PDA

View Full Version : Question about balls we get and pros get?

729B2
01-30-2019, 03:17 PM
i saw along time ago in the australian open the d40 balls with the print the red paddle on it and the normal one without it
after feeling them they seem to be different and the white is also different.
Do pros have different balls to us like rubbers? or am i just looking into it too much?
im happy with the d40+ i just curious

Airoc
01-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Do pros have different balls to us like rubbers?

No.

or am i just looking into it too much?

yes

mart1nandersson
01-30-2019, 03:51 PM
I know some kids that worked at the Swedish Open who managed to grab a few. I played with one for about 10 minutes and I couldn’t tell the difference between that one and a normal D40+. I guess that it’s just a marketing stunt.

Loopadoop
01-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Probably only difference is the emblem and quality control for selection.

FruitLoop
01-30-2019, 04:41 PM
They are the same, except maybe they spend more time choosing the roundest ones before playing.

Tony's Table Tennis
01-30-2019, 04:46 PM
No differences

I do know for certain tournament, they will "print" something special, but the ball is your standard 3 star 40+ selection.
and a fresh batch

From there, the tournament guys will do they own roundness test and filter them
then the players will pick the balls they want for the match

mart1nandersson
01-30-2019, 04:51 PM

I wonder if this is still the case with the new system where the umpire will throw them a new ball as soon as it goes out of play? It must mean that players will select >20 balls which seems a bit tedious.

Not questioning your statement it's just that I've been wondering if this has changed with the new system.

Tony's Table Tennis
01-30-2019, 05:03 PM
I wonder if this is still the case with the new system where the umpire will throw them a new ball as soon as it goes out of play? It must mean that players will select >20 balls which seems a bit tedious.

Not questioning your statement it's just that I've been wondering if this has changed with the new system.

yes, the players does select a lot of balls.
in fact this part of the match is very crucial

I've seen Dima spending a good 10-15 mins choosing balls.
And that was just for a "fun" tournament

mart1nandersson
01-30-2019, 08:17 PM
Great stuff. I thought that they had given up on that after they introduced the system where new balls are being thrown in to speed up the game.

Do both players have the accept the same ball? Or do they get to select X balls each?

whocarez
01-30-2019, 09:21 PM
From there, the tournament guys will do they own roundness test and filter them

I think I saw this being done in one of Dan's vlogs. It may have been from The Swedish Open. Looked like they were going through quite an impressive amount of balls.

ILoveTT
01-31-2019, 04:47 AM
I think I saw this being done in one of Dan's vlogs. It may have been from The Swedish Open. Looked like they were going through quite an impressive amount of balls.

I saw Xu Xin choosing a lot of balls in Dans vlog to. The red print is the World Tour logo on them.

Tony's Table Tennis
01-31-2019, 04:56 AM
This is a fun tournament hosted by my friends (invitational fun tournament)

in the video it shows Persson and JSH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuBsFhCHPSg

both players confirms the ball.

In normal ITTF world tours, this scene is closed doors - you won't get too much videos out of it

zeio
01-31-2019, 07:49 AM
There are quite a few videos of "ball culling" by the players at the World Tour.

I find it very intriguing that men and women spin the balls in different ways.

Mytoman
01-31-2019, 10:03 AM
Normally 10 each (20 in total) from a box of approx 50.
It is a good idea to separate the balls in "new", "selected" and "not selected", making it a bit easier.
20 is just enough..., a bit scary from 10-10... But the ballkids are great, and are quick to fill up the box during intervals.

(It is the same system with 20 balls in the swedish league)

FruitLoop
01-31-2019, 11:31 AM
The pros are sensitive to this roundness. Me, I think I have found exactly one non round ball of the premium ones.

Boogar
01-31-2019, 12:09 PM
I rarely see a "round" ball around... and if they are, they get less and less round after some playing :(

Lightzy
01-31-2019, 12:12 PM
I've seen Dima spending a good 10-15 mins choosing balls.
And that was just for a "fun" tournament

He takes his time selecting the best tasting balls

FruitLoop
01-31-2019, 12:50 PM
I rarely see a "round" ball around... and if they are, they get less and less round after some playing :(

Sure you aren't a flat-ball conspiracist?

Boogar
01-31-2019, 01:12 PM
Sure you aren't a flat-ball conspiracist?

Hahah good one!