Sanding blade surface + general gluing difficulties

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hi all.

I've had a Stiga Rosewood blade for about 3 years now and over that time I've learnt how to glue table tennis rubbers properly when changing or regluing rubbers!

However a recent issue I've been having is that the rubbers keep having air bubbles underneath and I'm finding it impossible to glue the edges down because they keep peeling off themselves almost immediately after I finish gluing...

I'm not a novice and I use a rolling pin, sponges to spread the glue, etc.

I've tried peeling the dried glue from the sponge to see if that helps (and it does a little bit) but nothing really seems to work. My blade has suddenly stopped wanting to play nice...

The only thing I can think of is that the surface of the blade which is usually covered by the rubber is now quite smooth because of all the times I've applied glue to it and the solution may be to carefully sand the blade surface.

TLDR:

1) Could the build-up of glue on the surface of my blade be causing me issues in gluing rubbers?

2) If so then should I be thinking of carefully sanding my blade surface?

3) If so how should I do it without destroying my blade???

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do you not remove the old glue from the blade?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
you have to remove the glue residue from the rubber. Also, which glue are you using?

I've removed the glue residue from the rubber but do I need to remove it from the blade as well? If so, what would be the best way of doing this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I Do not think you need to remove the glue from the rubber But need to remove it from the blade. Try to just rub it off with your hand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Yes, the easiest way to remove the glue from the blade is to rub it with your fingers. Also can use an eraser if you want to spare your fingers. I think I saw a special tool for that in some TT catalogue too, but don't remember the brand. So no need for sanding the blade and I don't think that would be advisable at all...

Do you use a clicky press as well to keep the rubber and blade compressed for about 12 hours to make sure you have a good bond between the two surfaces?

wow, I'd say that's an overkill. Roll over the blade with a bottle and you'll be fine :)