Performing Handle Modification - Thin to Thick Handle?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Hello all,

I own an innerforce layer alc and my only issue with it is that the handle is too thin. I have read about handle modifications and want to perform once. However, I was wondering, wouldn't replacing the handle with a thicker one cause an issue where there is a gap between the handle and blade?

Kind of like

Original blade + handle bottom view

Handle [______]
_Blade [______]
Handle [______]

Modified with thick handle

Handle [________]
__Blade [______]
Handle [________]

Does anyone have advice regarding handle modifications?

Thank you!

This user has no status.
I changed the handle of my viscaria blade, to replace it with a Stiga Infinity handle (to feel like fan zhendong :D). The handle of the infinity was a bit thicker, so I sanded it down from a high grid to a low grid. Now my handle feels really smooth. The only problem was removing the viscaria handle, since I couldn't microwave the blade in order to soften the glue. My viscaria handle was ruined but the blade feels really nice with the infinity handle. Visc.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
I sinked the handle in boiling water but I don't think it did anything to the glue, so I broke the handle, leaving a small layer of wood in the blade, which I just sanded off. However, to remove the Infinity handle I microwaved it, if you are using an all wood blade you could microwave it for 10-15 seconds and the handle should almost fall by itself.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I sinked the handle in boiling water but I don't think it did anything to the glue, so I broke the handle, leaving a small layer of wood in the blade, which I just sanded off. However, to remove the Infinity handle I microwaved it, if you are using an all wood blade you could microwave it for 10-15 seconds and the handle should almost fall by itself.

Thank you for responding, I'll give the boiling water method a try. If not maybe just cut it open : I Did you glue your handle together with wood glue?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
The boiling water method scares me. All that moisture can cause the wood to swell. The swelling of the wood and the heating of the glue could cause adhesion issues between the wood veneers as easily as it breaks the adhesion of the handles to the top veneer.

I think using just hot air and some type of putty knife to help pry the handles up is the best choice.