Advice needed for blade and rubbers

This user has no status.
Hi everyone. I have been playing TT almost for 2 years now offensive style. Currently have Joola Eagle Medium Blade with Donic Bluefire M3 Max on forehand, and Tibhar EL-P 2.0mm on backhand. Sometimes I find my blade a bit slow so I am keen to buy a Butterfly Korbel blade. Which rubbers could you recommend to me? Xiom Vega Pro is in my mind but I am affraid it would be too fast for me. Any other ideas?
Many thanks for your help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Hi everyone. I have been playing TT almost for 2 years now offensive style. Currently have Joola Eagle Medium Blade with Donic Bluefire M3 Max on forehand, and Tibhar EL-P 2.0mm on backhand. Sometimes I find my blade a bit slow so I am keen to buy a Butterfly Korbel blade. Which rubbers could you recommend to me? Xiom Vega Pro is in my mind but I am affraid it would be too fast for me. Any other ideas?
Many thanks for your help.
Hi Chaddy009, the best way to receive a proper advice about your hesitation is providing solid info, it's fine to know your setup but isn't enough, can you upload a footage training or playing a rally, mostly times the issue is closer about technique, stance or footwork than equipment.
Regards.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Reactions: Chaddy009

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Chaddy,

Is there any video of you playing?

The reason I ask, is that Bluefire and ELP are both quick rubbers - Likely quick enough for any of the top league players in the UK.

I would change the blade first, and keep the rubbers you have.

If you find you need something quicker still, you can then change the rubbers - Although if I'm honest, Bluefire and EL-P are both up there on speed already.

If there's one thing I've learned by playing the UK league system, and watching the pros, it's that spin and control are 100 times more important than raw speed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I'm playing with a Korbel, attached a MX-P FH and El-P BH, and it's pretty controllable, but that is a subjective opinion, if you think vega pro is a rocket they you should try vega euro, a bit softer rubber, but as NDH is better change a thing to time because if you change whole your setup you won't realise what fits better to you. You should record a video from you playing, will be more convenient

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hey Chaddy,

Is there any video of you playing?

The reason I ask, is that Bluefire and ELP are both quick rubbers - Likely quick enough for any of the top league players in the UK.

I would change the blade first, and keep the rubbers you have.

If you find you need something quicker still, you can then change the rubbers - Although if I'm honest, Bluefire and EL-P are both up there on speed already.

If there's one thing I've learned by playing the UK league system, and watching the pros, it's that spin and control are 100 times more important than raw speed.

I agree. Blade is +/- 70% of performance.

Reactions: Chaddy009 and NDH

NDH

says Spin to win!
I see. I dont have too much experience with equipments, however I found my currently blade a bit slow and my rubbers too fast and bouncy. I feel like this is not a right combo. I will make footage and upload here as soon as I can

Hmmmm, this would be a tricky one because you are saying it's slow and fast at the same time ;)

It sounds like it's the rubbers that are more of the problem.

Can you give some more info on why you feel the blade is too slow?

The rubbers are very likely to be too quick and bouncy (from what you've said), but I can't work out how you also think the blade is too slow.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Yeah, I think it's quite common at all levels ;)

For someone who has been playing 2 years, you've got a very quick set up.

If you are finding the balls are going too long, or you don't have as much control as you'd like, I'd definitely look at changing the rubbers first - I'd leave the blade as it is.

NDH

says Spin to win!
I'd really need to see a video before making suggestions.

I'd be tempted to down the Chinese hybrid route to give you good spin and control, with a bit of speed.

Something like the Yinhe Venus 3 for £15 would be a good place to start.

https://www.ttequipment.co.uk/product/yinhe-venus-3-rubber/

This user has no status.
I'm taking a total shot in the dark here. Your blade doesn't seem to be the problem if you lack control.
If your main problem is shots going too long on passive blocks or soft loops, maybe consider switching to harder rubbers for better control. Based on how much you play and work out, I think you are more than strong enough to generate good spin and speed with hard rubbers. Soft rubbers allows you to generate better spin and bounce with low power input, but give you less return on high power inputs. You are using M3, the softest in the Bluefire series, on FH. This might be the reason why your kill shots feel slow, yet you struggle to keep balls on the table with some of the soft or passive shots. Switching to M1 might solve this problem.
If your BH is weak, use a softer rubber than EL-P (maybe FX-P). Hard rubbers only come alive with more power. With low power input, they feel dead compared to soft rubbers. Like I said, the whole point of softer rubber is to allow you to generate good spin and speed with small power input. You might find it a lot easier to lift backspin and loop kill with BH once you switch to a softer rubber.
Softer rubber doesn't necessarily equate better control, and hard rubber doesn't necessarily mean faster shots. It all depends on how much power you put in.