typical semi-beginner questions

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Hello, I’m new to serious table tennis, I used to play when I was a kid and I’ve always been pretty good. Plus I’m a tennis player.
I recently got into it again at work and just to say how uninformed I was, I didn’t even know there were new scoring rules and a new plastic ball.. but I did a lot of catching up, followed video training and generally tried to get a grasp of what is like to take this sport more seriously.
Anyhow. I play mostly at work with a bunch of more and less keen people, some like me are getting into it more seriously and there’s a desire to progress. I bought myself an already made butterfly racked on Amazon:Zhang Jike ZJX6 as Office bats are rubbish. it’s quite light, relatively fast and sticky, but I never liked the loss of feeling I get from it. My fast shots go long. Now that I learned more and recognised I did a classic mistake (my bat is still not as fast and heavy as some colleagues though. I’m getting used to it but can’t stop thinking it’s not the racket for me.
My style is currently all round (more all over). I like to think I’m naturally an offensive player as I try to move the opponent and close the rally soon with fast shots, but when I do that I make so many mistakes I’m now taking it easier and playing a more cautious game.
I also never liked the feeling of over padded bats. Looking and readying about equipment I’m thinking of getting a safe Stiga all round.i could splash some cash on something more expensive, but I worry I just like the sound of names such as Nittaku acoustic and the idea of making nice sounds when hitting the ball..
So for now my plan is the Stiga Allround all wood. Rubber wise, since I don’t like too much padding and don’t need megaspeed, I was tempted to put some 729fx super 1.5 thick on both side, or maybe a little thicker on fh. I used to have a good FH with old ball and younger body but now for some reason is my BH that seems to do the best attacking and defensive shots.
Is this Chinese rubber a bad idea I will regret or it’s a good starting point? I want to learn to get a proper feel of the ball and place it where I want, I play very close to the table and occasionally mid distance, at least for now in office play environment. Any advice would be very appreciated and I aplologise, I know there are hundreds of posts like this one but I could not find much about the Stiga allround +729fx super combination, which might be a bad sign!
Thanks!

In my opinion, the wood is the more important question than the rubber. You can easily change the rubber, a wood should stay with you at least one year in the beginning and after you settled your technique maybe forever.
I assume you want to buy the Stiga Allround Classic. As the name suggests, this really is a classic and maybe one of the most sold blade in history. You can't go wrong with that, 60-70% of our children in my club start with this blade.
For the 729FX, this might be a not so optimal choice. Sticky chinese rubber are somewhat special and I would suggest something "classic" like 1.8mm Donic Vario, Donic Coppa, Stiga Mendo, Sriver L or Tibhar Rapid.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey Andre,

Where about's (roughly) are you in the UK? There will undoubtedly be a few clubs in your area where you could go and practice/play (with your work friends as well).

The leagues are crying out for more people, so if you were looking to play a bit more seriously (it's still friendly), I can send you some links to clubs.

As for the bat - It sounds perfect for someone coming back to the sport.

The biggest mistake people generally make is that they use equipment that is too fast - To an amateur, a big fast forehand from a massive back swing looks epic - But it probably lands on the table 1 in 100 times.

If there is anything you remember from this thread, it should be SPIN SPIN SPIN.

Anyone can hit the ball hard, but can you spin the ball properly (rhetorical question at this stage, no beginner can!)

The 1.5 729fx will be perfect for this - It will allow you to spin the ball because the ball won't trampoline off the bat like it can do with other rubbers.

You'll also improve move quicker than players using equipment that are too fast for them.

As soon as you can get a basic understanding of spin, I'd hazard a guess you wouldn't ever lose a match against your work colleagues (assuming they aren't following your path).

That set up should last you a year or so (depending on how much you improve) - After that, you can change the rubbers to something a bit quicker - Maybe even a thicker version of the same rubber.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Cheers

Apr 2019
Thank you for all your quick answers. I live in south west London and any recomendations are more than welcome, I was thinking of getting some coaching to fix a lifetime of improvisated technique.
I selected the stiga all round as it seems the safe option, not being able to try any, and absolutely, I want a slow racket as I don’t need crazy speed. Thanks for the suggestions to use classic rubbers or slightly modern versions. 1.8 might be thin enough.
The reason I was tempted by the thin Chinese rubber was pretty much what NDH mentioned, to focus on spin! In fact before I got his reply, reading the previous (very helpful) replies, I though ‘ glad I asked about the Chinese rubber as I clearly don’t know what I’m talking about!’.
But seeing the last reply, I am tempted.. the 729 rubbers are so cheap that I might give them a try. Or, since I’m going for a safe blade, I might as well go with a safe rubber as suggested by Ingo and Trumpet. But right now the Chinese rubber is tempting me .. Nice to have found such an active forum here!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Hi, I would say yes go for it, especially as you don't like that "padded" (not to mention trampoline) feeling and some of the rubbers mentioned would already give you too much of it. But yours is a good choice. 1.5mm will do, you will just have to learn to brush the ball quite thinly but that's a good thing. And you'll get more of that direct feeling you're looking for. Enjoy and welcome.

Apr 2019
Hi. Reporting after the 1st day with Stiga allround and Friendship 729 1.5mm.
Feels like playing directly on balsa! I have adapted surprisingly fast, I have to push like mad on every shot and blocking that was one of my shots it is no longer... but I can see how possibly this setup might be good for learning the proper way, as if I spin or chop I have a huge amount of control but if I hit flat I might as well use an omelette pan.
The sound the racket makes is also rather unsophisticated!
I feel I should probably have chosen the thicker version as 1.5 of hard rubber and sponge is really nothing, or maybe I just have to adjust to the lightweight setup. Quite happy i no longer have to deal with the trampoline effect and another plus is that I’m getting double the workout! If I get nowhere I might swap the rubber for something less radically different from what I’ve used in the past but I’m quite happy with the experiment!

This user has no status.
I think slightly thicker maybe for next time but that's a good set up to learn. Maybe when rubbers are worn out get a thicker version. Then when they wear out move on to a faster rubber like Donic Baracuda or something once you improve. I recommend going to a club! I assume there's a few in South West London. Fusion is there but I don't know if they have beginner sessions. Most clubs are happy to have new players!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Usually I would go for 1.8mm on the forehand, I remember that is the thickness I played with when I was younger. I try to play an allround offensive game. Back then I never cared about changing the rubber when worn out, or no one in the club told me to do it. I just changed it when I felt for it.

So, since you are a tennis player, then possibly the foot work is good? Just a guess, but you may need to work on pushes, serve and receive and possibly shortening your strokes.

Apr 2019
Good guess Whocarez. I’m quite good at serves but definitelly pushes, shortening stokes and receiving - especially spinny serves- is what I need to work at. And my FH which years ago was my favourite stroke but nowadays I just can’t make proper contact with the ball when I want to top spin peoperly. I keep working on it and I’m looking forward to the eureka moment, I had a few but too rare. I have a frien at work who is trying to learn propely like myself but in general we play always matches among colleagues, which was fun when I wasn’t interested in improving and I had my shares of victories, now I’m busy thinking what I’m doing and I would rather train at a club, and the overthinking makes me lose matches... I will be looking to join a local club soon, I always loved this sport and at 45 it’s too late to do it. This summer my father in law is visiting and he’s an ex TT instructor fro JP.. at 70+ he can still destroy me, I Hope o can get some free training from him! About the equipment, I just hope I’m not forcing myself to use something too basic when modern technology could help, but I like the direct feel I get from my new setup and will stick with it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
I think 729 fx on max it will fit better because this rubber is extremely slow even with a thicker sponge .

In fact 999 999 seems a easier way to start. The rubber feels softer with a decent speed/spin/control ratio you could give a try

For someone coming from a premade paddle somenthing like dawei 2008 xp will fit pretty well.

Overall i think there is better rubbers for you right now.

Sent from my MI 6X using Tapatalk

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
Hello Andre74. As I read about your case it reminds my exactly my case. I had the exact same problems as yours. I started tt after 20 years away from the tables with a carbon bat and donic barracuda at both FH and BH. It didn't go well so I change the bat to a stiga offensive classic and my FH rubber to a hurricane 2 NEO. It was ok but the stiga Offencive classic with the hurricane 2 is a extremely slow combination, so I return to the donic barracuda. The pros was that the Chinese rubber gave me the opportunity to improve my strokes and to sense what is really happening after the changes at tt. (bigger ball....).
I think you are in the right path but after two or three months you will see that you need a faster rubber than the Chinese.

Apr 2019
Thanks all, your opinion and advices are all really useful. I think I will start understanding things better as soon as I go to a club and have a few sessions of continuous play. Geeking around and reading about equipment I noticed posts of players mentioning that they coat their blade with vanish, no idea if there’s a special one for TT and it it’s really needed. I guess If you own an expensive blade it’s worth protecting it. Or is it a good thing to do regardless? I glued my rubber directly on the wood without sealing the wood with any vanish of any sort.. Just wondering if once I start changing rubbers it would be better to clean the surface from glue and seal the wood before I re-glue. I have to say I really enjoyed the process of assembling the racket and cutting the rubber :)

Apr 2019
Thanks, when it comes the time to change the rubber I will seal it first. I wonder if people seal or treat the handle, the stiga all round was very economical and I guess the quality of the handle reflects it, but it’s a very porous almost brittle wood that feels really dry, probably good for the grip.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Since you are a tennis player, the best way I can think of to explain how to plan your game in table tennis is to give the example of federer playing baseline rallies not when he is playing one two punch , you can see how he controls the opponent with spin and variation ... I would suggest get a OFF- blade with softer rubbers but get max .. your priority coming back to the game should not be killing the ball but should be able to rally as long as and as much as you can .. this is the surest and fastest way to improve your strokes and the middle game ... well serve and and return games are different beasts but as long as you are not getting ahead of the game situation and trying to force a point you should be good ... there are multiple threads on this very subject in the forum and if you search a little bit you will find good suggestions from experienced forum members and coaches .... just to give yourself more options than presented here ...
my two cents . .don't go to a chinese rubber immediately, learn how to the spin the ball first and then try a chinese rubbers ... you need perfect form and a lot of physical force to use chinese rubbers to their potential ..

Apr 2019
Thanks again for all the advices.
Yesterday I visited a local club for the first time. I was invited by a senior member I contacted by email. He turned out being a super nice gentleman who showed me around, explained all the things I needed to know and he assested my level with a really enjoyable 40 minutes of play. Apparently I’m not bad, I got already a lot of advices to work on. Great experience, now I just have to see if I can fit some TT time in my schedule without upsetting my wife!
Equipment wise..
I have to say he was rather unimpressed by the ‘we call it dead rubber’ 729+stiga-allround. He said he totally gets why I want the control and if I like it, use it as I work on the basics. He said my Other racket, the premade Butterfly Zjx6 Wakaba I got on Amazon, is actually not that bad and I could consider going back to it as soon as I feel comfortable with my ‘feel’...
So I’m confused even more than before and probably I will just not think about equipment, stick to my dead rubber for a bit and just focus on my technique, which has definitely improved since I started to use it.. although on the back of my mind is the idea that I could make my life a little easier with different rubber. After a few days using my dead rubber setup I can already feel I could handle something faster and a little bouncier.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2018
Andre74
Use normal rubbers on stiga allround, for example yasaka rigan 2.0mm thick or Andro GTT 45/40 2.0mm.