Feedback on my FH & BH Loop

This user has no status.
Finally got a mini tripod and filmed myself. It’s enlightening to watch how awkward my footwork and posture are sometimes.

I posted a video of me (the guy in the red shirt) doing a training drill (one push and one loop). I started playing table tennis about two years ago. I guess I’m intermediate level. There is a ton of room for improvement in all areas of my technique. I occasionally train with a coach, but I’m looking for constructive comments about what I need to improve on and what seems to be working well.

Also, I just switched to super bouncy Rhyzer rubber, so my push is still garbage until I get used to it. [emoji12]

https://youtu.be/A0d1tKU58xM

Last edited:
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I will say a few simple things.

Your backswing on FH is going WAY behind you.... You can generate power without that longish backswing, timing will be easier.

If you want more spin on BH vs underspin, drop paddle lower between legs and go up more.

Your bounce well, back into position.

If you want more topspin vs underspin on FH, drop shoulder a little more, get hips lower, push off with leg and swing up more. Maybe coach wants you to hit loopdrives right now. This slow loop will be your friend down the road.

On your pushes, step under table more and take ball off the bounce, this habit will give you hundreds of points later.

This user has no status.
I will say a few simple things.

Your backswing on FH is going WAY behind you.... You can generate power without that longish backswing, timing will be easier.

If you want more spin on BH vs underspin, drop paddle lower between legs and go up more.

Your bounce well, back into position.

If you want more topspin vs underspin on FH, drop shoulder a little more, get hips lower, push off with leg and swing up more. Maybe coach wants you to hit loopdrives right now. This slow loop will be your friend down the road.

On your pushes, step under table more and take ball off the bounce, this habit will give you hundreds of points later.

Yeah, I've been trying to break the bad habit of the backswing going way behind me. It's tough. That's part of why I'm filming.

Also, the coach has been getting on me about what you said regarding pushing. I feel like maybe that's a footwork issue and I'm being lazy or rushed and not stepping in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The getting close to the ball is a long term commitment of courage and stepping in,,, and believing your young body can step out and be ready to finish business.

That will not happen overnight... but the skill and habit of getting to the ball will help you in so many areas of TT down the road... invest now for your future.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You seem to have a good coach so maybe you do not need our help!

I just watched some minutes.

I think you can start with these things:

taking the ball earlier when pushing short. Now you take it late and the ball will be high.

Shorter stroke on both of the opening loops. Bh is better than fh. Since there is backspin in the ball you need to be much more explosive compared to looping against a topspin ball. With such a long stroke it is very difficult to accelerate and be explosive. Will be much easier to get the ball over the net and you will get more spin, power with a shorter stroke.

Good luck!

Reactions: BryanY
This user has no status.
I won't repeat the good advice you got already but I agree with der echte and Lula. To add something, I don't think you stay low enough on forehand. You rise up and out of the lower stance and your rotation also rises up which leaks power. Needs to be more low stable and rotating around an axis going vertically through the centre of your body more. This would also help with the big swing. For such a big swing there wasn't much power. You could get the same power with a short swing that rotates the arm with the body more efficiently imo.

I think this is quite illustrative because it shows a good angle of how low these pros get and stay low and how the rotation works spinning the arm forward. https://youtu.be/vd1mkwhbPyY

Last edited:
Reactions: BryanY
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
I think on your FH you go off balance by the end of the shot. When you finish the rotation, you lean heavily on the side, which makes it very difficult to recover if the ball comes back. It is OK for a kill shot, but for a standard forehand your body should remain in the center to keep you balanced. Watch how WLQ's body body below remains in the center by the end of the shot. I wouldn't bother shortening your swing: top Chinese players play gigantic FH swings whenever possible and they are the best in the World.

It is hard to judge your BH from this angle, but your body work seems a little bit odd. You fold your body to generate power (which is very good), but somehow you twist to the side dropping your left shoulder. It could be due to taking the ball on your left side (as opposed to the center), but it is hard to tell. To understand what I mean, watch ML's backhand (around 4:50). When he bows his body down on the backswing, his shoulders remain level at all times.

Last edited:
Reactions: fais and BryanY
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Do not matter how long the swing is as long as it is fast acceleration and explosive against backspin. Very difficult to have that with longer strokes. Easier if the stroke is more compact, But Not to short either of course.

This user has no status.
Do not matter how long the swing is as long as it is fast acceleration and explosive against backspin. Very difficult to have that with longer strokes. Easier if the stroke is more compact, But Not to short either of course.

I disagree with this. How can it be easier to explode with acceleration with a shorter swing??

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
In my experience it is harder to move the arm fast and explosive if the stroke is to long. Many of the players i coach have a way to long stroke against backspin, and the problem there is that they move their arm so slow because the swing is to big.

I think if We also look at the pros that generate much power and spin have pretty compact strokes and explode at the moment of impact.

But i think it can be hard for us to discuss this since We Do not know how long stroke We are talking about. You seem to know alot of tabletennis so i think you Maybe agree with me But We have a hard time to understand eachother in text. Not sure.

For example i think the OP forehand loop against backspin had a to long stroke and therefore he mived his arm very slow. His bh against backspin was much better in my opinion because it was a little shorter and faster acceleration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I notice that you are shifting your body weight back while completing your swing. I have the same problem and my coach keeps stressing to keep your center of gravity slightly forward and stay that way even after the swing. Lean forward a bit more and maybe bend the legs more as well.

Reactions: fais and BryanY
I agree on the opinion that your swing is too great. Try swinging the racket up to the side of the knee only but tilt your body more towards the right with 80% of your weight while in the position.

This user has no status.
In my experience it is harder to move the arm fast and explosive if the stroke is to long. Many of the players i coach have a way to long stroke against backspin, and the problem there is that they move their arm so slow because the swing is to big.

I think if We also look at the pros that generate much power and spin have pretty compact strokes and explode at the moment of impact.

But i think it can be hard for us to discuss this since We Do not know how long stroke We are talking about. You seem to know alot of tabletennis so i think you Maybe agree with me But We have a hard time to understand eachother in text. Not sure.

For example i think the OP forehand loop against backspin had a to long stroke and therefore he mived his arm very slow. His bh against backspin was much better in my opinion because it was a little shorter and faster acceleration.

Yeah maybe. I just can't figure out what you mean. Look at the most powerful strokes in table tennis, Xu Xin Ma Long FH. Mega long swings especially Vs backspin.

Think of a discuss thrower. Longer swing allows you to have a way faster swing. Think of the physics of it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
The explosiveness comes from using core and legs muscles properly. You can have an explosive large swing if you use those muscles properly, and you are physically strong in that area. It takes quite some time to build the necessary strength and then to be able to hit the ball consistently with a very fast swing.

Reactions: RidTheKid
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I disagree with this. How can it be easier to explode with acceleration with a shorter swing??

Very often, shorter is better if you can get the position and leverage.

I guarantee you FL, that on my BH wing, my compact stroke with good whip and a very short space (think maybe 30 cm) I can make a ball with the same power as many players' FH smash.

I fully agree with Lula in that many player's long strokes lead to poor acceleration and final bat speed. It is possible to use a long stroke on FH where each area amplifies power and a really powerful final result, but that really requires some serious timing and coordination. In nearly every case, for amateur players including my level, it is better to be more compact and still very powerful.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Good advice you got here. But I also think you'd have much greater power if you rotated hips more. Try to brace your stomach muscles when you swing through the ball to transfer energy to the upper body. Hope this helps

This user has no status.
Feedback on my FH & BH Loop

Thanks guys! The goal for now (on FH) will be to use a more compact stroke with my shoulder dropped down lower and more use of the legs for power. Hopefully better rotation and acceleration too.

My big sloppy arm motion does in fact cause me to miss some balls or get messed up on timing.

I'll probably post a follow up video later on.

Pushing will be my first focus. I'll need to get better at pushing early with my body closer in.

On my backhand loop I do tend to have a weird habit of dropping my left shoulder lower than the other. Partially that is because I sometimes take the ball from the left side.

Also, after seeing the video of myself, my posture isn't as low and forward as I thought it was.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
About posts 10-12. The only thing that really matters is the speed and attitude of the paddle when hitting the ball. It is possible to make a long stroke with a slower acceleration or a short stroke with a faster acceleration and still reach the same speed. The long stroke obviously takes more time but is less stressful on the body.
Usually you don't have time to make long strokes when close to the table.