PDA

View Full Version : How is the best way to clean pips

Loopadoop
03-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Short and long

I want the best friction possible.

Lula
03-10-2019, 03:30 PM
Do you need to clean them? I have never cleaned my short pips. Never seen a reason to, but maybe i would.

RidTheKid
03-10-2019, 03:39 PM
Soap and water?

Loopadoop
03-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Soap and water ?

I don't want the base sheet to be soaked with water or soap residue.

RidTheKid
03-10-2019, 04:17 PM
Damp cloth.

Loopadoop
03-10-2019, 04:19 PM
Damp cloth.

Hard to keep lint from being left on the pips.

RidTheKid
03-10-2019, 04:23 PM
Pressure air on tube? Same as used when cleaning the computer keyboard and/or computer.

Loopadoop
03-10-2019, 04:28 PM
Pressure air on tube? Same as used when cleaning the computer keyboard and/or computer.

Hair dryer on cool setting should work.

Der_Echte
03-10-2019, 04:30 PM
Armour All the crap outta it... then let dry on dashboard of car window on sunny day in summer from 1000 to 1900... that outta do the job.

Loopadoop
03-10-2019, 05:02 PM
Armour All the crap outta it... then let dry on dashboard of car window on sunny day in summer from 1000 to 1900... that outta do the job.

I don't think that will work, would make them frictionless, the opposite of my goal, could you try that with your best inverted rubber paddle, might work, let me know how it works to make you some nice anti.

Der_Echte
03-10-2019, 05:19 PM
Looks like you took my comments with the proper amount of a truckload grain of salt.

My serious answer would be a lemon juice and olive oil scrub, wipe off, followed by a toothbrush and toothpaste scrub, followed by a water/toothbrush rinse, followed by a towel pat-down and a few minutes of no heat hair dryer.

That will get them to OEM restored.

If you want MOAR friction, scruff the pips up with a small METAL brush, the ones you see in the car care section at Walmart. this will give you a LOT moar friction, but will also make it much easier for them to get clogged dirty... so you will need a monthly scrub routine.

Lula
03-10-2019, 05:32 PM
I still wonder if we need to clean them? What kind of pips are they? short or long? I doubt you will get more friction from cleaning them. Do not think there are much dust and shit on the pips.

Der_Echte
03-10-2019, 05:37 PM
I still wonder if we need to clean them? What kind of pips are they? short or long? I doubt you will get more friction from cleaning them. Do not think there are much dust and shit on the pips.

Lula,

Maybe where you play, the air is clean, people actually bring court shoes and change into them at the venue... etc...

… but in many other places I have been, those are not the playing conditions. Maybe the top of the pips are less dirty with crud, because the impact of the ball takes some of it off, but with time, it can really build up. Cleaning is needed and the interval required will vary, but cleaning will be needed for sure.

Some players who play with less spin and want a more spin sensitive setup can like some crud build-up, suits them to a T. There are inverted players that way too.

Loopadoop
03-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Yes, there may be some do do on the pips with all the yard dogs playing without a scooper.

Der_Echte
03-10-2019, 05:47 PM
There is also a product sold to commercial printing press outfits that is designed to clean the worst possible build-up on rubber rollers used for the press. It comes in a spray can, other uses are for restoring laser/ink-jet printer rollers that cause jams. Handy to have a can around.

Such a product used to be really popular as recent as the 80s.

This product likely uses some industrial heavy-duty VOCs and Solvents to do the job, so I would recommend a lemon juice/olive oil job immediately afterwards.

mart1nandersson
03-10-2019, 10:25 PM
I have two women in my team who play with anti (Super anti) and SP (Rakza PO) and they would never ever clean their rubbers. They've both played in the top flight in their youth.

LordPippington
03-11-2019, 01:36 AM
Wet down a toothbrush and scrub it like an infant's mouth!

UpSideDownCarl
03-11-2019, 03:03 AM
I am with Lula. I have never known a pips player, long or short pips, who wanted to clean their pips.

There is an old joke though. That if you want to get a pips player mad and get inside their head, clean their pips in the crossover during a match. :)

lasta
03-11-2019, 03:28 AM
I clean my pips as often as I clean my balls;) haha.

On a more serious note, damp rubber cleaning sponge (yinhe, DHS) works good, they do not leave lints.

Rubber cleaning formula has detergents in them, I find they leave a residue which actually decreases grip. Water alone works fine.

For heavy cleaning, water+toothbrush works. Don't worry about water getting in the sponge, wait to dry, no major harm. Although by the point you need this, may be time to get a new sheet.

Der Echtes roller rejuvenater might give some tackiness and I'm guessing its the same as spinmax. Never tried, not sure if legal.

Der_Echte
03-11-2019, 05:28 AM
ITTF can also bitcvh and moan about all the commercial rubber cleaners sold by TT outfits as well. ITTF would have a rubberish argument.

lasta
03-11-2019, 06:07 AM
ITTF can also bitcvh and moan about all the commercial rubber cleaners sold by TT outfits as well. ITTF would have a rubberish argument.

Well, if we are going down this route, lighter fluid+tooth brush=cleaner than new!

PS, your red pips may turn pink.

tropical
03-11-2019, 06:30 AM
I've never cleaned my pips. Maybe I should?

Der_Echte
03-11-2019, 07:02 AM
Well, if we are going down this route, lighter fluid+tooth brush=cleaner than new!

5 gallon can of JP8 and a match or two can clean anything. :D Lighter fluid is crap for a topsheet.

Many TT store sold cleaners have additives (some have oil - oil is also a tuning agent and supposed to be illegal)… but ITTF isn't in a hurry to bring lawsuits and lawyers into the mix... even if is against the exact rules ITTF made (no treatment - cleaning the rubber is a treatment, restoring it is a treatment) ITTF has no common sense, we TT players should.

If anyone wants to report Der_Echte to the Chief of ITTF Goon Squad for cleaning the crap off his rubber with the cleaning material of his choice, the tribunals are open for business.

Loopadoop
03-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Lighter fluid expands long pips which would ruin them !

lasta
03-11-2019, 07:32 AM
You wait for it to dry/settle first. Besides, expanded long pips are all the craze aren't they?

If nothing works, you can lick them.

But honestly, damp sponge, toothbrush if you really need it. Nothing more.

garza01x22
03-11-2019, 10:05 PM

Short and long

I want the best friction possible.

thx for all

Simas
03-13-2019, 03:14 PM

lasta
03-14-2019, 02:25 AM
Simas,

That's just overkill.

While you are at it, might as well give your pips a badger brush lather treatment. Hot towel pre-and witch hazel post are an extra indulgent. A splash of bay rum will make the pips look AND smell new.

Simas
03-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Simas,

That's just overkill.

While you are at it, might as well give your pips a badger brush lather treatment. Hot towel pre-and witch hazel post are an extra indulgent. A splash of bay rum will make the pips look AND smell new.

I don't have pips, so I'm no expert here. Just remembered that I saw such a thing when I was browsing Butterfly and was surprised such thing existed :) But it looks quite handy :)

LordPippington
03-14-2019, 04:04 PM
I don't have pips, so I'm no expert here. Just remembered that I saw such a thing when I was browsing Butterfly and was surprised such thing existed :) But it looks quite handy :)

I've had that butterfly brush thing for years. Works fine for what it does, or as my earlier suggestion - just get a toothbrush with stiffer bristles!

suds79
03-14-2019, 04:10 PM
use to play pips. Don't now but.

With LPs? - No need to ever clean them.

With SPs? - Because they are suppose to grip a little i did use water and a pips brush like Simas posted. Think it was like $3 so I could swing it. ;) Wouldn't clean every time but every now & then. Don't know if it made much of a difference but i did it anyways.