service, based on this motion. Don't know if the serve has a name in english, but we could call it "wrong spin" or something, maybe "reversed pendulum", or just "maddafakkin' freaky serve" ?? :)

Haha, anyway, great video! ;)

Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Bring it on Rich, many have tried those before haha :p

What I'm saying is that it's not a bad serve at all, just that it's not as effective as usual against decent leftys ;) If you ever visit Norway, you are welcome to a match at my club Mr.RicharD :)