what to expect from a setup change

This user has no status.
so a good month or so ago I had the displeasure of losing my racket in a freak accident that I don't even want to describe in here, which ended up with me having to play a state championship with a racket borrowed from a pal who is an absolute feather at the table with his 50 years or so of age, but that's not what we're discussing about. it was a TSP hino-carbon power, a really fast outer carbon hinoki blade, with donic bluefire m2 on the forehand side and acuda p2 on the backhand side. I've been training with it since the championship but my new setup is about to arrive hopefully still during this week. it's a donic ovtcharov no. 1, inner carbon blade with limba and ayous layers (not sure about the exact order of the wood layers though), with a tibhar aurus prime on the forehand and a rasanter r42 on the backhand side (both max). to the people who have played with those rubbers and maybe with the blade (doubt it) before, what do you guys and gals think i'll be experiencing in terms of differences in speed, spin, control, feeling, all that jazz - with the new setup when compared to the borrowed setup? (note that the rubbers look pretty old already, maybe a year, already failing to perform the spinnier more brushy loops sometimes)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
As for the No. 1 blade, there should be a difference between the Senso version and the cheaper one.
I´ve tried the cheaper one and found it pretty direct with rubbers quite equal to the Aurus Prime.
Personally, having tried the TSP in the past, I would prefer the TSP because it has better touch.
Aurus Prime will feel more compact than M2, harder sponge and all.
Acuda I´ve never bothered to try, but R42 is a good rubber, if a little soft (appeared softer than nominal 42 degree to me).

All in all, the new setup might appear a bit more difficult to play than the borrowed one, but if you have handled ALC and T05 as in your signature, you will get used to it, might even feel a bit like coming home.

If you are used to Boll Alc, I would prefer the TSP hinoki outer carbon.
Inner carbon blades are very different and it may take time to get use of it, different feel with softer touch and stronger hits, not linear speed change, not linear flex, all these reflex on the spin with different hits. I don't say tha inners are bad, no, they may be perfect, but it just may take time to accomodate to the new feeling, in case you are well enough used to outer carbon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
OK. I actually have an Ovtcharove Number One, and a Viscaria with Tenergy. The ONO is a good example of the HL5 type of blade, and i really find it more reassuring than the Fang Bo 2 or PG5. However, for me, the H301 with the koto face ply is a touch easier to use, and the ball goes back where I want it to go more often. I keep the Viscaria on hand for late into the night matches, when I am a little fatigued, and can't concentrate as hard on my shots. But I know that some people find the limba blades to have more control. Possibly something to do with perception of the ball on the bat, although this is an imprecise area.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
Personally, having tried the TSP in the past, I would prefer the TSP because it has better touch.

The TSP Hino-carbon power is currently at sale. I´m looking for a carbon blade with a slightly larger head. The TSP has a head size of 160*153 with thick hinoki outer ply. A 3+2 construction of hinoki – carbon – kiri – carbon – hinoki.
I want a blade that’s slower and more controlled than e.g. Viscaria/Timo Boll alc. Good for short game and spin. The few reviews of this blade vary a lot. Some say it´s a pip´s smash and block off ++ blade while other say it´s great for short game and spin. Some say it´s fast like a schlager or primorac carbon and other say it´s to slow.

Anyone with experience of this blade? Can you please share some info about this blade?
Airoc, Do you think it has better touch and more controlled than the Ovtcharov No. 1 blade?