Finger pressure

This user has no status.
I am working on improving my grip by using a more standard and "proper" Chinese grip that Ma Long uses.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with BH topspins because I'm not too sure what fingers should be trying to BRUSH/SPIN and feel the ball. Is the thumb supposed to be doing the majority of the spinning and feeling of the ball? Should the side of the thumb be used to apply pressure or the fingertip of the thumb? Does the index finger just add stability to the stroke or does the index finger help brush and feel the ball?

Also on BH pushes, does the thumb also come up high on the rubber to feel and brush the ball?

Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am working on improving my grip by using a more standard and "proper" Chinese grip that Ma Long uses.

Anyways, I'm having trouble with BH topspins because I'm not too sure what fingers should be trying to BRUSH/SPIN and feel the ball. Is the thumb supposed to be doing the majority of the spinning and feeling of the ball? Should the side of the thumb be used to apply pressure or the fingertip of the thumb? Does the index finger just add stability to the stroke or does the index finger help brush and feel the ball?

Also on BH pushes, does the thumb also come up high on the rubber to feel and brush the ball?

Thanks.

There are many grips that work. The main thing is that it works for you and you feel comfortable transitioning into the grip when you want to play a backhand. Ma Long does a major grip change to play his backhand as do Timo Boll and Dima Ovtcharov. I don't put my thumb on the rubber but those players all do.

The stroke comes from the plane of motion of the blade. If you do the stroke better with your thumb on the blade, then do it. If not, don't.

Reactions: toekneema
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think it is more important for your spin production if you focus on accelerating with the forearm and wrist than focus on the pressure of the finger. I Do think pressure with the thumb can add stability and make it is easier to be relaxed in the arm But still be able to swing the racket fast without throwing the racket away. Where you put pressure with the tumb i think is less important, if it is on the handle or the rubber. Personally i feel it is better to put pressure on the handle. I feel that players that put the tumb up high often push the ball more forward and Do not swing with the forearm. I also think this Maybe suit the backhand over the table better than a bigger backhand stroke, since i feel that the ones that to Do it, like dima and the chinese play fast close to the table and do not use so much for killing the ball But more for srtting up the forehand. I think you can look at players that use backhand more as their Main weapon and i think many Do not put up the thumb so obviously. But where you put thumb pressure is proably personal preference like next level Said. Worth considering is it takes time to take the thumb up and down. I think it is important to not to tense to much when you put pressure with he thumb. It seems that det echte talk about pressure with the fingers alot. Maybe he can help you.

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Grip pressure is a very important thing, in serving and in shots.
Altering your grip even slightly will make a huge difference in shots and spin and comfort of backhand and forehand.

Try everything I guess. But I really support the idea of first getting used to the most 'correct' neutral grip, where no finger climbs up to the rubber. Just so as to have a good frame of reference. From there you can figure things out best.

For me, for example, it's the little finger that applies pressure in the forehand topspins. You never know :>