PDA

View Full Version : Crazy ball catch skill by Xu Xin!

TableTennisDaily
02-28-2019, 01:21 PM
We have watched this video over 100 times! How does Xu Xin do this?

This is some serious skill!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FITTFWorld%2Fvideos%2F257179488538375%2F&show_text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Loopadoop
02-28-2019, 01:24 PM
I bet he can't do that with Tenergy 05 rubber.

ILoveTT
02-28-2019, 01:57 PM

Even with the Hurricane 3 its still impressive? or is it easy with Hurricane, I will try this tomorrow

Atas Newton
02-28-2019, 02:22 PM
Not easy at all even with a tacky rubber. And their rubbers are not THAT tacky anyway. Some player like to bounce the ball on their rubbers before a serve, dropping it from minimal height from hand - it doesn't stick, it still bounces.

FruitLoop
02-28-2019, 02:36 PM
No hurling player would be overly impressed with this to be fair. Shout out to the Irish on here.

Xu Xin cloud walking at corner forward would be quite the sight.

LANGHAMMER
02-28-2019, 02:58 PM
Friends watch this from Xu Xin:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHPaXXeiYT8

suds79
02-28-2019, 03:57 PM
I've seen that catch of his probably 5 ish times now and I always thought two primary things
- He's got great touch
- That hurricane must be really sticky

But I just assumed he twiddled upon the catch. Just noticed now he did that with the RPB side. That's flat out crazy.

Lightzy
02-28-2019, 04:23 PM
No hurling player would be overly impressed with this to be fair. Shout out to the Irish on here.

Xu Xin cloud walking at corner forward would be quite the sight.

Share a nice video?

fais
02-28-2019, 04:32 PM
I can't watch the video because of the firewall at work, but if it is the video I'm thinking of, you can see ML catch the ball (almost) with the red side of his paddle (he was using tenergy at the time I believe).

Also, I've done it once or twice (few years back, after many tries) with my H3N XD

Tony's Table Tennis
02-28-2019, 08:00 PM
pros don't need hurricane or sticky rubber to do a "normal" catch
that extra high toss is first i've seen.

Loopadoop
02-28-2019, 08:49 PM
pros don't need hurricane or sticky rubber to do a "normal" catch
that extra high toss is first i've seen.

I still bet no pro can do it with Ten 05 on that high a ball demonstrated by xu xin.

pingpongcho
02-28-2019, 08:50 PM
This is stupidly impressive!

Atas Newton
03-01-2019, 03:16 AM
I still bet no pro can do it with Ten 05 on that high a ball demonstrated by xu xin.
I think you underestimate what pros can do :-) Here's (https://youtu.be/047lRBrNQ2c?t=73) an arguably more difficult trick by Marcos Freitas.

Tony's Table Tennis
03-01-2019, 05:19 AM
I think you underestimate what pros can do :-) Here's (https://youtu.be/047lRBrNQ2c?t=73) an arguably more difficult trick by Marcos Freitas.

correct, I've seen world 200 players done the same, you don't need to be a PRO or top 20 to know how to do it with an non tacky rubber.

and regarding the super high ball, one just need to practice - the feeling of the catch can be adjusted/learnt/adapted etc

Loopadoop
03-01-2019, 05:43 AM
correct, I've seen world 200 players done the same, you don't need to be a PRO or top 20 to know how to do it with an non tacky rubber.

and regarding the super high ball, one just need to practice - the feeling of the catch can be adjusted/learnt/adapted etc

Okay let's put that challenge out there on the super high ball using Tenergy 05 to see if anyone can do it, pro or amateur.

Tony's Table Tennis
03-01-2019, 05:57 AM
Okay let's put that challenge out there on the super high ball using Tenergy 05 to see if anyone can do it, pro or amateur.

do you really think your challenge will be even bothered by world top 200 players?
some times I wish I wear a go pro every time I'm with table tennis, so I don't need to waste my time to convince tt fans on what is possible, what is not possible

any ways, good luck advertising your challenge, I hope someone takes you serious
maybe put up a reward, and if the reward is half decent, I can forward your challenge to some of the players outside world rank 200 to record it

Loopadoop
03-01-2019, 06:04 AM
do you really think your challenge will be even bothered by world top 200 players?
some times I wish I wear a go pro every time I'm with table tennis, so I don't need to waste my time to convince tt fans on what is possible, what is not possible

any ways, good luck advertising your challenge, I hope someone takes you serious
maybe put up a reward, and if the reward is half decent, I can forward your challenge to some of the players outside world rank 200 to record it

How about challenging those two guys at Pongfinity who take on all the stuff requested by players ?

Atas Newton
03-01-2019, 06:11 AM
They'll do it no doubt. The only question is how many times out of 10.

Loopadoop
03-01-2019, 06:41 AM
They'll do it no doubt. The only question is how many times out of 10.

Pongfinity has been challenged !

Loopadoop
03-01-2019, 09:20 AM
How many do you think Pongfinity can do out of 10 by the two guys ?

I say 1 at the most.

FruitLoop
03-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Goalposts shifting...

Tony's Table Tennis
03-01-2019, 10:57 AM
all these tricks need to be practiced, once practiced the success rate is higher
spinning the ball on the nail is a good example
any pro who didn't do it before, will need some practice too

mart1nandersson
03-01-2019, 11:10 AM
The Pongfinity guys have all played for the Finnish national team. Not the strongest TT nation in the world but they're very good players not just showmen. It's like Tony says... most players at that kind of level and above can do some crazy sh*t that us mortals can't comprehend.

lVegita
03-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Xu Xin does so many crazier shit while in game I don’t even understand questioning his ability to do a standing trick.

Loopadoop
03-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Xu Xin does so many crazier shit while in game I don’t even understand questioning his ability to do a standing trick.

Nobody questioned his ability to do the trick.

I merely suggested that it would be very difficult to do the same trick using Tenergy 05 rubber.

fais
03-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Never mind you guys this isn’t the video I was talking about earlier. Holy s**t I couldn’t do this in a million years... damn

Edit: I was thinking it was this one
https://youtu.be/mq7Z4bQtsyY

Tony's Table Tennis
03-01-2019, 01:58 PM
Never mind you guys this isn’t the video I was talking about earlier. Holy s**t I couldn’t do this in a million years... damn

Edit: I was thinking it was this one

I recall seeing Dima once with his Tenergy 05
its kindof fun to fool around in the training hall

I once saw Ito did a super high chop on a short close to table push shot, so the ball almost hits the roof, lands on the opponent side (very very close to the net), and back spins over for her to catch. Another great touch of feel and technique.

If you guys get into training halls, its a different TT going on in there

lVegita
03-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Nobody questioned his ability to do the trick.

I merely suggested that it would be very difficult to do the same trick using Tenergy 05 rubber.

That’s a very peculiar way of merely suggesting haha

Loopadoop
03-01-2019, 03:53 PM
That’s a very peculiar way of merely suggesting haha

My point, Tenergy 05 is more bouncy and not as tacky so very difficult to do that same trick using it.

brokenball
03-01-2019, 05:51 PM
Xu Xin has figure out how to make the dwell time infinite for all practical purposes.
If you understand the physics of what is happening you would understand dwell time much better.
Obviously it helps to have a tacky rubber and a relatively dead rubber. I really doubt one can do this with the newer non-tacky rubbers or T05.

When Xu Xin hits the ball up it 10 meters, the ball will reach terminal velocity on the way down which is about 8.3m/s
I didn't think anybody could catch a ball faster than 5 m/s but I bet that ball is dropping at about 8 m/s to 8.3 m/s depending on how high Xu Xin can hit the ball. Hitting the ball up high helps keep the speed consistent on the way down because the ball will alway come down at the terminal velocity.

This is impressive. I don't think that catch back spin balls is as impressive. The reason why is that the the back spin dissipates much of the energy spinning up the slope of the paddle whereas Xu Xin must carefully decelerate the ball with little opposing force and dissipate the energy gradually.

The forum has got a dose of geek speak,

kirua18
03-01-2019, 11:43 PM
Even with no tacky rubber, it's possible. Gauzy made it after losing a point :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZPP1tgAwQM

Tony's Table Tennis
03-02-2019, 05:17 AM

Loopadoop, what you think is difficult, is actually very easy with players with proper touch.
If I recall, I saw JSH playing around one time as well. Wasn't a high ball, but was a decent just over head height
Gauzy here was very high and most importantly - unplanned for

you really under estimate the capability of what is out there..

Loopadoop
03-02-2019, 05:54 AM
Now it will be even more interesting to see how the guys at Pongfinity do with this !

Tony's Table Tennis
03-02-2019, 06:05 AM
Now it will be even more interesting to see how the guys at Pongfinity do with this !

you shift the goal post more, to players outside wr1000,
what ever keeps you happy

Loopadoop
03-02-2019, 06:27 AM
you shift the goal post more, to players outside wr1000,
what ever keeps you happy

Those guys at Pongfinity are pro at doing stunts.

The super high hit will be tough but they will probably do it. Some great stunts are done by non top Pro's.

Atas Newton
03-02-2019, 08:01 AM
Their end of the year video for 2018 was bonkers. Very skilled guys.

Richie
03-02-2019, 11:26 AM
all these tricks need to be practiced, once practiced the success rate is higher
spinning the ball on the nail is a good example
any pro who didn't do it before, will need some practice too

Agreed 100%.

People often seem to equate trick type stuff to being a good player or that they can just do that stuff because they are good players.

Someone could practice that stuff and seem very impressive but not be that good at the table.. and vice versa. A pro who's never practiced those trick things will be terrible at first BUT with some practice they'll probably pick it up faster than the average TT player. They're so used to feeling the ball and play so much + probably mess around with the ball a lot or have done when they're standing around so it's no surprise they'll pick these kind of tricks up.

I used to do tricks with a football/soccer ball and some people wondered why I wasn't a pro football player etc.. the funny thing is I've never played football for a team and was awful at playing football.

GusShnaps
03-02-2019, 11:40 AM
This is Xu Xin and Ma Long six years ago, practicing these tricks ;)

It definitely wasn't perfect, I agree with you guys, it doesn't matter if you're a good player or not, you always need to practice to perfect your skills. But better players might have an advantage (Xu Xin seemed like he was doing it for the first time and went pretty well).

Also: video shot by TableTennisDaily ;)

Tony's Table Tennis
03-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Agreed 100%.

People often seem to equate trick type stuff to being a good player or that they can just do that stuff because they are good players.

Someone could practice that stuff and seem very impressive but not be that good at the table.. and vice versa. A pro who's never practiced those trick things will be terrible at first BUT with some practice they'll probably pick it up faster than the average TT player. They're so used to feeling the ball and play so much + probably mess around with the ball a lot or have done when they're standing around so it's no surprise they'll pick these kind of tricks up.

I used to do tricks with a football/soccer ball and some people wondered why I wasn't a pro football player etc.. the funny thing is I've never played football for a team and was awful at playing football.

correct
tricks is one thing, training is another thing, match situation is another.
some times the player has all 3, some times only 1 of them.

for fans, they look at all 3 separate and all of them have a WOW factor

you can be good at tricks and training, but bad in match - you will never be pro
pro is more training + match, and no need for tricks
some players that are known to fool around more (aka Xu Xin) has full of tricks.... lol

any ways, TT tricks can be achieved by non pros for sure.
It doesn't need any tacky rubber too. Even though I agree tacky rubber makes it so much easier (ie I can do it with H3, but not with Euro/Jap rubber), but again, I don't go out and practice tricks and it is sure not impossible to do it with a non tacky rubber.

Loopadoop
03-15-2019, 11:19 PM
Pongfinity has been challenged !

It has been 13 days, no Pongfinity challenge yet, maybe they can't do it.

Loopadoop
03-18-2019, 06:08 PM
It has been 13 days, no Pongfinity challenge yet, maybe they can't do it.

Another episode of Pongfinity just released, the Xu Xin catch not done yet.

The challenge was the same type of catch, except using Tenergy 05 without any top sheet modifications. They did confirm receipt of the challenge back to me by messenger on Facebook.

GusShnaps
03-19-2019, 01:43 AM
Maybe their new video was recorded some time ago. The next might have the ball catch!

Loopadoop
03-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Another Pongfinity video just released, a giant table.

Still no high ball catch using non modified Tenergy 05 !

Can you do it ? Take the challenge !

yogi_bear
03-25-2019, 03:58 PM
Maybe they are still rehearsing hehehe.

Loopadoop
04-02-2019, 10:39 PM
Another Pongfinity video released April 1st Hands tied ping pong.

shinshiro
04-03-2019, 02:43 AM

Loopadoop, I don't want to be annoying but this is already the 4th time you post basically the same thing.
You can make public requests for them on their Youtube channel or another social media where they are active. No reason to do it here.

Loopadoop
04-03-2019, 02:56 AM
Loopadoop, I don't want to be annoying but this is already the 4th time you post basically the same thing.
You can make public requests for them on their Youtube channel or another social media where they are active. No reason to do it here.

Pongfinity did take my challenge by Facebook messenger reply to me, which I had stated here a 2-3 weeks ago.

Now I am updating for every video they release to see if they tried the challenge.

shinshiro
04-03-2019, 03:21 AM
Pongfinity did take my challenge by Facebook messenger reply to me, which I had stated here a 2-3 weeks ago.

Now I am updating for every video they release to see if they tried the challenge.

So it is probably more effective to ask them directly by facebook messenger then, since they already replied to you once.
You can update this thread when they release the video.
This is just an idea though, since obviously I'm not a moderator...but I feel this way would work better for every forum reader.

Archyan
04-03-2019, 06:56 PM

Difference is that Gauzys ball is not that high, and no spin.

Ioiettino
04-03-2019, 10:15 PM
You're pretty hard to please!

Loopadoop
04-03-2019, 10:27 PM
You're pretty hard to please!

Take the challenge yourself, in a gymnasium, after you have had as much practice as you want.

The Pongfinity team appears they decided not to do it, they obviously tried.

usualsuspect
04-04-2019, 03:21 PM
Not sure if anyone here remembers another challenge video, posted by ITTF a couple years ago. They asked some top players to bounce a ball on top of their racket handle. I think XX and FZD did the most on the first try. It almost looked like XX could've kept going forever, but decided to stop on his own.

Here's a link of that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHEgZUQdGbY&ab_channel=OfficialITTFChannel

Atas Newton
04-04-2019, 03:38 PM
He was gonna rest the ball on the handle like the showman that he is. The bouncing itself isn't too hard if you practice it for a bit, my record is 90 something and I didn't spend that much time getting there.

Difference is that Gauzys ball is not that high, and no spin.
the height is enough for the ball to reach its terminal velocity which is not that high. Also, when the ball hits an edge of the racket like that it retains most of its spin, in my experience at least. And Xu Xin hits the ball flat. If anything, Gauzy's catch is more impressive.

Archyan
04-04-2019, 07:07 PM
the height is enough for the ball to reach its terminal velocity which is not that high. Also, when the ball hits an edge of the racket like that it retains most of its spin, in my experience at least. And Xu Xin hits the ball flat. If anything, Gauzy's catch is more impressive.

The height def. is a factor here, even though max velocity is reached in less height. You're basically saying that it doesn't matter what height you are doing at; cause it's already at max velocity. Thus me doing it with a height of 2.5m is as "impressive" as Gauzys shot? Cool!

Also, you can clearly see that there's no spin on the ball Gauzy is catching (might be some top spin, but not much) by the way he catches it. I prefer Xu Xins shot cause; it's higher, more spin, and he catches it reversed (with his BH).

usualsuspect
04-04-2019, 07:15 PM
The height def. is a factor here, even though max velocity is reached in less height. You're basically saying that it doesn't matter what height you are doing at; cause it's already at max velocity. Thus me doing it with a height of 2.5m is as "impressive" as Gauzys shot? Cool!

Also, you can clearly see that there's no spin on the ball Gauzy is catching (might be some top spin, but not much) by the way he catches it. I prefer Xu Xins shot cause; it's higher, more spin, and he catches it reversed (with his BH).

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Also, XX's BH is RPB, which adds extra difficulty.

Loopadoop
04-04-2019, 07:32 PM
How about some short videos of members here trying to do the catch with Tenergy 05 !

lVegita
04-04-2019, 08:12 PM
How about some short videos of members here trying to do the catch with Tenergy 05 !

Deal!

You send me a sheet of Tenergy 05, I send you the video! :D

Archyan
04-04-2019, 08:22 PM

How high? According to Atas Newton height doesn't matter hehe

Loopadoop
04-04-2019, 08:48 PM
How high? According to Atas Newton height doesn't matter hehe

Just go as high as you can for fun !

Atas Newton
04-05-2019, 03:54 AM
The height def. is a factor here, even though max velocity is reached in less height.
solid logic right there mate. Xu Xin hits the ball completely flat with no spin at all, yet his ball has more spin than Simon's? Whatever.

Archyan
04-05-2019, 03:44 PM
solid logic right there mate. Xu Xin hits the ball completely flat with no spin at all, yet his ball has more spin than Simon's? Whatever.

If you really think XX hits the ball with no spin, having this discusision is completetly useless.
I'm sorry.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-05-2019, 09:39 PM

I agree this is no spin or not much.
That acceleration with his red rubber feels to me more like a pure wack of the ball - the ball hitting the blade.

And I'm not sure why people are saying he caught it with rpb, since he was holding shakehand style, he hit with red side, twiddle and catch with black side.

Simon's one imo is more difficult.
Xu Xin planned it, Simon did not.

Simon's one imo would have more spin than Xu Xin.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-05-2019, 09:40 PM
loopadoop, i don't want to be annoying but this is already the 4th time you post basically the same thing.
You can make public requests for them on their youtube channel or another social media where they are active. No reason to do it here.

thank you

Archyan
04-06-2019, 09:32 AM
And I'm not sure why people are saying he caught it with rpb, since he was holding shakehand style, he hit with red side, twiddle and catch with black side.

So you're telling me that he catched the ball with shakehand? I'm not sure how you hold shakehand, but that is definitely not shakehand.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-06-2019, 02:34 PM
So you're telling me that he catched the ball with shakehand? I'm not sure how you hold shakehand, but that is definitely not shakehand.
So you're telling me that he catched the ball with shakehand?
If your reading skills is normal, yes that is what I typed.

I'm not sure how you hold shakehand, but that is definitely not shakehand
I know how to hold shakehand and Cpen, thank you very much.

maybe you are confused on how one holds Cpen and heck if he catches with RPB, what in the world is his pinkie doing on the other side and not with the ball???

or maybe you are not refering to Cpen or some other grip and but last I checked, RPB the P stands for Penhold

Archyan
04-06-2019, 03:27 PM
[..]
He is holding his racket very loose, he still catches it with the BH side (wheter its RPB or Shakehand idc) which is harder than FH side.

If you seriously believe that Gauzys is more impressive, that's fine by me, I can't change someones mind who is stuck and blinded.

Loopadoop
04-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Nothing But the Facts

Xu Xin did a super high toss catch using a very tacky rubber.

Simon Gauzy caught a ball during a game point, not near as high as Xu Xin, but was using Tenergy rubber.

Pongfinity hasn't tried to do a high toss catch like Xu Xin using Tenergy 05.

Any members here want to do a catch using Tenergy 05 for fun.

I can't do it even 3 meters high with not much actual practice attempts.

JohnS99
04-06-2019, 03:55 PM
Do you really believe Gauzys shot is more impressive than XX's? Wow.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-06-2019, 05:12 PM
He is holding his racket very loose, he still catches it with the BH side (wheter its RPB or Shakehand idc) which is harder than FH side.

If you seriously believe that Gauzys is more impressive, that's fine by me, I can't change someones mind who is stuck and blinded.

name calling, yawn
so who ever disagree with you is now stuck and blinded.
yawn

btw, he caught it was fh side - watch again
he twiddle red to hit up, and black to catch

and btw, happy world table tennis day - what good deed did you do today besides trying to educate me on shakehand gripping?

Archyan
04-06-2019, 05:44 PM
[...]
and btw, happy world table tennis day - what good deed did you do today besides trying to educate me on shakehand gripping?
My point stays the same... You can clearly see that he has his index finger on the same side as the ball. Isn't that the BH side? Maybe you can teach me how you grip shakehand where you are from, but in Europe you usually have your index finder on the BH side.

Archyan
04-07-2019, 06:21 PM

I guess with you not replying, I did indeed educate you in shakehand gripping! Cool.

Tony's Table Tennis
04-07-2019, 08:45 PM
I guess with you not replying, I did indeed educate you in shakehand gripping! Cool.
Don't be so arrogant next time.

oh my gosh, you are a troll aren't you?

Since it is/was world table tennis day, I have been visiting 11 clubs to donate about 200 bats.
I don't care if you think you are professor of table tennis or what, but serious, get a life and make something useful of the air you breath.

UpSideDownCarl
04-07-2019, 09:14 PM
Archyan, I strongly recommend you drop this subject.

lVegita
04-08-2019, 01:52 PM
Archyan, I strongly recommend you drop this subject.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/cache.php?img=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tabletennisdaily.com%2Fforum%2Fcache.php%3Fimg%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fmedia.giphy.com%252Fmedia%252FfZyssFynWmQSc%252Fgiphy.gif

GusShnaps
04-22-2019, 04:51 PM
https://youtu.be/F3HVeUMHv40

They finally did it.
It was pretty easy for Miika, who was the one to try it out.

Suga D
04-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Nothing But the Facts

Xu Xin did a super high toss catch using a very tacky rubber.

Simon Gauzy caught a ball during a game point, not near as high as Xu Xin, but was using Tenergy rubber.

Pongfinity hasn't tried to do a high toss catch like Xu Xin using Tenergy 05.

Any members here want to do a catch using Tenergy 05 for fun.

I can't do it even 3 meters high with not much actual practice attempts.

https://youtu.be/F3HVeUMHv40

They finally did it.
It was pretty easy for Miika, who was the one to try it out.

Amazing.

And even did it with a bare blade without rubberz.
[Emoji15]

Crazy

Wonder if that will finally put Loopi to mute.
[Emoji23]
Thanks @Pongfinity
Lederhosen. Jawoll!
[Emoji23]
1 <3

lVegita
04-23-2019, 01:05 PM

Another Loopadoop post on other threads.

Still no reaction to Pongfinity easily doing the high ball catch.

Can you convince him it is not impossible? Take the challenge!