Flexible outer layer (e.g. Limba, Spruce) manditory for Chinese technique?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys
I snap up Chinese technique (long swing) needs some flexible wood type as outer layer instead of smth stiff like Koto or wulnut.
I wonder why pro's like fzd use Viscaria?

I think for Chinese technique, limba is not manditory, but sticky rubber like Hurricane or skyline is manditory.

Hi guys
I snap up Chinese technique (long swing) needs some flexible wood type as outer layer instead of smth stiff like Koto or wulnut.

This user has no status.
Hi guys

I have heard such statements before. They are nonsense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi guys

i really think the.overall stiffness matters, i have n 301 and viscaria in my hands and they both use koto as outer layer, but n301 is noticable softer if not slower

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
i really think the.overall stiffness matters, i have n 301 and viscaria in my hands and they both use koto as outer layer, but n301 is noticable softer if not slower
can you compare the handle of viscaria and H301 or PG5 blade. I had a PG5 but it's handle is not really good for my BH. And i heard from some people that the handle of viscaria is very good for BH, and i want to try. Tks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
can you compare the handle of viscaria and H301 or PG5 blade. I had a PG5 but it's handle is not really good for my BH. And i heard from some people that the handle of viscaria is very good for BH, and i want to try. Tks.

good point! i found out that this problem as well, dhs blades are quiet similar to stiga master handles, but viscaria has a narrow handle with tight shoulder, which are unique and allows u to hold closer to the racket.

Reactions: M.Hoang
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
good point! i found out that this problem as well, dhs blades are quiet similar to stiga master handles, but viscaria has a narrow handle with tight shoulder, which are unique and allows u to hold closer to the racket.

viscaria are good for fh and bh transition. but if u get used to one shape, it should not be a problem

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

be noticed viscaria are quiet harder than my n301, with takes some time to get used to

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
tks for your answer. so, DHS and stiga handle is smaller than viscaria? I am using sanwei fextra blade, after giving up PG5. All things is very good, but the handle of fextra is a litter bit fat for me, and i want to find another blade that has a thicker handle to PG5 but a bit smaller than sanwei. =)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hey guys
Thanks for the reply, even tho the most are off-topic with Viscaria and Stiga.
I am still unsure if I should stay with limba or try out other thinks. I used a short time ma Lin offensive and disliked the quick release of the ball from the raquet. What about carbon as outer or inner layer? Will this destroy the "extra time release effect significantly"?

Reactions: M.Hoang

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Hey guys
Thanks for the reply, even tho the most are off-topic with Viscaria and Stiga.
I am still unsure if I should stay with limba or try out other thinks. I used a short time ma Lin offensive and disliked the quick release of the ball from the raquet. What about carbon as outer or inner layer? Will this destroy the "extra time release effect significantly"?

My answer is: the only way to find if softer outer (e.g. Limba or Hinoki) or harder outer (e.g. Koto) suites you is to buy some blade and play with it at least 20h. This can be typically done in between seasons (if you have 2x2h trainings per week then one month is already good time to find out). There are many people who like one and not the other but as both groups are big you will get suggestions which suite their game not yours. And it's not about the game style and stroke technique only, it's also very much about the feel and that's nothing you can find in our advice.

I did the same, tried two blades with Limba and two blades with Koto and Aniger, the outcome was clear: I need softer feel for my topspin, especially from the BH. It cost me some money but it was worth it. And you can get decent blades with pretty much any composition of wood and artificial layers from Aliexpress starting at ~20USD (actually less but in the range of 20~30USD you will get better quality which is usually on par with most of Eur/Jp brands)

Then if inner or outer carbon/arylate layer makes your game better is another step. Outer ply mostly makes the "dwell time" perception while layers below are giving speed/power and also how much the whole blade flex and damps or holds vibrations. Again you can get decent blade in price range of 20~30 USD so give it a go. My outcome is that unless I will get much more time for practice (like at least 3x2h a week and with sparing on my or higher level) I will probably be fine with 5 or 7 ply wooden blades forever. EJ virus will keep striking back so I guess I will buy some more blades for experiments but I wouldn't be surprised if this conclusion stands. Most of players who are below 1700 elo in Europe or 1800 elo in USATT are probably the same case.

Btw. there is one more view to this: people who are playing on professional or semi-professional level says that change of the blade isn't the problem, if you have certain foundation and you train properly you will get used to many things. However that takes time in order of months. Testing blade or rubber during one training (like Dan and others are doing in their reviews on youtube) is one thing but really finding what it gives to you and what performance you can achieve with it is totally different. That's why most of serious players don't get EJ strikes very often and if they really switch the blade it's 3-4 times per career (which takes like 20 years and longer). So many couches recommend to maybe experiment in some period but then simply choose and stick with your equipment for years and rather work on your agility and technique to make perfect combination with it. And for people who don't have time and money (and maybe even skills and expertise) to experiment simply stick with the best thing they used so far. there are many high ranking players who are playing with 20-y-o material, they survived all the changes in ball size and speed glue ban and they just go on. In my low division many players still use Sriver rubbers and they are able to serve and spin incredibly. I have no idea how they accommodated to new balls and maybe they still use speed glue (no one will check on this level) but it tells me that maybe equipment and hours I spend reading forums like this isn't the important part of TT;)

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I like limba, but I also like koto outer for chinese rubber, if the blade has some flex at least for me it's ok. Koto gives a nice click. Great part of chinese players used Koto - Spruce - Ayous - Spruce - Koto combination(AVX P500, BTY Kong Linghui, Stiga Offensive Classic(old version)), so already in that times they liked koto outer!