Sanding instead of sealing?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
After gluing and removing rubbers from a Yinhe Earth 3, which has a really smooth finish on the blade face, and a Korbel, which has a less smooth surface than Yinhe (for my surprise), I noticed something obvious. It is much easier to apply glue and remove rubbers from a smoother surface.
Based on this, since we seal the blades basically to prevent it from splintering when removing the rubbers, what about sanding the surface to get a really smooth surface instead of sealing it?

Off course I’m talking about the finest grit sandpapers to only work on the smoothness, and not to remove thickness. Also, using a straight block and all proper care.

My only concern is if the water on the water based glue could do actual damage to the blade over time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
After gluing and removing rubbers from a Yinhe Earth 3, which has a really smooth finish on the blade face, and a Korbel, which has a less smooth surface than Yinhe (for my surprise), I noticed something obvious. It is much easier to apply glue and remove rubbers from a smoother surface.
Based on this, since we seal the blades basically to prevent it from splintering when removing the rubbers, what about sanding the surface to get a really smooth surface instead of sealing it?

Off course I’m talking about the finest grit sandpapers to only work on the smoothness, and not to remove thickness. Also, using a straight block and all proper care.

My only concern is if the water on the water based glue could do actual damage to the blade over time.
The main reason to sealing a blade is protect from falling apart and avoid get humidity because the WBG, So you can sand the face and after seal the blade, I had the same issue with a Korbel euro. If you don't seal the blade may be you'll regret.