Aug 2017
Butterfly not being humble...

thumbnail.jpg

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Aren't all the players at WTTC sponsored? So this is another way of saying Bty sponsors around 60% of top players.

Reactions: langel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Aren't all the players at WTTC sponsored? So this is another way of saying Bty sponsors around 60% of top players.

No, not all WTTC players are sponsored
especially the teams even where your 3rd division players are hardly even sponsored, or in some cases, the players might even need to fund themselves to get there

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

You see, the thing that gets interesting is how often a player who is sponsored by a company that IS NOT Butterfly, still uses Tenergy instead of the rubber from their sponsor. It happens with blades too. But not as frequently.

I sort of hate Butterfly. But they do make good equipment. :)

I had a friend who was sponsored by Stiga. This was about 5 years ago. She asked Stiga if she could use the blades but not the rubbers. She told them she could not compete on an equal playing field with players using Tenergy while she was using Stiga Rubbers. Stiga told her "No." She had integrity. She switched and took a sponsorship with Butterfly. :)

Back then what Stiga had was Calibra. Today they may have rubbers that she could get by with though.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
She asked Stiga if she could use the blades but not the rubbers. She told them she could not compete on an equal playing field with players using Tenergy while she was using Stiga Rubbers.

She´s not the only one. And think about it, "not on an equal field" if you don´t have tenergy. While the forum "experts" tell you otherwise, on a certain level there is hardly an alternative for tenergy. Somehow it seems that people who have never used it get by with the new stuff that is available, but those used to playing tenergy never switch (unless their sponsor forces them too, like Tibhar).

Back then what Stiga had was Calibra. Today they may have rubbers that she could get by with though.

Well, I think the problem obviously persists when Ovtcharov (who could get ANYTHING from Donic) still can´t think of "integrity" ;)

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would like to know how they accounted for players that use two different brand rubbers.
e.g. DHS on the forehand and Butterfly on the backhand
The total percentages add up to 100% .............

Very good question

If I was the marketer, 1 bats, only have 50% butterfly rubber, rounding off is 100% ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Is there a key/legend for those other colors? I would be interested in seeing which other companies have the next biggest market-shares (blue and green colors).

I think it's a sacred secret :D . There was an interview done buy tabletennis11 and you could ask Tibhar owner "anything". So one of my questions was how big they are. It wasn't asnwered, although it was asked...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think it's a sacred secret :D . There was an interview done buy tabletennis11 and you could ask Tibhar owner "anything". So one of my questions was how big they are. It wasn't asnwered, although it was asked...

I actually wonder how big is Tibhar...

there are brands like Yasaka who is fading
Donic maybe also faded a bit
Xiom is growing - but only in some places
Joola is out there, but small
DHS seems to be growing a lot
Stiga is still very strong
Nittaku and the other Japanese brand are only strong at home and Asia
New brand from Germany - Gewo getting market share in Europe and getting in partnership with many top juniors
Andro is still out there,

Seems like Tibhar should be stronger than half on this list if you look at the global scale.
Is it top 3 in the world, maybe not?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

there are brands like Yasaka who is fading
Donic maybe also faded a bit
Xiom is growing - but only in some places
Joola is out there, but small
DHS seems to be growing a lot
Nittaku and the other Japanese brand are only strong at home and Asia
New brand from Germany - Gewo getting market share in Europe and getting in partnership with many top juniors
Andro is still out there,

Seems like Tibhar should be stronger than half on this list if you look at the global scale.
Is it top 3 in the world, maybe not?

That's a tough question.
Not knowing what I am talking about (that's a disclaimer :) ) my guess for top 3 would be:
1.Butterfly
2.DHS
3.Stiga...

in the interview owner agreed that tibhar is quite small in blades, but their MX-P is a very competitive rubber and you need 2 of them, and you have to change minimum 2-3 times per year, more often 4... so rubbers are more profitable then blades.. so maybe I'd give them the 4th place...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I would like to know how they accounted for players that use two different brand rubbers.
e.g. DHS on the forehand and Butterfly on the backhand
The total percentages add up to 100% .............

The rubber usage rate is calculated from the number of rubbers, not the number of players.

Here's how they conduct it.

eHigvQB.jpg

Z95lrL5.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews

On pro level, maybe smaller than they wish. On amateur level many players have made a switch from tenergy05 to MX-P, while on pro level this does not seem to be the case, except for Tibhar players who were forced to.

Depends on where and what. As for rubbers, in Germany for example they are dead in the water. No one even tries Mantra rubbers because the disappointment about Calibra Tour and Airoc was so huge. Blades still doing ok.

Very traditional OLD brand, but under the radar for a long time, rightly so because of lack of competitive material. Now with ESN rubbers like almost everybody else, a strong Yoo Nam Kyu (and Samsung company sports) partnership and number three in South Korea.

Andro is still out there

and big in Japan, where the manga-ish marketing graphics obviously appeal (not my saying)

Seems like Tibhar should be stronger than half on this list

Maybe. They still have quite a few national teams sponsored, but top players? Samsonov and who else?