Rosewood V worth it ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Perhaps this infor will help you to decide if Rosewood V is worthy for a trial :

web.me.com/igsstern/tabletennis/Blade_DB/Blade_DB.html

It has reviews on Stiga hardwood series including Rosewood V, as well as on Stiga Classic Series, Butterfly Timo Boll Series and Nittaku Violin series, all using the same metric of rating in different aspect of the blade. So you can make a good objective compare.

IMHO, my take away on Rosewood V is :
It is somewhere between Timo Boll ALC (or TBS) and Nittaku Acoustic in terms of characteristic (means relatively harder surface for good hand feel/speedy short game but good long ball retention when heavy loop from mid/far range). Not as extreme non-linearity as Offensive Classic, and milder overall than TBS.
It is not a hard hitter bat such as Stiga Clipper (short ball retention when hit hard). A longer ball retention means better control and higher success rate when looping from distance.
But the flip side of Rosewood V is its weight. I have to search around trying to find a <90g, but at the end has to accept a 91g FL. Good thing is its blade area is slightly compact so it helps minimize the overall weight when rubbers are put on.

One other thing is it has a 'NCT' surface treatment that is very smooth and prevent splinter, but rubber may come off easily if using volatile glue. I use water-base glue (Freechack) which is fine, just make sure the glue is thoroughly dried before sticking rubber on.

I use HK3 Neo 39 degree on FH and Sriver EL on BH, total 179g with the edge tape on.
At this weight I find it is still very good balance.
The FH with HK3Neo is a good combination for speed and spin. But I need to beef up the BH more. I am searching for a better substitution now.
Eyeing on T64, Acuda S2 or Calibra LT. (Any suggestion is greatly appreciated !).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I think Clipper series is a hard and very fast blade. It's surface
is slightly soft (limba wood) but with very stiff core (make of Ayous wood) due to the 7 layers structure.
Can be a very powerful weapon but very demanding to do it right.
The WRB is a handle design that has a hollow area that remove some weight at the handle, making it top heavy,
and add more power to the swing.

If u are looking for an all round blade perhaps you can try Allround Classic, Evolution or Allround NCT Wood ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I didn't play Ebenholz V before. I had tried it just bouncing ball on a bare blade. Compare to Rosewood V it felt a little harder at the surface. From some review in the web it is said to be slightly stiffer than rosewood (less springy) but not as stiff as Clipper. My guess is it may give more speed and control than RW but may be lesser spin (slightly shorter dwell time). I think it depend on your playing style which is better. Also the matching of rubbers can play an important part to bring more spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
I don't think ebenholz v will be any faster than the rosewood if you are looking for more power. But for me it is fast enough but it also has lots of control and the feel of the blade is great. It has a hard feel but one thing i don't like about it is that it vibrates too much when i hit the ball. I found out the handle was hollow when i sanded it down to fit my cpen grip

This user has no status.
Because i also demo clipper wrb and it was fast for me. i want something in the middle.

Rosewood vii i think is faster than clipper

If you want something in between rosewood v and clipper wrb, why not try stiga intensity. This is what Xu Xin used after rosewood v. Intensity is flexible with harder surface than rosewood; it's very good for looping. If your style is mostly looping from close to middle distance, than a 5-ply is better. If your style involves a lot of blocking and driving close to the table, than a stiffer 7-ply is better for you.

This user has no status.
Hi guys, could someone compare Rosewood V to VII? Is VII only faster or it differs in other characteristics too? I really like feeling of the VII but want something bit slower without losing feel.

Rosewood v and vii are different in characteristics. Vii is faster than v, but also much stiffer. This is because in 5-ply blades, the top plies and the thick core are arranged with vertical wood grain, while the 2nd and 4th plies have horizontal grain. This means 5-ply are generally much more flexible, because most of the blade consists of vertical plies.

7-ply blades are generally much stiffer than 5-plies, because the top plies, the 3rd, and 5th plies are vertical, while the core, 2nd, and 6th plies are horizontal. With more horizontal plies in the blade, the blade becomes much less flexible.

This principle applies to all 5-ply and 7-ply blades, not just rosewood and ebenholz.

Reactions: romanzdk