XIOM VEGA PRO issue

This user has no status.
Hi there, I'm new here and would like to know your opinions about this issue:
My main setup is a Stiga Infinity blade with Razka 7 on fh and Bluefiere M2 on bh. Love it! I read good reviews about the Sanwei Fextra blade so I recently bought one and glued fresh Xiom Vega Pro (red, fh) and Vega Europe (black, bh) rubbers on it. I went today to a training session to release the blade and after one hour of training I saw some red bits on the table and found out the red Xiom rubber started to break on the edge. I never had such and issue with a new rubber so far, so I'm really surprised. Have any of you ever had a similar problem? I'm perplexed :eek:
Black rubber is ok for now...

IMG_20190212_201240_HHT.jpgIMG_20190212_201204.jpg

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Sure u didn't bang it a bit on the side of the table or something? All the fraying is on the 'banging on the table' side

Reactions: NextLevel
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I would recommend not so dull sheers and LICK the rubber on the edge before cutting... it will make the cuts cleaner... oh and use very short cuts very deep near bottom of sheers... it will make a huge difference.

I have been there, done that, and gotten the free T-Shirt prize many a time cutting rubbers wrong and some got like yours quickly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
One really good tip when cutting rubbers that I picked up from this forum is to dip the knife blade in oil and then wiping it off so you only have a tiny bit of oil left on the knife blade. Works like a charm even on extremely brittle rubbers like Rozena.

This user has no status.
I first thought about the possibility of having purchased a defective rubber, like a rubber which has been stored a long time under different temperature conditions, even it was sealed in its factory plastic cover. That's mainly why I asked for your experiences, if someone had a similar issue. But it's fine, although I was convinced that I had cut properly the rubber, next time I will pay more attention.

Thanks so much to everyone for your tips and suggestions. Will try next time...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I've always used scissors to cut rubbers. I think it's easier than using knives, just a bit messier. Never had this problem with Vega Pro (or any other rubbers). However, I had a sheet of Vega Elite that had this problem. Luckily I didn't like Vega Elite, so I never tried it again. Now I wonder if this is just a singular incident or it could happen to any Xiom rubber.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yeah I also use big scissors and never had a problem.

The only flaking I had with rubber was with the goddamn Tibhar Evolution series (MX-S and EL-P), which both flaked away like freaking dandruff.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I would say, the cutter you had is blunt, thus when cutting it "hurt" or "tore" some hairline (not visible to the eye) of the top sheet
and after some use, it will appear like that.

I would say Vega series topsheet is a bit more brittle than the other series, so your blunt blade could cause more damaged than a harder (firmer) topsheet.

Is there a change you cut the black side first, then red? so black side was still sharper blade etc.

I hope you are not playing ITTF regulated tournaments, as your red rubber would fail racket control....

and also, I also have Vega Pro for years (spare multiball feeder bat) and no issue like that

Reactions: Schmetterboy
This user has no status.
Each time I glue new rubbers I change the cutters blade. No change was made from cutting the black side to the red side. As I said before, I never had an issue like this before, and well, I've changed some rubbers in my life. I own a Gewo Jürgen Lieder blade with Joola Turbo rubbers from my childhood back in the 70s (yes, dudes...) which look better than this fresh glued Xiom Vega rubber, haha. Apart from rubber cutting techniques my concern is: Have any of you ever bought a defective rubber in the past? Can this happen?

Last edited:
Xiom tensors are very vivid, resilient and sinewy. When cutting, the greater pores allow the knife to take the sponge for a mm or two and release it after cutting which deformes the sponge and makes the pressure uneven especially when you try to follow the curves of the blade. If you use a knife with a straight blade with a sharp angle end and when cutting you don't apply the needed angle and pressure the end of the knife will just scratch on the pips making the topsheet to curle and detach from the sponge. Later these areas will criple. If you have problems with such cutting knifes you may try scisoors, or knifes with curved edge which will cut the topsheet without scratching on it. I personally always use a shaving blade, but most people find it dangerous and difficult.

Reactions: Schmetterboy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Each time I glue new rubbers I change the cutters blade. No change was made from cutting the black side to the red side. As I said before, I never had an issue like this before, and well, I've changed some rubbers in my life. I own a Gewo Jürgen Lieder blade with Joola Turbo rubbers from my childhood back in the 70s (yes, dudes...) which look better than this fresh glued Xiom Vega rubber, haha. Apart from rubber cutting techniques my concern is: Have any of you ever bought a defective rubber in the past? Can this happen?

so...did you do the black side first?

This user has no status.
Hey Schmetterboy,

I wanna help.
Usually, these cases happen if the rubbers are too old or as mentioned above, cut wrong.
But if you say that this happened after an hour of play, it is something that is worth looking into.

I am not sure where you've bought this, but since you reside in Europe I think XIOM EUROPE can help.

Please write to XIOM EUROPE,
1 ) with a scanned copy of a receipt of where you've purchased from.
2 ) cc e-mail to the location (shop) of purchase.
3 ) XIOM EUROPE will most likely to replace you with the rubber but with the condition where you send this rubber to XIOM EUROPE for investigation.

XIOM EUROPE CS team : [email protected] / product manager -> Simon Sangals

I hope this helps. :)

This user has no status.
Hey Schmetterboy,

I wanna help.
Usually, these cases happen if the rubbers are too old or as mentioned above, cut wrong.
But if you say that this happened after an hour of play, it is something that is worth looking into.

I am not sure where you've bought this, but since you reside in Europe I think XIOM EUROPE can help.

Please write to XIOM EUROPE,
1 ) with a scanned copy of a receipt of where you've purchased from.
2 ) cc e-mail to the location (shop) of purchase.
3 ) XIOM EUROPE will most likely to replace you with the rubber but with the condition where you send this rubber to XIOM EUROPE for investigation.

XIOM EUROPE CS team : [email protected] / product manager -> Simon Sangals

I hope this helps. :)

Wow, this is very helpful. Yeah, beside rubber cutting techniques I also believe this is quite wired... Thanks so much, I will write right now to XIOM!!