Should we keep the same outer layer for all our blades ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hello,

On a video on Xiom Ice cream blade the guy explains the difference between limba outer layer and koto outer layer

Then he says that if we use to play with limba outer, we should keep using this kind of outer layer as our technic have adapted to this kind of feeling/shot

Do you agree ? Does the impact is this strong ? And then i'm also wondering which wood could be considered as belonging to the same category (like which wood belong to the limba category and which wood belong to the koto category)

He talks about it at 4mn20 and after :

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
I "grew up" on a frame with (I think) Walnut outers, the vintage Stiga Offensive Wood. When I returned to the game, I got me a Stiga Offensive Classic - which has Limba outers.

It didn't work for me. I've tried a number of Limba blades, and all of them felt muffled and numb to me. I've since played happily with Koto and Anegre blades, both all-wood and composites (2nd or 3rd ply). I've also tried Hinoki outers, which felt good but didn't click for me. These experiments have turned out a few common denominators of the blades I liked the most.

• All blades I really liked had Koto or Anegre outers
  • Under 5.8mm (or so) it gets too thin and wobbly for my taste; slightly over 6mm seems to be where my optimum tradeoff lies
  • Mass-produced walnut seems to be sort of MIA, gone out of style?
  • I tended to prefer blades with a Kiri core, although I did like a few with Ayous core woods
  • I liked the blades with ALC next to their core
  • I heavily dislike Balsa cores
  • Composites directly below the outer probably too hot to handle for me
  • I don't understenand how (or why) anybody can play with a 2nd ZLC layer
  • Weight distribution matters a lot

All strictly personal, of course; YMMV.

Last edited:
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
I switched from playing Limba outer blade (Donic Waldner Senso Ultra Carbon) to Koto outer layer blade some 2 years ago. Surely, there is a learning curve involved as I remember correctly. My shots with Koto outer layer blades used to go to the net quite frequently in the earlier part of my adaptation.
However, I think that this video which OP mentioned is part of the advertising and marketing campaign and should be considered as such. I don't that it is difficult to adapt to a setup provided you have good technique and you keep on focusing on the process of learning and adaptability.
In the end, I am now very pleased with my choice of setup and also very hesitant to try something new as well, not because I cannot adapt, on the contrary, I feel that it is not worth the effort to keep adjusting my stroke again and again. Rather, I will put the same amount of money in coaching lessons with my coach and hone my skills even more. That IMHO, would be a more rewarding and satisfactory experience.

Reactions: Ioiettino