Which kind of service is best for return to my back hand position???

This user has no status.
Dear mentor's

I like to flick, flick hard near back hand side with little height with chop or push but don't like drive return either in fore hand or back hand. I can hit bàck hand flick near the middle to left side all area , don't like opponent's will return to fore hand side, like to opponent will push near my back hand side with little height of the ball is more expected.

Now please give your opinion which type of service or return push I need to do to force my opponent to send it back to my back hand side.

Thanks

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Triple haha... move to the FH to play an aggressive BH... triple haha so conventional… sounds like a winning tactic for everyone... but then again, I have played against some players skilled at setting up and executing this very shot... consistently. Took me to late 3rd game to figure out where their middle was.

I agree with tropical in that learning how to bend knees right at opponent's impact and have decisiveness to use FH and do the needed movement to get into position is very much worth pursuing as a strategic goal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Are your best shot the backhand? are you a backhand player? or why do you want the ball to the backhand?

I agree with everyone above that a sidespin serve to their backhand will proably make the ball go to the backhand. But i think that if your best shot is the backhand you should try almost try turn everything around from the conventional thinking.

Try to serve more from the middle, or even forehand with your forehand serve so you can attack with your backhand. Or serve alot of backhandserve from the forehand corner. So you can open with your backhand.

I also advice you to try to return alot to their backhand and try to play them alot in backhand backhand. If you win there, you are better in backhand backhand and should keep playing there. I also think the banana flip on return will suit your style of play if you are an backhand player.

Maybe i totally misunderstood the question, i had a hard time understanding it.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Lula's suggest to move to middle of table to play higher percentage of BH strong is classic advice.

Eventually, an opponent will see the BH tendencies and figure out where is the middle... then get opponent over-commited and wreck their BH attempts.

Of course moving the position moves the target of the middle and it is tough to play vs a very mobile changing opponent.

There is a balance and art to decision making of BH vs FH and the FH to BH or BH to FH transition. This is a tough thing for many developing players.

Having a good knee bend at opponent's impact is prolly the best nugget I could give anyone to decide the BH or FH... it allows you to be able to move to do the FH if the ball is right to do the FH.

How many times have we been too upright at opponent's impact, then decide to play a shot where we were not well suited to move to the proper position?

I often find that people over compensate for sidespin so pendulums go to fh side. Doing reverse pendulum/shovel starting from middle of the table is my preferred method. This was the main service and attack style of Wang Hao. Also, Kong lingui often served bh from the middle of the table, then opened with bh loop. Watch how effective this is in Olympic finals 2000! Most importantly though is mixing it up and purposefully! Too many times I just throw random serves out without any inclination how it will be returned!