Starting equipment thoughts cpen

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hello!

I have been playing for roughly a year and a half now and ive now been looking to switch from premade to custom. Im currently a developing penholder with heavy preference for loop and topspin shots. I rarely block and can do RPB relatively comfortably.

A friend in my club gave me his YEO and i bought a focus 3 for my bh and 729-08 ES for my fh. Im aware this setup is generally faster than recommended for beginners, but i got the blade for a steal so I would like to know if its still possible to develop strokes and play well with this setup.

if not, should i consider switching this FH rubber for something more controllable such as 729Higher Transcend/ or Ktl pro xp? How will a soft rubber play on a stiff blade? If i should switch, what rubbers do you recommend for my playstyle? Im relatively new to equipment, but i think i want to play with chinese rubber

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have a c-pen yeo too. I would stick with what you have for now. after playing with what you have now you may get a better idea of what you want. Right now you are searching for what you will be comfortable with. We can not know this.

i do have an opinion. I prefer a little thinner rubber on my RPB but I would feel comfortable playing with your paddle.
Play with what you have then decide.

Reactions: Tanstin12
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP, if your game is good for using a non-tacky OFF control rubber, you are in the middle of the zone for what is needed.

$14 or so for this rubber isn't bad, replace it often, it wont kill you financially. Give away the sheet to another startup player or coach to give away.

You blade and Focus are not really uber-fast. If you do not like Focus, move to another control rubber. Rubbers in this class are good for you now while you build a foundation, then you can move to what is your new center of mass down the road.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
OP, if your game is good for using a non-tacky OFF control rubber, you are in the middle of the zone for what is needed.

$14 or so for this rubber isn't bad, replace it often, it wont kill you financially. Give away the sheet to another startup player or coach to give away.

You blade and Focus are not really uber-fast. If you do not like Focus, move to another control rubber. Rubbers in this class are good for you now while you build a foundation, then you can move to what is your new center of mass down the road.
thank you, i will stick with it for now then

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
I have a c-pen yeo too. I would stick with what you have for now. after playing with what you have now you may get a better idea of what you want. Right now you are searching for what you will be comfortable with. We can not know this.
i do have an opinion. I prefer a little thinner rubber on my RPB but I would feel comfortable playing with your paddle.
Play with what you have then decide.

thats fair advice. how does the yeo suit you personally?

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I do not use the YEO personal, I have several wood blades I have used successfully.

It is a mission impossible to try everything ever made. The YEO is famous and is center of mass for the style you describe. I frequently advocate players getting equipment middle of zone for allround offensive at first, develop skills, then switch to equipment suitable for what they become.

There are so many possible combinations it is insane to pursue every one of them. Just get one middle of zone and go at it.

This isn't the only way, I have seen Korean coaches start students out on such ridiculous fast rocket launcher equipment it would drive a pundit insane, but their system works too. Pundits' system works too. Time proven. As much as I am frequently at odds with pundits, my equipment recommendations is close to theirs.