How do you manage your headspace while playing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This has always been my problem. I find i loose many games just because of my attitude rather than my technical ability. In fact, i'm one of those guys that is very consistent in training, but makes stupid mistakes in actual matches. If i'm in a good day i can stay motivated and and actually play to my full potential, but most of the time i either lack motivation/attitude or just have a rollercoaster performance by winning one set very easily then loosing the next badly.

So what are your suggestions to improve mental consistency in games?

Reactions: eduardo1995filipe
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe you can practise training matches and try to make them as neas as the real matches.By doing so you will practice on training to have the right mindset.

I find it interesting that you are motivated some days but not some others. Why is that? what have you done before, different preparations? and how do you think differently?

Maybe you should try to read some sport psychology.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Maybe you can practise training matches and try to make them as neas as the real matches.By doing so you will practice on training to have the right mindset.

I find it interesting that you are motivated some days but not some others. Why is that? what have you done before, different preparations? and how do you think differently?

Maybe you should try to read some sport psychology.

I try to do that, but even in practice matches i sometimes struggle to find concentration and the will to win. I don't know why that happens, sometimes there are external factors like too much noise (the volleyball kids train right next to us), or i just feel tired, but sometimes i was actually having a good practice session but then play like crap.

Here is an example of my first league match this season. I was still struggling with the FH because of the chinese rubber, now it's better but it serves as an example of how i was up by 7-3 and manage to loose the set by doing stupid mistakes. I'm the guy in red.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Maybe need to try to rest more before the practice if possible so you are not tired. And maybe you need a better playing style, where you try to use your strengths more. So you play better at matchplay.

I can not play the clip, it says that it is not available. Maybe you can try to copy the link.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Maybe need to try to rest more before the practice if possible so you are not tired. And maybe you need a better playing style, where you try to use your strengths more. So you play better at matchplay.

I can not play the clip, it says that it is not available. Maybe you can try to copy the link.

Sometimes i feel mentally tired, if that makes sense. My mental fuel runs out pretty quickly.

Ok, you can try now, the video was set as private.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Maybe you can take a little bit more time between each points. It helps to focus and remember that the point is important. Here i just mean to not go through the motion and let a few points go by

Also personally i see a big difference when i take the time to be clear on what will be my serve and third ball. Maybe it'll be different but at least i'm focused

Last thing, an article from Larry Hodges on 'thinking circle' : http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2454
He says to analyse what just happened, breath and remind your tactics

Reactions: ahammedislam
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree with the above that you seem to play pretty fast between the points. You will have a hard time to have the time to think through what you want with the serve and return. You always need to think why do things when you play.

I also think you miss quite alot and maybe should play a little easier so you get the balls on the table.

If you loose a lot of points in a row or start doing that it might be a good idea to try to take a longer break or try to take a timeout. And also try to change how you play. If you loose, you need to change something.

Do you consider the matches to be important? maybe you play to many of them so they are not so important to you anymore, since you do not have the right mentality.

One of my old coaches thought that you should play without emotion, and not think about the points. By doing so you get nervous and play not as good. He said that it was better just focus on the shots and try to do them as good as possible. Maybe you can try that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This video is cut between points. I always take time to breath and try to focus but sometimes my judgment is so clouded that is just make bad decisions. It's funny because my coach says that when i think too much is just mess up.

I consider the matches to be important of course, and i want to win. This is a team competition, we play once a week, and most of the times i play as nº1, so there is extra pressure for me to win. Maybe that affects me sub conscientiously? I have been out of the game for five years and only played 7 games so far, maybe i need more time?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
This video is cut between points. I always take time to breath and try to focus but sometimes my judgment is so clouded that is just make bad decisions. It's funny because my coach says that when i think too much is just mess up.

I consider the matches to be important of course, and i want to win. This is a team competition, we play once a week, and most of the times i play as nº1, so there is extra pressure for me to win. Maybe that affects me sub conscientiously? I have been out of the game for five years and only played 7 games so far, maybe i need more time?

I think your coach is wrong. How does he motivate this? I think you can never think to much about the tactics, maybe think to much about the technique.

Yeah, it will proably be easier!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I think your coach is wrong. How does he motivate this? I think you can never think to much about the tactics, maybe think to much about the technique.

Yeah, it will proably be easier!

I also think he is wrong. He based it on the last game, but i was just having a bad day. I just couldn't get out of that negative headspace and assume a positive attitude.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
1. Do not be afraid to lose but when you loose learn from your mistakes.
2. Go and play in different clubs with people you do not know and learn ro adjust and apply your game.

It doesn't work like that over here. We don't have clubs, we have teams and different leagues and divisions. The only chance i get to play different people is during league matches, or tournaments, which we don't have many.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I try to do that, but even in practice matches i sometimes struggle to find concentration and the will to win. I don't know why that happens, sometimes there are external factors like too much noise (the volleyball kids train right next to us), or i just feel tired, but sometimes i was actually having a good practice session but then play like crap.

Here is an example of my first league match this season. I was still struggling with the FH because of the chinese rubber, now it's better but it serves as an example of how i was up by 7-3 and manage to loose the set by doing stupid mistakes. I'm the guy in red.

I think you have the same problem as me, about motivation and timing, several points were to you hard to finish because you waited too much to hit/loop it, about motivation try to not get stress, take it easy, breath and get ready for every ball trying to anticipate the place. I still have the issue like you, I mean, I win 11-3 but next match lost 4-11 strange, other thing you have to pay attention try to find the weakness, that makes you get stronger and smash psychologically to other player. My humble opinion.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I think you have the same problem as me, about motivation and timing, several points were to you hard to finish because you waited too much to hit/loop it, about motivation try to not get stress, take it easy, breath and get ready for every ball trying to anticipate the place. I still have the issue like you, I mean, I win 11-3 but next match lost 4-11 strange, other thing you have to pay attention try to find the weakness, that makes you get stronger and smash psychologically to other player. My humble opinion.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Thanks for your input!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I'm not sure you lost because of your mentality. I think you played positively and did a few nice shots at the end, notably some difficult BH

However, you made too many mistakes, unforced errors especially on FH opener. Maybe you should consider trying to play more safely. a slower opening loop, but put in on the table. It is a mistake to put too much power systematically in the 3rd ball attack, or - worse- to look for a winner immediately.

You should have in your arsenal more serve+3rd attack combos. It looks like your serve is not tight enough or with enough spin, to guarantee with a higher probability a return where you expect it. I thought your timing for the topspin was a bit late, under the table which makes it more difficult to attack when near the table (which is the case of 3rd ball attack)

I thought your receive were a bit too long and passive as well.

In this particular video example, i would argue you didn't lose because of lack of focus or mental problem, but because of technical problem.

----

More generally, i'm fighting as well hard to improve the mental aspect of the game. I think i've improved here. First of all, i had to recognize its an important aspect of the game, which needs training as well. Like you work on your FH with drills, you train mentally when training, by learning to focus 100% of the time, even when drilling, blocking for your friend, playing a match against any player, even someone of a much lesser level. You can also learn relaxing techniques, take a deep breath from time to time, or relaxing a tense muscle; Also learn to always think positive, even when you miss a shot or you're down a lot. Never let anger or despair take the better of you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I'm not sure you lost because of your mentality. I think you played positively and did a few nice shots at the end, notably some difficult BH

However, you made too many mistakes, unforced errors especially on FH opener. Maybe you should consider trying to play more safely. a slower opening loop, but put in on the table. It is a mistake to put too much power systematically in the 3rd ball attack, or - worse- to look for a winner immediately.

You should have in your arsenal more serve+3rd attack combos. It looks like your serve is not tight enough or with enough spin, to guarantee with a higher probability a return where you expect it. I thought your timing for the topspin was a bit late, under the table which makes it more difficult to attack when near the table (which is the case of 3rd ball attack)

I thought your receive were a bit too long and passive as well.

In this particular video example, i would argue you didn't lose because of lack of focus or mental problem, but because of technical problem.

----

More generally, i'm fighting as well hard to improve the mental aspect of the game. I think i've improved here. First of all, i had to recognize its an important aspect of the game, which needs training as well. Like you work on your FH with drills, you train mentally when training, by learning to focus 100% of the time, even when drilling, blocking for your friend, playing a match against any player, even someone of a much lesser level. You can also learn relaxing techniques, take a deep breath from time to time, or relaxing a tense muscle; Also learn to always think positive, even when you miss a shot or you're down a lot. Never let anger or despair take the better of you.

I agree with everything you say regarding technique. The thing is, i usually do just that in training. In games, i fluctuate between playing with way too much power or being very passive. I really feel that the mental game is lacking and i'm not able to manage my emotions well. It might not seem like it, but i wasn't with a clear head in this game. As an example, my coach hinted me to serve short to the FH, i understood, then served long to the BH lol

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Mmm, in a way i find what you describe to be normal. Maybe you feel like your opponents don't have the same things but actually everybody have these issues, more or less :)

But indeed you can work on it. Personally my two favorite books on the subject are :

More general : The Inner Game of Tennis : The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance (W. Timothy Gallwey)
More concret : 10-Minute Toughness :The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins (Jason Selk)

I also agree with Takkyu_wa_inochi when he says you can integrate the mental training into your drills

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Mmm, in a way i find what you describe to be normal. Maybe you feel like your opponents don't have the same things but actually everybody have these issues, more or less :)

But indeed you can work on it. Personally my two favorite books on the subject are :

More general : The Inner Game of Tennis : The Classic Guide to the Mental Side of Peak Performance (W. Timothy Gallwey)
More concret : 10-Minute Toughness :The Mental Training Program for Winning Before the Game Begins (Jason Selk)

I also agree with Takkyu_wa_inochi when he says you can integrate the mental training into your drills

Yes i know most of us suffer from this, almost everyone plays better in training than in real matches. But in my case it seems to be worst, even my coach says i must be bipolar :p

Anyway, i will have a look into those, and really appreciate all of the suggestions.