Ding Ning voted best shot of 2011

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
We have the official shot of 2011 according to the poll conducted by TableTennisDaily.

voteding.jpg

150 nominations have been made since 18th December 2011 with two shots in particular that rotated on poll position on a daily basis. On the 1st January 2012 the poll was closed by the TableTennisDaily Team and it is time to announce the winner!

---Ding Ning---

dingning1.jpg

Photo by: www2.chinadaily.com.cn/

Watch Ding Ning's shot of the year here:

World Champion of 2011 Ding Ning won TableTennisDaily's poll to find out which shot was the best in the year of 2011. China's Ding Ning has been voted 31 times by the TableTennisDaily members which crowned her the best shot of 2011. Coming in second just behind Ding Ning on the TTD poll was Vladimir Samsonov's passing backhand shot against Chen Qi which had an impressive 29 votes.

Closely behind Vladimir was Brazil's Cazuo with 24 votes with his epic behind the back shot.

Thanks for everyone who participated in the voting, our video has now reached a staggering 820.000 views and counting.

Happy New Year!

Lets hope 2012 has many more incredible table tennis shots and memorable matches!​

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Samsonov really closed the gap in the end, during the first couple days Ding Ning was really far ahead of the rest.
What I liked a lot about her shot was the crowd's reaction. I was there in Rotterdam and when she played it, everyone was like "Huh, what happened?" so everyone directly looked at the big screens for the replay and then the whole crowd said "Whoaaahh". :p Even the umpire didn't realise it in time.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah, what I was going to ask, someone else pointed this out, in the side view, the umpire has the wrong call giving the point to Ding Ning's opponents. Did they get it right in the end? Is that on Video? I would like to see the full thing where you see the confusion and then the umpire gets the call right in the end.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't see how this is better than Pierre Luc's shot in any way, less of a dive, and less cool of a result

I think there are a lot of amazing shots. That video had 10. We could probably find hundreds more. Ding Ning's shot is sort of like the motion of a pendulum serve so she got that wacky spin on it that made it go back over the net. Since the term "best" refers to something that is subjective there is not such thing as a real, quantifiable, best shot. But, Ding Ning's shot won the award of best shot of the year from the poll conducted at Table Tennis Daily. It is a lovely shot, creative and she had to respond to the ball hitting the net.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Review Moderator
Jul 2011
Read 7 reviews
Yeah, what I was going to ask, someone else pointed this out, in the side view, the umpire has the wrong call giving the point to Ding Ning's opponents. Did they get it right in the end? Is that on Video? I would like to see the full thing where you see the confusion and then the umpire gets the call right in the end.

Well there's not really that much fuss around it, but in this vid you can see that first the umpire gave the point to the wrong side, then the score at the bottom went to 1-1, and during the replay you can hear him saying it right: 0-2.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
When I saw the topic I thought that Ding Ning had actually given her vote about the years best shot in some interview...
So I was kinda disappointed when I read further on the message ;)