Is my grip handicapping me a lot?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
I've had no formal instruction. When I pick up a paddle, it's natural for me to wrap my entire hand around the handle. Putting my thumb or index finger anywhere else feels weird. I use the same grip for both forehand and backhand. Can I improve my level while using this grip, or is it critical that I change it?

xXJIBDY.jpg

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
For me a grip like that would really slow me from switching forehand/backhand and would not contribute anything useful in regarding to the solidity of the grip or the freedom of the wrist.
Dunno how it works out for you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The short answer is, Yes! There is no possible way you can have the precision of control of the blade face to get get high level spin when both your thumb and your index finger are on the handle and not touching the blade face. You also cannot hold for most high level serves and get back to that grip from a serve grip.

You could drive and smash with that grip. But because you are not using the index finger and thumb to hold and control the blade face, you also will not feel the same kinds of feedback to control the blade face with that grip.

grip 1.jpg

grip 2.jpg

grip 3.jpg

grip 4.jpg

There are many variations. But the key detail is that the index finger pressing on the BH side controls the blade face on the FH. The thumb pressing on the FH side controls the blade face on BH. These also give your shot more power. Holding the blade face between the index finger and thumb allows you to soften the grip on the blade face when someone gives you a heavy heavy spin to deaden the spin and absorb some of the power from the shot. Tightening the pressure between index finger and thumb on contact can make heavy topspin even heavier. Softening the grip pressure between index finger and thumb on contact can let you hit a shot that looks like it will be heavy while actually having less spin.

I can't really imagine you could get some of the subtlety of how precise you can touch the ball when you are really controlling the blade face. And all you really need to hold the racket is those two fingers. When you serve you remove the other fingers. At least if you do a pendulum or reverse pendulum. I can hit FHs pretty decently with the middle, ring and pinky fingers off the handle like in the second photo.

In the end, you do what you want. There are always exceptions to the rules. But I have a feeling there is a lot of stuff you would end up realizing about the game if you were able to switch that you may never have access to feeling and understanding with the grip you are using.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Yes, you should change the grip. Try gripping the handle like you are going to shake someones hand. The thumb will be on one side and the index finger on the other side, almost creating the letter "V". You want the loose skin between the fingers in the middle of the racket. If there are space on the left side of the racket between the racket and the loose skin then you are holding backhand grip. The opposite for forehand grip. So try to have the loose skin in the middle for neutral grip. You can also try to extend your arm to the maximum and look with one eye, if you see the forehand side you are holding backhand grip and if you see the backhand side you are holding forehand grip. For neutral you dont want to se any side. Hope this make sense, have a hard time explaining this in words and in another language. Please post another picture with the corrected grip!