Butterfly viscaria and chinese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hi,

I just noticed that many chinese players like fan zhendong, fang bo, liang jingkun, wang chuqin, zhang jike use butterfly viscaria these days. Why is that? Is viscaria really very good with chinese rubbers? What are the reasons for its popularity in the chinese team. Moreover, what would be good weight for viscaria. Are heavy considered better? Would love to hear everyones thoughts and suggestions about these questions.

Last edited:
1 it’s very balanced and suitable for pros

2 viscaria suitable for bh advantage players, like ZJK,FZD, LGY, LJK etc.. Fang Bo is FH advantage so he used 968 before. But recently switched to Vis.

3 Follow the teammates. They just use what successfully teammate used, like ZJK

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Why is viscaria better for backhand and why is 968 better for forehand than viscaria?

2 viscaria suitable for bh advantage players, like ZJK,FZD, LGY, LJK etc.. Fang Bo is FH advantage so he used 968 before. But recently switched to Vis.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
My take on that "phenomenon" from 2013. How time flies! Reproduced here for future reference.

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62038&PID=739598&title=mmaze-vs-viscaria#739598
NextLevel said:
Mickael said:
Maze from my point of view is for a forehand oriented game, viscaria is balanced backhand forehand game, if your forehand is far better than your backhand go for the maze. Moreover the viscaria
has much more feel than the maze. The forehand of the maze is one of the most deadly among all blades not just the viscaria.

Blades have forehands now not players? And this is not even a special blade with different speeds on forehand and backhand...

Like Baal said, go to a club, hit with both blades and get a feel for them before you buy. Note that this does not guarantee that what you buy will play exactly as you expect, but it is better than spending $100 on a blade and not liking it.
Viscaria is almost unanimously worshipped as the blade with perhaps the most versatile backhand yet highly demanding forehand among EJs and non-EJs alike in China. OTOH, Stiga blades are widely praised for their forehand prowess and feel. Posts often pop up daily telling how bad or great it feels on either the forehand or backhand side whenever a person switches from one to the other brand. Much of it could well be due to the influence of Zhang Jike and Wang Liqin and I used to shrug it off. However, having spent considerable time with the Viscaria(so far 1.5 yrs) and Offensive Wood NCT(short of 3 yrs) with similar rubbers, I can sort of apprehend. Part of that may have to do with the diverse impact locations on the blade face between forehand and backhand strokes. The marks on my H3 and Hexer HD are far from reversed along the long axis. They scatter over concentrated regions, which are known to exhibit different COR values. When these locations are struck, various modes of vibration are excited at different amplitudes depending on the setup, grip, form etc., where the corresponding mode shapes are transferred to the hand. In the event one's forehand or backhand stroke happens to hit the region that matches his game, the player could be under the impression that blade is more suited for that particular side.

Reactions: RidTheKid
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Hey,
Why is viscaria better for backhand and w968 better for forehand? What is the explanation for that? Can you please let me know.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hey,
Why is viscaria better for backhand and w968 better for forehand? What is the explanation for that? Can you please let me know.

I am Chinese and read discussions in Chinese forum regularly.

Viscaria is not “better” in backhand. Viscaria is more linear and has a more direct feel than w968. You can access power more easily with Viscaria.

W968 has a much high power ceiling than Viscaria. It means the more power you put in, the more dwell time and rebound effect you will see. Therefore w968 is suitable for FH oriented players who regularly swing with high power.

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I Feel like many younger chinese seem to look What other successful players use and use the same. In this case Zhang Jike. Would be interesting to know how much thought they put into the choice.

Jan 2018
It's been that way since forever. CNT players switched overnight in flocks to the Avalox P500 for double inverted after Kong Linghui won singles at WTTC 1995 and P700 for inverted/pips after Wang Tao won doubles at Barcelona 1992. Same deal for Clipper after LGL won singles at Atlanta 1996, OC CR after WLQ won singles at WTTC 2001, Extra Offensive after MLin won singles at Beijing 2008 etc. The list goes on...