2019 Asian Cup April 5-7

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Not going go be terribly interesting without Mima Ito. With all the hype surrounding her I think people tend to forget that she hasn't proven herself in Singles events of major tournaments yet (i.e. no medal in Olympics, WTTC or Women's World Cup) and I think Miu Hirano constantly getting the nod over her for these events have at least some influence on that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Interest - only for MS ....
smiley17.gif

WS - perfectly predictable winners ...
smiley9.gif

And not the fact that Ishikawa and Hirano will be on 3 - 4 place ....

Reactions: akoozab
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Sorry, the format for Asian Cup has always been a bit confusing for me. Am I right to assume that the seeded players (12 in total) will be allocated into three groups (A, B, C) and each group cannot contain players from the same association? Those who ended up as first and second in each group will advance to Stage 2. The last four of the 16 registered players will be pitting each other in the so-called "Continental Cup" (Group D)?

Following which, the players who only placed third in Groups A, B and C will duke it out with the winner of the Continental Cup to determine two more slots for the main draw. Is there any reason why there is a need to carry out this additional step? Why can't the top two performing players of each group just progress automatically?

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Sorry, the format for Asian Cup has always been a bit confusing for me. Am I right to assume that the seeded players (12 in total) will be allocated into three groups (A, B, C) and each group cannot contain players from the same association? Those who ended up as first and second in each group will advance to Stage 2. The last four of the 16 registered players will be pitting each other in the so-called "Continental Cup" (Group D)?

Following which, the players who only placed third in Groups A, B and C will duke it out with the winner of the Continental Cup to determine two more slots for the main draw. Is there any reason why there is a need to carry out this additional step? Why can't the top two performing players of each group just progress automatically?

Primarily because the East Asian countries are too strong? So it's implemented as some kind of safety-net?

http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/125/rptid/465/Default.aspx
12. 試合方法

第1ステージ
* 上位12名の選手は、グループA,B,Cの3グループに分かれます。
(同じ協会の選手が同一グループにならないよう、抽選会で調整が行われる)
* 各地域代表者(南・南東・西・中央アジア)は、グループDとする。
* リーグ戦形式で1試合5ゲームマッチ
* 各グループの上位2名が第2ステージに進出。各グループの3位の選手は、グループDの1位の選手を交え、第2ステージののこり2枠をかけて試合を行います。
第2ステージ
* トーナメント形式で1試合7ゲームマッチ
12. Competition Format

Stage 1
* The top 12 players are divided into three groups, Groups A, B and C.
(Adjustments will be made at the draw so that players from the same association will not be in the same group)
* The regional representatives (South, Southeast, West, Central Asia) are in Group D.
* 1 best-of-5 match in round-robin format
* The top 2 players of each group advance to the second stage. The 3rd-placed players of each group and the 1st-placed player of Group D will compete for the 2 remaining slots in Stage 2.
Stage 2
* 1 best-of-7 match in knock-out format

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Japan is the place of upset, just like in Japan open last year. Will see how prepared are the CNT.

I seem to recall that FZD and LGY took both gold and silver at Asian Cup 2018 (also in Yokohama); they also took gold and silver at Asian Cup 2017 too. ML and FZD took both gold and silver in Japan open 2017, while FZD took gold in 2016.

So... as much as I like upsets against the Chinese, history suggests that Japan is not quite the place of upset in recent years... Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: FunnyBunny
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
I seem to recall that FZD and LGY took both gold and silver at Asian Cup 2018 (also in Yokohama); they also took gold and silver at Asian Cup 2017 too. ML and FZD took both gold and silver in Japan open 2017, while FZD took gold in 2016.

So... as much as I like upsets against the Chinese, history suggests that Japan is not quite the place of upset in recent years... Just my humble opinion.

As much as I dislike the modern style of Harimoto and LGY, I would love to see Ma Long to succeed this time. I hope he's back in 100% which is unbeatable.

Reactions: FunnyBunny
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
No one is unbeatable. 2017 WTTC final was a super close game and also Timo Boll was leading 8-4 and then lost the set, if he had won, 3:3, who knows what would have happened in the 7th. With only 11 points per set no one is unbeatable.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
No one is unbeatable. 2017 WTTC final was a super close game and also Timo Boll was leading 8-4 and then lost the set, if he had won, 3:3, who knows what would have happened in the 7th. With only 11 points per set no one is unbeatable.

Yeah. We all know the theory. But Ma Long is reality.:p