Viscaria vs long 5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

I am forehand dominant player who likes to loop kill 3rd balls with forehand.I want to put hurricane 3 national 39 degree orange sponge on my forehand.I think anything over 39 degrees for hurricane 3 will be more than I need.But for my playing style which blade should I choose viscaria or long 5? Your suggestions will be very helpful as I am new to the forum.Please help me out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Thanks for you reply.Will Long 5 provide more spin and dwell time as compared to viscaria as it is softer?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
They are both inner-fiber ALC blades, with limba outer. The only difference in structure(other than the thickness of each layer and the gluing process) is that under limba IFalc has limba, and HL5 ayous.

I haven't used HL5, but have played innerforce alc for quite a while. It was a nice blade, good feeling (not like an all-wood blade, as others may claim on revspin etc, but better than most Carbon blades) , speed was off, not too fast, but surely not slow, and I could control it easy.

The only problems I had were the flicks over the table, where sometimes the blade "kicked" the ball far away (my technique is not perfect, but I don't have such problems with the blade I'm using currently), it was a little bit unpredictable, sometimes the ball was going straight forward if my contact wasn't good enough and lastly it felt dead from far away of the table.

Take into account that the problem behind these is mostly my technique, so I keep the blade in order to give it another try when I improve enough.
All in all, I would surely recommend it to anyone, but at the moment I prefer my all-wood blade.

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 4 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
In the most recent semifinals 3 out of 4 players used viscaria and hurricane rubbers.
Among women, also, most use Viscaria. Cheng Meng uses something else but the rest is mostly Viscaria. Liu Shiwen etc.

Viscaria is much more prevalent among Hurricane users than any other blade.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
In the most recent semifinals 3 out of 4 players used viscaria and hurricane rubbers.
Among women, also, most use Viscaria. Cheng Meng uses something else but the rest is mostly Viscaria. Liu Shiwen etc.

Viscaria is much more prevalent among Hurricane users than any other blade.

I'm not sure which blade Liu Shiwen uses, but who else uses Viscaria?
Zhu Yuling swaps between Stiga and DHS. Ding Ning uses Stiga. Wang Manyu uses DHS. IIRC Liu Shiwen uses some custom made, and Chen Meng Butterfly Innerforce with ZLF. Could you back up your claims somehow?

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Zhu Yuling swaps between Stiga and DHS. Ding Ning uses Stiga. Wang Manyu uses DHS. IIRC Liu Shiwen uses some custom made, and Chen Meng Butterfly Innerforce with ZLF. Could you back up your claims somehow?

At least Cheng Meng has a Carbonado 45 handle some time ago, and maybe it's really Carbonado 45, as Liu Shiwen and Zhu Yuling used both Carbonado 45 before.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews

My claims are self evident, they need no 'backing up'.
3 out of the 4 finalists use viscaria, and the one who didn't is xu-xin so it isn't even a comparison really.

Problem is that you're wrong on most of yours.
Wang manyu uses Viscaria so I dunno wtf you're talking about.
Liu Shiwen uses Viscaria Look at recent matches. She used LSW ZLF for like a year or something and returned to her viscaria.

In the question of DHS vs Viscaria with Hurricane rubbers, Viscaria wins hands down if you go by the top players.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
My claims are self evident, they need no 'backing up'.
3 out of the 4 finalists use viscaria, and the one who didn't is xu-xin so it isn't even a comparison really.

Problem is that you're wrong on most of yours.
Wang manyu uses Viscaria so I dunno wtf you're talking about.
Liu Shiwen uses Viscaria Look at recent matches. She used LSW ZLF for like a year or something and returned to her viscaria.

I just saw Wang Manyu used Viscaria today, so you might be right on that one; tho she used DHS before. Liu Shiwen I'm not sure of, but IIRC she uses DHS.

You said "rest is mostly Viscaria", which else?
Sun Yingsa Stiga, Ding Ning Stiga, Zhu Yuling Stiga/DHS, Chen Meng Stiga.

Edit: I'm not talking about men, I'm talking about women; you said most women do use Viscaria aswell.

Last edited:
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
I just saw Wang Manyu used Viscaria today, so you might be right on that one; tho she used DHS before. Liu Shiwen I'm not sure of, but IIRC she uses DHS.

You said "rest is mostly Viscaria", which else?
Sun Yingsa Stiga, Ding Ning Stiga, Zhu Yuling Stiga/DHS, Chen Meng Stiga.

Edit: I'm not talking about men, I'm talking about women; you said most women do use Viscaria aswell.

I'm not restricting myself like that. What's the point.
The OP asked a question, I took a quick mental count of absolute pros who use Hurricane rubber, to see if they use Viscaria or DHS National blade (other blades are beyond the scope of the OP question).

The huge majority use Viscaria. So I'm guessing they would say Viscaria is better.

So that is to answer the OP. It's not an opinion I formulated based on personal experience. It's just an observation of the choices of the pros (overwhelmingly too) and a deduction from that.
If you want to go over only women from the last tournament, then already u have more viscaria users than DHS users, but it doesn't really matter.

Now, you could say, "alright but maybe it's not really best, but they've grown so used to it over many years of constant practice that for them it's perfect, like they use 10 year old Tenergy rubbers when perhaps there's something better etc", which is an argument, but I have no idea about that. I haven't interviewed them all.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

Thanks for you answers.I was wondering in order to compensate for the loss of speed with hurricane 3 can i use a very fast carbon blade like donic ovtcharov carbospeed?The blade will provide the necessary speed and the hurricane can help with spin.Moreover carbospeed has an hinoki outer ply so the dwell time would be good too.What do you guys think?Your thoughts and opinions would be great.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Even pros don't use overly fast blades. So no, I would not suggest it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Personally, I like Long 5 better than Viscaria. Not saying I don't like Viscaria, I bought two of those for use at work and at home so I don't need to bring it with me everyday, but after a while I started looking for new blades (again). The main problem is the trajectory is a bit too flat for my taste, and to me that means the dwell time is too short. So I got myself a Stiga Nostalgic Offensive, and I really liked it a lot. The only problem is that the speed when hitting the ball with full force is on the slower side. Now it happens that a friend of mine just ditched his Timo Boll ALC, which is basically a re-branded Viscaria, got a Long 5, so I tried it a few times, and I'd say it is a happy medium between the Viscaria and Stiga Nostalgic Offensive, good trajectory due to the longer dwell time, but also has the speed I want when hitting it hard. One thing to note is that Long 5 has a thinner handle than Viscaria, so if you are like me with bigger hands it might feel a bit off, but you can always fix that with some grip tape.

Reactions: nazarit