Jun 2015
USA
2019 Pan Am Games Team Trial & 1st Adult National Ranking Tournament

March 1-3

Here is link to:
schedule
entries
live stream link

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2019/February/19/2019-Pan-American-Games-Trial-and-First-Adult-National-Ranking-Event-Tournament-Homepage

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Didn't see Jha on the entry list. I guess he's automatically qualified for the games?

He was probably told he would make the team no matter what. I think in this tournament only the winner is guaranteed to make the team and the HPD will pick the rest of the team members himself. Lots of players didn't participate in part because of the silly way they are picking the team. In years past they had around 50 competitors. Now there are 25 with the majority of them being from California where the event is held.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Everytime I see Kunal Chodhri .. I just feel so sad , what a waste of talent and potential ! I still wish he gets some motivation and a coach who can make him work hard on his game and athleticism and make him play disciplined on the table ... there is no end to what he can achieve if he does that ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
why is Lily and Wu Yue wasting their time.
they will be automatically selected just like Kanak :p

This is misinformation, as part of the reason this tournament is being held is for the Pan American games, which Kanak has directly qualified for already. So he doesn't need to come back and play this. Neither Wu Yue or Lily did, so they still have to play.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
This is misinformation, as part of the reason this tournament is being held is for the Pan American games, which Kanak has directly qualified for already. So he doesn't need to come back and play this. Neither Wu Yue or Lily did, so they still have to play.

how is it misinformation?
the whole world knows that 67% of the entry is chosen by the a few people.
unless those people have no intention of choosing America best 2 female players?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
unless those people have no intention of choosing America best 2 female players?

On the men's side of the 15 players that entered, 14 are currently living in California (where the event was held) and 1 was from Ohio.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:SARCASM MODE ON:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think everyone is really enthusiastic about the new selection criteria for joining the national team considering the huge amount of people who entered from all across the country...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:SARCASM MODE OFF:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

There is no guarantee that anyone who hasn't qualified is going to go. Kanak is not there because he had already qualified. Not playing your qualifier is a sign of having other priorities unless the coaches approve.

Like I said, people want to make it sound like intelligent decision making about how to handle your players is biased thinking. But this is how it is done in many countries.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
So who were the prominent names who decided not to show up? I could only think of one or two and neither of them have any desire to play professional TT AFAIK.

Click on the top 25 ratings for men and women and click "US Citizens Only" to see who didn't show up and more importantly who did and their relative rankings. In the past, people outside of the top 25 have performed well at the trials and made the national team.

Also just because other countries do something and it works well for them, doesn't make it right. The HPD has certain likes and opinions that he has made known. To me it is pretty clear who he will pick and who he definitely won't pick. Things should be fair. It shouldn't be up to one person to determine what happens. It should be through fair competition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Click on the top 25 ratings for men and women and click "US Citizens Only" to see who didn't show up and more importantly who did and their relative rankings. In the past, people outside of the top 25 have performed well at the trials and made the national team.

Also just because other countries do something and it works well for them, doesn't make it right. The HPD has certain likes and opinions that he has made known. To me it is pretty clear who he will pick and who he definitely won't pick. Things should be fair. It shouldn't be up to one person to determine what happens. It should be through fair competition.

In Germany, China, France etc., it isn't done through fair competition. What have these countries done wrong?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

So I did why you said and I did not see any play other than the two that originally came to mind in the top 25 who did not attend the trial. So can you please tell me who is not attending that would have attended ?
Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Only Two? Look harder...

Take the top 25, look who attended for both men and women, then look who didn't attend. Quite a few of these players travel all around the country to play tournaments. Some of them were left off the official national team for whatever reason. I am not going to name specific names because with the way the selection process is, I do not want to cause them trouble.