Using multiple set-ups?

says Footwork footwork footwork
Hello TTDers,

I was wondering what everyone thought about using multiple/different bats/rubbers in training to teach yourself various strokes or adjustments depending on your equipment.

I’ve heard basically two camps:

1. Stick with the same equipment and learn the ins and outs of it (especially directly before competition). This is the best way to improve your table tennis and strokes in general.

2. Use various set-ups and you’ll improve your strokes no matter your equipment. Your brain will essentially learn how to micro adjust to any ball regardless of your equipment. This will improve you as a table tennis player overall.

Now, one of the camps I know will have overwhelming support, but I’ve heard both cases from different coaches.

I couldn’t find any discussions on this yet, so I wonder what the TTD world thinks!?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I *think* there are two different things in here (at least...).

Trying out equipment to get a feel for what is out there and how it suits your game is one aspect of it, and I find it useful. It allows me to calibrate information I find on the Internet, be it from manufacturers or forum members, and see ho it applies to ME.

Constantly changing setups you use for matches and competition is probably not as useful IMHO, since you never get to master one. In theory it might work to make your brain super flexible and what not, but in practice it seems just to settle in mediocrity. For the extreme case of such adjustment, I keep telling myself that I should learn how to twiddle with LP, but it's tough as hell, strokes are too different.

Reactions: alas26 and Sedis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
number 1 for sure.

I sometimes play with friends rackets just for fun, just a few balls or a game. Often they have some kind of pimple rubber or china rubber. I think this may be good for your feeling and that you learn how other kind of rubbers work.

Hello TTDers,

I was wondering what everyone thought about using multiple/different bats/rubbers in training to teach yourself various strokes or adjustments depending on your equipment.

I’ve heard basically two camps:

1. Stick with the same equipment and learn the ins and outs of it (especially directly before competition). This is the best way to improve your table tennis and strokes in general.

2. Use various set-ups and you’ll improve your strokes no matter your equipment. Your brain will essentially learn how to micro adjust to any ball regardless of your equipment. This will improve you as a table tennis player overall.

Now, one of the camps I know will have overwhelming support, but I’ve heard both cases from different coaches.

I couldn’t find any discussions on this yet, so I wonder what the TTD world thinks!?

Thanks

I'm one who uses several setups in training, not always, lets say every 4th session. There was a time I used it more often. And with time the reasons I use it differs. Generally I agree that its helpfull but not for everyone. I've shared here many times how and why I use it. The problem with this kind of training is not whether it will be critisized or not, but how you would feel with it and the more important - will you be able to formulate and build the bench of setups appropriate for what you are aiming. If you have some experience and feel what you need and how to achieve it, you may do. If no, its better to find a coach who is good with this.

Reactions: alas26
says Footwork footwork footwork
You are right, my bad. As far as training, I remember someone suggesting to use hardbat to fix one specific flaw of a normal(smooth rubber) FH stroke. I suspect that's not what OP had in mind either, though. :D

Well, actually, I wasn’t really ruling this out as I think about it quite often because my attacking shots seem to predominately be “brushy” or loopy when I actually need to focus on developing my drive or loop-drives. So, at work, I sometimes play with a paddle that has hardly any grip which then forces me to open my angle more and hit flatter.

I’m not sure if this helps or hurts my development...

I’m sort-of between camps at this point but leaning towards camp 1 at later stages of development. I feel, as mentioned earlier, that in the beginning stages of developing strokes it may be helpful to use a range of various set-ups to ignite that brain activity to get you to adjust, but once you figure out your playing style (or desired playing style), it’s best to stick to “your” set-up and fine tune from there after you’re an advanced beginner to intermediate player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk