palio expert 2 upgrade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hey everyone,

My 10 year old son has been playing with a palio expert 2 for the last 2 1/2 years and he has really progressed and he is wanting a new bat, which I think will help him carry on his progression.

I have been looking and there are so many options......

I have been looking at butterfly bats but have no idea what to go for?

Help!!

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey everyone,

My 10 year old son has been playing with a palio expert 2 for the last 2 1/2 years and he has really progressed and he is wanting a new bat, which I think will help him carry on his progression.

Help!!

Hi PDH,

I'd definitely consult his coach (assuming he has one).

People generally think it's the right thing to do by getting new bats/rubbers etc - But there are some top top juniors who still use the likes of the Palio as it's perfectly adequate.

Has he been having lessons?

Reactions: suds79 and tzifos
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Really like NDH's post. I'd follow that.

I'll share this story I had when I first learned to play at 19 I think. Anyways, got a premade bat. Got better. I think about a year or two down thinking "it's time to upgrade" and bought a Yasaka Mark V Special Edition paddle with Mark V rubbers max forehand & backhand.

Hated the setup. Really got discouraged with how long everything was going. I believe took a break from TT from about 21 to 28 ish? Sad. :/

Anyways, equipment is a tricky thing. Easy to fall into the trap of thinking "Now it's time to upgrade. I'm ready for more power & speed" when that's not how it really works.

To date I play with a $40 blade from Gambler and it's probably the best blade I've ever played with. And I use to play with a Stiga Clipper (completely different style of blade but very popular). This Gambler blade is much slower & flexy but for my style of play, I absolutely love it.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
Hey everyone,

Help!!

Your best bet might be to keep the blade from his current setup and buy new rubbers. That way he is still using something he's at least kind of familiar with. Hurricane 3 neo may be a good upgrade to the Palio rubbers, as would be Dawei 2008XP. Some may recommend a milder tensor rubber, but I have no experience with them so I'll leave that arena to those who have the experience.

Reactions: suds79
This user has no status.
I started out with that paddle. My first upgrade was to replace the rubber with the same model but in 2.2mm sponge thickness (it comes in 2.0mm).

It was a small but incremental speed boost. It also comes in harder sponge variations. It’s also a cheap upgrade ($8 per sheet on eacheng.net).

(CJ8000 biotech 36-38 degree).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Hi PDH,

I'd definitely consult his coach (assuming he has one).

People generally think it's the right thing to do by getting new bats/rubbers etc - But there are some top top juniors who still use the likes of the Palio as it's perfectly adequate.

Has he been having lessons?

Hi NDH

Thanks for the reply. Yeah he is a member at our local TT club and has a coach there. Good shout to consult him first, to see what he thinks of my sons playing style and what he recommends for him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.
I was thinking that the palio was a budget bat, i think i paid £29.99 for it, so is it worth even keeping the blade?
Sorry for my ignorance but I have no experience of TT equipment

NDH

says Spin to win!
Thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.
I was thinking that the palio was a budget bat, i think i paid £29.99 for it, so is it worth even keeping the blade?
Sorry for my ignorance but I have no experience of TT equipment

It depends on the blade.

Some pre made bats allow you to take the rubbers off, some don't.

The ones that do, are usually decent enough to continue with (I'd guess this is the Palio one here).

2 1/2 years of the same rubbers will also be pretty bad - Even getting newer rubbers that are the same might be the answer.

If you have a decent coach, they'll be able to advise the best course of action at this point.

But, there is no such thing a silly question - So ask whatever you feel you need to know (to the coach, and to us) ;)

This user has no status.
It depends on the blade.

Some pre made bats allow you to take the rubbers off, some don't.

The ones that do, are usually decent enough to continue with (I'd guess this is the Palio one here).

2 1/2 years of the same rubbers will also be pretty bad - Even getting newer rubbers that are the same might be the answer.

If you have a decent coach, they'll be able to advise the best course of action at this point.

But, there is no such thing a silly question - So ask whatever you feel you need to know (to the coach, and to us) ;)

The Palio rubbers can be removed and the blade is actually really nice. A lot of the newer guys at the club I play at have it and have since replaced the rubbers.

This user has no status.
Rubber $10 a sheet free shipping
Palio cj8000 biotech - I would go with the thinnest sponge 1.8 ..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/1024127326.html

But the blade comes with that rubber in 2.0mm thickness. Why would he want to go even slower?

Also is the original poster (pdhmobile) comfortable with gluing rubber? (Or is there at least a friend at your club who can do it?).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
But the blade comes with that rubber in 2.0mm thickness. Why would he want to go even slower?
Also is the original poster (pdhmobile) comfortable with gluing rubber? (Or is there at least a friend at your club who can do it?).

Are you sure the original came with 2.0 ?

Usually a premade comes with 1.5, unless you order it special.

This user has no status.

Agree with Bryan here. Going to Max sponge will give more spin and speed and get him used to the feeling of thicker rubber before upgrading to something significantly different. Going thinner is going backwards if he has good control already.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
So are we saying the thicker the rubber, the faster it is? ive seen rubbers at 1.9mm.
And if the bat/rubber is too fast his shots will go long?

This user has no status.
So are we saying the thicker the rubber, the faster it is? ive seen rubbers at 1.9mm.
And if the bat/rubber is too fast his shots will go long?

Yes.

If you are comparing the exact same rubber then the 2.2mm sponge will be a little faster (and possibly spinnier on hard shots) than the 2.0mm sponge.

You said that his skill level has improved. Keeping the same blade and the same rubber with a thicker sponge should be a modest and incremental upgrade in speed (and maybe spin).